YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
15,970 Posts
Talking of ascending (not that we were :) ) I have a real problem ascending horizontally (although I descend horizontally). I feel that I want to be vertical with the line in front of me. For some obscure reason I feel much less in control if I'm horizontal, even on the safety stop which I can hold with no problems but prefer to be vertical.

Why should this be?

· Registered
3,393 Posts
I always go down head first when in a wetsuit but I'm a bit cautious in a drysuit, having seen one diver do a rapid feet-first ascent when his suit inflation valve stuck. After the first six metres, watching to make sure my buddy is OK (usually my wife) and checking that all equipment is functioning correctly (no stray bubbles etc.) I tend to go down almost horizontal with a slight upward list in case of a malfunction.

· Lucky Man
2,080 Posts
Talking of ascending (not that we were :) ) I have a real problem ascending horizontally (although I descend horizontally). I feel that I want to be vertical with the line in front of me. For some obscure reason I feel much less in control if I'm horizontal, even on the safety stop which I can hold with no problems but prefer to be vertical.

Why should this be?
Maybe you are keeping youself a little negative, and finning slightly to maintain position? This can feel safer as you feel like you might sink, butn not like you might ascend accidentally...

HTH

Dave
PS sorry didn't get to drop into Aquanauts and say hello at the weekend, ended up diving out of QAB instead due to the buggering around with the lock gates...

· Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
15,970 Posts
Maybe you are keeping youself a little negative, and finning slightly to maintain position? This can feel safer as you feel like you might sink, butn not like you might ascend accidentally...

HTH

Dave
PS sorry didn't get to drop into Aquanauts and say hello at the weekend, ended up diving out of QAB instead due to the buggering around with the lock gates...
That sounds about right. Easy to put a bit more air in the wing if necessary, not so easy to stop a hurtle towards the surface from 5 metres :)

It's a real pain with the lock-gate at the moment....the clock is ticking on every ruddy dive so we get back in time.

· Nigel Hewitt
7,123 Posts
I tend to point in the direction I'm going so, unless we've got the slack right on, it tends to start head down but end a bit horizontal. I swim down as sinking take way too long on the CCR unless we're doing enough deco to carry a couple of steel stages.

· Registered
125 Posts
A head-down attitude seems to make you more prone to the narks.

Good exercise - descend horizontally, legs bent to stop air migration, then at the bottom pick up a second weightbelt.

Lay it on your back (open) and ascend again horizontally.

Do it right and the belt will stay in place, do it wrong ...

I believe it comes under CBL

Seadeuce
... and yes, I have done it.

· 14-9-09
3,169 Posts
A head-down attitude seems to make you more prone to the narks.

Good exercise - descend horizontally, legs bent to stop air migration, then at the bottom pick up a second weightbelt.

Lay it on your back (open) and ascend again horizontally.

Do it right and the belt will stay in place, do it wrong ...

I believe it comes under CBL

Seadeuce
... and yes, I have done it.

Mmmm, I really can't see the point in practicing horizontal ascents - that just seems like a way to get your head jammed up someone's Jacksy or worse. It is worth practising dumping air out of your suit cuffs or neck seal in a hurry.

Berko:)

· YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
For me, normally the freefall horizontal position. If my ears are a bit sticky, then head up to reduce the hydrostatic pressure on my eustachian tubes and kleep em open.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.