YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thin I have never understood is this,

If I buy a camera housing it may well be rated to 40M, same could be true of a torch or any other rated bit of kit and I am pretty sure that the depth stated is a little conservative, i.e it wont flood at 414

Yet, when I buy a watch I need a 200M rated one, I know form the experience of others 50M rated watches pop at around 15M

So why the discrepancy with watches?

·
Unusually Large Member
1,122 Posts
Because they are only pressure tested in air. (usually anyway)
Dive computers are wet pressure tested, as are top priced watches.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

D

·
Platinum Member - I wish...
776 Posts
Wiki's Definitions

Water Resistant 100 m
Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports.
NOT suitable for diving

Diver's 100 m
Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving.
Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches are generally old(er) watches.

Seems very odd

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because they are only pressure tested in air. (usually anyway)
Dive computers are wet pressure tested, as are top priced watches.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

D
But all top end watches are at least 200M as is my under £100 best part of 20 years old never flooded or stopped working watch so no discernible difference there

So all stuff apart from watches are wet tested? And if the air pressure or water pressure are both say 10 bar does it matter if it is wet or dry pressure....and wy would they not wet test watches?

{sorry, I may have been possessed by young master James}

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
Isn't there something to do with static and dynamic pressures too? Like a 50m proof watch being fine doing nothing at 50m, but start to move it about, and the extra 'dynamic' pressure of water makes it pop?

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isn't there something to do with static and dynamic pressures too? Like a 50m proof watch being fine doing nothing at 50m, but start to move it about, and the extra 'dynamic' pressure of water makes it pop?
But this is true of my camera housing, torch etc, they all get moved about.

I heard that line when training and it didn't convince me then, still doesn't now...

This is why it confuses me.

If I take a 40M housing, a 40M torch and a 50M watch to 40M the watch will pop, the rest of the kit will be fine...?!?!?!?

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So my housing should be good to 120M and my watch 600M...so long as I don't move them about...... corking!

Is it not just a simple case of watch manufacturers over stating their product?

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
It's often surprising to see things that aren't supposed to be waterproof surviving at depth too - I took a regular AA Maglite down to 30m and it worked OK, not very bright underwater but the torch stayed dry, and it still works. In fact, I've upgraded it to an LED bulb so I might take it back in for another swim! I think I've read on this forum tales of people taking those cheap disposable underwater cameras down to way below their 5m rating too.

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
Isn't that false advertising or something? Why the hell does it say 100m if it can't go to 100m?
Because it doesn't say water proof, it simply says water resistant.

If it does say water proof it's either a very old watch or its makers are setting themselves up for a very long fall.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts