YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· All hail the mighty ZOM
26,665 Posts
Stop boasting! Your willy would buckle or sink straight into the silt!
My gut would hit the bottom first. Unless Missus Woz had been violating me on the way down the shot (which has happened before) in which case it looks like I have deployed a DSMB downwards.

· DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,096 Posts
Free fall position all the way :)

I too like to stop just before hitting the bottom like Woz, however off Dover you often do not know you are at the bottom until you pile into it :)

We like to call this the "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Thud" approach to diving descents :)

· Registered
24,810 Posts
20m dives I plummet like a rock and see how deep I can get my knees in the silt. Or if I am showing off, plummet down like a rock and at the last moment hit the direct feed and come to a perfect smug hover 12" from the bottom.
Would that be a proper 12" or a blokes 12 inches :D

Either way, you can get a much smugger effect if you manage it at 6inches.
(which is much better on a sandy bottom than an old wreck)
:D

26,665 Posts
Or if the viz is particluarly shiity like 2 foot (yes I'm looking at you Smudge) getting to 35m where the wreck should be, then 40m, then wondering if you will ever see the seabed then meeting it at 43m rather suddenly and swearing copiously into your reg.

26,665 Posts

OK next Stoney gig we need one of those surveyor's measure thingies, a video camera and some willing judges. Then we take it in turns to see who can fall off the cliff next to the helicopter and get closest to the 20m shelf without touching it. No injection of gas allowed until you are 18m.

There will be a prize for the winner. Not sure what yet. I'll email Miranda, Kate and Dr Alice to see if they will present it naked.

· A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,773 Posts
I think this depends on where in your development as a diver you are.

When you first start and your buoyancy control is still being learned/perfected, it makes sense to have your fins lowest so that if you have not added enough air to compensate for the squeezing then you can use your fin to compensate. It may not be pretty but it works and is where we all started.

As your buoyancy control improves then you can become more horizontal and even head down if you desire.

When I have sticky ears I find going head up a bit helps ....

HTH
Mal

· Registered
69 Posts
I'd have thought the conditions might affect things. I dive pretty exclusively in clear water, well at least I can see 6-10 feet or so always. Then I descend horizontal or head down if I'm actually playing catch up to join the group or whatever. I might reconsider that if the vis was only inches though and not seeing the bottom before I hit it was a real possibility. I don't like touching things U/W anyway - but especially not dicking into it with my head! :)

· Registered
24,810 Posts
OK next Stoney gig we need one of those surveyor's measure thingies, a video camera and some willing judges. Then we take it in turns to see who can fall off the cliff next to the helicopter and get closest to the 20m shelf without touching it. No injection of gas allowed until you are 18m.

There will be a prize for the winner. Not sure what yet. I'll email Miranda, Kate and Dr Alice to see if they will present it naked.
[indignant mode on]
Oh. Fine. set it up for the boys, why don't you.:D
[/indignant mode off]

I think ' theodolite' is the word you are looking for, but i don't know if that is the right spelling. No doubt someone will be along to tell us the right spelling. On the basis that the only people who know how to spell it probably use one, no doubt we could get them to judge :D
If the rule is no injection of gas until 18m, we need to make sure that the depth hasn't changed. Last time I dived it, i only got about 18.5 by the jellylopter :)

On a more serious note, i actually descend a shot line face down, horizontal, right hand on the shot, Only finning a bit if the current is still giving a bit of a flagpole effect.

· Remember Member
510 Posts
I think this depends on where in your development as a diver you are.

When you first start and your buoyancy control is still being learned/perfected, it makes sense to have your fins lowest so that if you have not added enough air to compensate for the squeezing then you can use your fin to compensate. It may not be pretty but it works and is where we all started.

As your buoyancy control improves then you can become more horizontal and even head down if you desire.

When I have sticky ears I find going head up a bit helps ....
This overtly sensible and measured response has effectively killed the thread... bah!

· Banned
1,571 Posts
Woz;701742 Or if I am showing off said:
Not that I'm implying anything, but I've seen this before only to discover they were actually stopped 12" by their belly! (but if you didn't see then you wouldn't know,and obviously this is not the case here)

Chris/z

Reactions: Finless

26,665 Posts
[indignant mode on]
Oh. Fine. set it up for the boys, why don't you.:D
[/indignant mode off]

I think ' theodolite' is the word you are looking for, but i don't know if that is the right spelling. No doubt someone will be along to tell us the right spelling. On the basis that the only people who know how to spell it probably use one, no doubt we could get them to judge :D
If the rule is no injection of gas until 18m, we need to make sure that the depth hasn't changed. Last time I dived it, i only got about 18.5 by the jellylopter :)
Right we can have Monty along too for some buff candy for the laydeez and whoopsies.

It's not a theodolite we need but the big red and white ruler they get the apprentice to wander round the site with so they can take measurements.

· Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,340 Posts

I hate a sandy bottom. I prefer to come in off the beach and both have a shower first.

· Scallop serial killer
1,302 Posts
I hate a sandy bottom. I prefer to come in off the beach and both have a shower first.
I hope that 'off the beach' is your girlfriend.

Reactions: Sooty Stoo
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.