YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Head up or horizontal as you can't vent air from your feet!!

Cheers

Adam

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts

Cheers

Adam
why would you be venting on the descent? Once you are below the surface surely you are adding gas rather than venting it.

The suit will have vented at the surface anyway so once that is done I can dump the remaining gas in the gas in any position to begin the descent and then stay pretty much horizontal or slightly heads down.

·
Proven ability to roll with it.
2,293 Posts
It depends on whether I'm being

a) a freefall parachutist
b) a Stuka divebomber

·
Registered
13,519 Posts

Adam
I have often gone slightly head down on the decent especially if there is a bit of a current running.

There isn't a right or wrong way, go down anyway you want as long as you do it safely.

·
2,293 Posts

Cheers

Adam
lol LMFAO L2READ NOOBZ - Garf PWNED JOO

ooops this isn't the Warcraft thread is it :D

·
2,293 Posts
Reactions: dave archer

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Yeah its me being silly, I have adopted a head down descent at times.... I suppose if you were very head down- like vertical then any air you add would migrate to your feet and not remove any squeeze from your torso ?

Cheers

Adam

·
3,293 Posts
I know this will have been asked before, but should the descent be head up or head down?

Thanks
Hi

Ideally you would want to descend in a horizontal position so that you can see what you are dropping on (usually some poor diver minding his own business :) )and also keep your fins out of the way of the silt, so you don't ruin the viz before you get to the bottom!

In a horizontal position you are also able to be closer to your buddy when travelling down a shotline for example. It is generally easier to descend this way and you might even use less gas, as there is no real need to keep moving your fins.

Many people will descend in a heads up vertical position, simply because they find it hard to stay horizontal and stationary in the water column, and that will make it hard to stay with your buddy (not to mention of course that they are simply copying their instructors, who also can't do this).

It takes a little time to learn but pays massive dividends in terms of comfort and control later, and is something I would recommend to every diver.

Andy

PS Unless you are on a scooter, then it is heads down as vertical as you can in full pitch dive bomber mode! :)

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I prefer heads down for the first few metres then tend to be more horizontal. I tend to do a quick check on the 5 metre mark out of habit.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
*copied from my reply on the BSAC forum*

Horizontal, knees bent, right hand holding the shotline (my computers are on that arm too), left hand faffing, switching the torch on and hitting the direct feeds where necessary.

Dumping all the air and dropping like a stone is fun but on deeper dives gives me the CO2 willies especially if I've had to swim for the shot so I take it slower. And stop at 6m anyway to check my buddy, make sure nothing is hosing air out and have a sanity check.

20m dives I plummet like a rock and see how deep I can get my knees in the silt. Or if I am showing off, plummet down like a rock and at the last moment hit the direct feed and come to a perfect smug hover 12" from the bottom.

·
Registered
759 Posts

. Or if I am showing off, plummet down like a rock and at the last moment hit the direct feed and come to a perfect smug hover 12" from the bottom.
Oooooo :teeth:

I wish I could do that!

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
20m dives I plummet like a rock and see how deep I can get my knees in the silt. Or if I am showing off, plummet down like a rock and at the last moment hit the direct feed and come to a perfect smug hover 12" from the bottom.
that's called "The Mission Impossible"

looks like a freefall parachutist, but then blips the direct feed and stops dead just like ickle Tom did in that implausible film.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
that's called "The Mission Impossible"

looks like a freefall parachutist, but then blips the direct feed and stops dead just like ickle Tom did in that implausible film.
It's not actually that difficult. In a single or twin 7's where you can control all of your buoyancy with your suit you can "feel" how much squeeze you have on the suit when you are neutral and inject just that amount.

In twin 12's it's a bugger cos you need to add to the wing too so I don't do it then. Mind you I'm not normally doing a 20m dive in twin 12's.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts

Horizontal, knees bent, right hand holding the shotline (my computers are on that arm too), left hand faffing, switching the torch on and hitting the direct feeds where necessary.

Dumping all the air and dropping like a stone is fun but on deeper dives gives me the CO2 willies especially if I've had to swim for the shot so I take it slower. And stop at 6m anyway to check my buddy, make sure nothing is hosing air out and have a sanity check.

Stop boasting! Your willy would buckle or sink straight into the silt!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts