YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a guy that wants to dive with us in a few weeks, he has a BSAC Novice II certification, not being particularly knowledgable about BSAC I have no idea at all about any restrictions this certification may carry. Can anyone please advise?

On a similar note, we come into contact with divers from all agencies all other the world even ones that are now defunct (the agencies that is). It would be really useful to me, and no doubt others on the board to have a single point of reference highlighting the various depth and other restrictions placed on a particular certification level.

Please feel free to use this thread to list the certification levels and restrictions of any agencies that you have knowledge of, superceded and older certifications would be useful too as we see lots of old cards!

Mods: Maybe this could be a useful sticky?

To kick things off:

PADI:
Jnr Scuba Diver - Under direct supervision of a Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor with a depth limit of 12m/40ft
Scuba Diver - Under direct supervision of a Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor with a depth limit of 12m/40ft
Jnr Openwater - Must be accommpanied by another certified diver 18yrs old or older (10 & 11yr olds must dive with a parent or guardian) with a depth limit of 12m/40ft
Openwater - 18m/60ft
Advanced Openwater - 30m/100ft
Advanced Openwater with Deep Speciality - 40m/130ft

BSAC:

NAUI:

SSI:

TDI:

·
412 Posts
BSAC:

Ocean Diver-20m
Sports Diver-35m
Dive Leader-50m
Advanced Diver-50m
First Class Diver-50m (i think)

TDI:

Nitrox-40m
Adv.Nitrox-40m
Deco. Procedures-45m
Extended Range-55m

I think thats the TDI stuff, some of it anyway.
Ian

·
GUE Tech and Cave Instructor
1,259 Posts
We have a guy that wants to dive with us in a few weeks, he has a BSAC Novice II certification, not being particularly knowledgable about BSAC I have no idea at all about any restrictions this certification may carry. Can anyone please advise?
Novice II is a very very old qualification. It basically was 2 6m open water dives, and pool training only. If he has not progressed beyond that, then assume he is a total beginner, as the Novice II qualification hasn't been awarded for a lot of years (1997 maybe?)

HTH

John

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I would just like to point out these depths are NOT restrictions but RECOMMENDATIONS.

Also, C Card level does not always have any bearing on the ability or experience of the diver.

Thanks to the culture of today it won't be too long before recommendations become "you will die if you go below this depth until you've spent another X hundreds of pounds training with us!"

·
Proven ability to roll with it.
2,293 Posts
He's better "qualified" than some on here!

·
Registered
16 Posts
ScotSAC:

Sport Diver: 30m (40m if accompanied by Master Diver Instructor)
Master Diver: 40m (50m with approval of Regional Coach)
Qualified diver with the Deep Diving Award: 50m

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
BSAC:

Ocean Diver-20m
Sports Diver-35m
Dive Leader-50m
Advanced Diver-50m
First Class Diver-50m (i think)
Can I also point out that just because somebody has any of these grades,
does not mean they have actualy been there.

Ocean Diver can be done at almost any depth with a restiction to not
exceed. If done shallow, is normally around the 10-15m mark.
Sports is only 20m on completion and needs progression to 35m.
Dive Leader 25m max and again progression.
Advanced same as DL
First Class now same as DL*

So you could have a BSAC Advanced that has only done 25m and the
moral is check the logbook.

*First class dropped ERD this year, which would be the course that
demanded deeper than 25m. So old 1st class deeper, but new? Check
the logbook :)

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
BSAC:

Ocean Diver-20m
Sports Diver-35m
Dive Leader-50m
Advanced Diver-50m
First Class Diver-50m
These are air/nitrox limits.

A Sports Diver and above may now be BSAC Mixed Gas or RB qualified, and thus have different appropriate limits.

Adrian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts