YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my cylinders back 02 cleaned - same day - from DDS in Swarkstone area / Derby - SAME DAY SERVICE! and 2 cylinders for only £12.50 ea -

Can't beat that eh?
At that price I will use nitrox backgas a bit more in the 30m-35m range as for a few quid extra I like the extra margin of safety.

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
But, will Go Dive fille cylinders tested by them now ?
Mind you, as long as Stoney will, or places by the sea, then its a good deal.

I just know there is a bit of history between Dive Cellar and Go Dive with them both being in Derby.

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
no go dive wont fill them still but no big problem as they always hot fill any way so you only get a 200 fill at best, stoney will fill them ok

Moderator Note: This is an opinion of a YD member not a statement of policy for Go-Dive. If you need to know what Go-Dive's Policy is, then contact Go-Dive.

·
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was partially aware there was an issue but haven't heard about anyone else refusing to fill cylinders cleaned by DDS. I don't get fills from DDS and now Dosthill have started doing Nitrox I will probably use that (before anyone starts their compressor has been sorted out now - and that is proved as I have most fills from there and the cylinders were clean inside when inspected)

·
9,371 Posts
I've never had less than 220 from Go Dive personally, but I do know that they fill them pretty quickly.
But if Stoney and elsewhere will fill them, then its not a problem.
Out of interest how do they know if Dive Cellar have tested or cleaned them ? I assume there is a DDC sticker on them somewhere.

·
9,371 Posts
Talking of Derby Dive Shops is the one that used to be in an industrial unit somewhere near the old football ground still there ? I Have no idea what its called, I just remember buying a few bits from there over the years.

·
708 Posts
Talking of Derby Dive Shops is the one that used to be in an industrial unit somewhere near the old football ground still there ? I Have no idea what its called, I just remember buying a few bits from there over the years.
i think its the same person that used to run that shop runs dive cellar, there is a great big sticker on your cylinder that says derby dive cellar thats why go dive wont fill it, its ok if you don't have your cylinder o2 cleaned as you can remove the sticker and just leave the stamp there, one thing that good about dive cellar is he will do nitrox fills to what ever mix while u wait.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
GoDive have filled my 12l's several times over the past year and I have big Dive Cellar stickers on them. Always had a fast fill and 220 bar plus too.
DDS are cheap and efficient but the state of the shed always worries me and the fact that you have to call to meet him rather than just turn up is a bit of a pain.

·
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fair points but I think he knows what he is doing - had my regs serviced there without issue and he showed me the IP pressure which doesn't usually happen. That said I didn't get the usual 'bag of bits' that give you the peace of mind that something has actually been done. I think the Go-Dive thing goes back some time but that is their business not mine. I have no issue with either business.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
GoDive have filled my 12l's several times over the past year and I have big Dive Cellar stickers on them. Always had a fast fill and 220 bar plus too.
DDS are cheap and efficient but the state of the shed always worries me and the fact that you have to call to meet him rather than just turn up is a bit of a pain.
He lives about 200 yards away and runs the retail bit from there. The shed is a bit of a shed, though! However he had his IDEST inspection a couple of months ago and sailed through it. I'd rather have someone in a scruffy workshop who knows their onions than a sparkly shop who leave your regs weeping and freeflowing.
As I understand it, Mark at Go Dive used to work for Phil at DDS.

·
Doing it wrong since '94
418 Posts
I had the 'pleasure' of waiting about 30 mins after Phill had filled my bottles once - at his old shop on the Robinson Ind Est - for him to find a hot air gun to remove the Go-Dive stickers that were firmly attached. Phill, on seeing the stickers, just went postal and the red mist descended and he just would not give me my cylinders back until they were removed!!! Bloody annoying at the time but quite funny on reflection :D

I think it fair to say that there was not a lot of love lost between Phill and Mark some time ago...

·
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes - he said - worked well for me as I would normally wait 2 weeks for 02 clean thru the usual channels. Like you said I don't care if he operates in a shipping container - as long as the job is good and the regs work ok - which they do. The cost saving was quite alot actually so I'm happy. Cylinders have 220 bar in so they are fine too
He lives about 200 yards away and runs the retail bit from there. The shed is a bit of a shed, though! However he had his IDEST inspection a couple of months ago and sailed through it. I'd rather have someone in a scruffy workshop who knows their onions than a sparkly shop who leave your regs weeping and freeflowing.
As I understand it, Mark at Go Dive used to work for Phil at DDS.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
But, will Go Dive fille cylinders tested by them now ?
Mind you, as long as Stoney will, or places by the sea, then its a good deal.

I just know there is a bit of history between Dive Cellar and Go Dive with them both being in Derby.
Not sure why you'd want them to. When we rang Go Dive to tell them a fill fresh from their compressor stank of oil they told us we must be mistaken because they'd just changed the filters...

I certainly would think carefully before taking an O2 clean cylinder there.

Dive Cellar continue to do a good job, I used to nip in there regularly and they did cheap nitrox and servicing, good to hear it continues. Currently considering driving two hours up the motorway to get tests and cleans done up there as local shops are properly taking the piss now by comparison.

Digs.

·
708 Posts
great service from dive cellar went over this morning to get a few stages filled with various high mixes and only took about 20mins go dive and stoney wanted me to leave it with them for a few days, plus he will add to the mix u have in which makes the fill even cheaper

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
no go dive wont fill them still but no big problem as they always hot fill any way so you only get a 200 fill at best, stoney will fill them ok

Moderator Note: This is an opinion of a YD member not a statement of policy for Go-Dive. If you need to know what Go-Dive's Policy is, then contact Go-Dive.
I bought an ali stage from them and asked for a fill of 80%. It was filled very promptly and quite cheaply. When I got it home I checked and it was 230 bar, plus it was bang on 80%.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Chalk up another postive feedback for Dive Cellar - I've had my cylinders O2 cleaned and generally serviced there for a couple of years with no problems. I have also bought some bits and bobs there over the years - agin, no issues, just sound advice.
It is a shame though that the local dive stores fall out to this degree and I, for one, would be very interested to know why Go Dive would refuse to fill my cylinders just because they were serviced by a rival. Anyone from Go Dive care to explain? PM is fine or posting here... If there's a good reason that might affect my cylinders, I would like to know about it. If it is simply comercial rivally, that would be reassuring, though not necessarily something I'd condone.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I had my twins filled at Go-Dive yesterday, 32% and 220 bar, also had a 7lt stage filled with 02. Never had a problem and I've used them since a member of our club had a problem with Phil.

·
"Dyson with Death" diver!
2,081 Posts
This is NOT my experience from DDS as I always get my cylinders tested there but I do know of our club members having problems after reg services, having said that the issues were corrected straight away but mean another return trip of 40 miles to return them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts