YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My elderly parents car went kaput so they sold it on for scrap, the man who came to pick it up signed his bit and they signed there bit and both sent it off to the DVLA and forgot about it. My dad reclaimed the excess tax on the disc and went away happy.

Now the DVLA are chassing him for tax on the car becuase its not taxed....well no its been destroyed........wheres the certificate of destruction........we sent it to you...........we havent got it give us the money or a cert of destruction.......erm we sent it to you.........see you in court.

Apparntly once you have sent it off to the DVLA if you dont hear from them you have to ring them.........or you become liable again........err feck that for a game of soldiers.

So every one sends them the paper work, they 'misplace it', have no way of getting out of this situation and my parents have to pay tax for a car that doesnt exist.

No one at the DVLA can deal with it becuase they its seems they are just a call centre now days and no seems to have authority/brains to be able to deal with a non standard issue.

Dad's livid refusing to pay and ready to start the revolution and for once i'm with him.

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
I sold my car to the scrap man and I got a letter back about 2-3 weeks later from the DVLA in confirmation..that was only about 3-4 months ago

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
My elderly parents car went kaput so they sold it on for scrap, the man who came to pick it up signed his bit and they signed there bit and both sent it off to the DVLA and forgot about it. My dad reclaimed the excess tax on the disc and went away happy.

Now the DVLA are chassing him for tax on the car becuase its not taxed....well no its been destroyed........wheres the certificate of destruction........we sent it to you...........we havent got it give us the money or a cert of destruction.......erm we sent it to you.........see you in court.

Apparntly once you have sent it off to the DVLA if you dont hear from them you have to ring them.........or you become liable again........err feck that for a game of soldiers.

So every one sends them the paper work, they 'misplace it', have no way of getting out of this situation and my parents have to pay tax for a car that doesnt exist.

No one at the DVLA can deal with it becuase they its seems they are just a call centre now days and no seems to have authority/brains to be able to deal with a non standard issue.

Dad's livid refusing to pay and ready to start the revolution and for once i'm with him.
I can understand both you and your parents being upset by this, but are you seriously suggesting that there is a department at DVLA which deliberately misplaces or destroys documentation to screw an extra few quid out of motorists?

I'm sure that you must be aware that things do occassionally go missing in our great postal system and I'm sure DVLA hear the old 'I scrapped it or sold it' story about 1000 times every day! How do they seperate the genuine from the fraudulent?

It's unfortunate but on this occassion it does not seem like the DVLA is at fault.

PS, if your dad succesfully reclaimed some of the tax there is an audit trail which should make it reasonably easy to resolve this issue.

·
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Erm.......nowhere did is suggest that the DVLA were doing this on purpose to squezze additional tax penny's. I dont think this is the case and never said that i did.

I'm peed off becuase there is so obvioulsy an audit trail but becuase it falls out of the normal the front line telephone bods do not have the authority/brains to work it out. Instead they are assuming a pensioner is quilty now cough up. Every one involded from the scrap dealer to CAB have written and rung the DVLA and have come away with the same sense of frustration.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Erm.......nowhere did is suggest that the DVLA were doing this on purpose to squezze additional tax penny's. I dont think this is the case and never said that i did.

I'm peed off becuase there is so obvioulsy an audit trail but becuase it falls out of the normal the front line telephone bods do not have the authority/brains to work it out. Instead they are assuming a pensioner is quilty now cough up. Every one involded from the scrap dealer to CAB have written and rung the DVLA and have come away with the same sense of frustration.
The venal bit comes very close...

Adrian

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I scrapped a car recently and all the DVLA asked for was a letter of confirmation which they acknowleged soon after. It sounds as if standards vary quite a bit.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Had a SORN fine for my dads Audi, dispite sending a letter to them
saying it was parked on the drive and the circumstances etc.

They sent a reply saying that I would need to get the named owner
to sign it. Suggested that it might be a tad difficult and the death
certificate included with the original letter may have given them a clue :eek:

·
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok the title of the post is a rhetorical flourish.

Anyway i dont want reasoned debate i just wanted to express my p*ssedoffness

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
I thought that the offence was to have an untaxed car on a public road - there are those that know more that confirm this.
If this is the case, then if you do nothing, they stil have to prove that you have the car on the road, therefore you should be ok.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I thought that the offence was to have an untaxed car on a public road - there are those that know more that confirm this.
If this is the case, then if you do nothing, they stil have to prove that you have the car on the road, therefore you should be ok.
Hi Paul,

AFAIA under the new rules unless you declare your vehicle off the road they send you a fine.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Not any more Paul. If it is off the road, you have to say so. This if waht the SORN is for.
So either you pay tax, fill out and send to DVLA a SORN, sell the car, or scrap it.

Otherwise you pay the tax. Irrespective of what the state of the car is. Too many people not paying...

Adrian

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Hmmm, I thought that were were presumed innocent until proven guilty in this country ;)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
no this is definately another way to screw us

this government and it's idiosincratic systems only exist to screw the law abiding citizen. :angry:

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Erm, as far as I can see, a piece of paperwork has gone missing in the post (just like millions of other peices every day). Presumably you copied it before you sent it off? Just send them the copy. Failing that, you know who took it away, get them to confirm it. Either course of action will prevent a court case, and alot of grief for your Dad.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
OK, so what do we do about my old car which was scrapped but the DVLA keep sending me SORN stuff for it? Everything got sent off, but obviously things went wrong. I just keep signing the SORN (as it very definitely is) and sending it back, but this is becoming tiresome, as I move house etc. and eventually I'll forget to do it and get nailed. Can I just send them a letter and tell them to leave me alone? I have no idea who it was who scrapped it, nor do I have any proof that they sent their bit in.

Digs.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
OK, so what do we do about my old car which was scrapped but the DVLA keep sending me SORN stuff for it? Everything got sent off, but obviously things went wrong. I just keep signing the SORN (as it very definitely is) and sending it back, but this is becoming tiresome, as I move house etc. and eventually I'll forget to do it and get nailed. Can I just send them a letter and tell them to leave me alone? I have no idea who it was who scrapped it, nor do I have any proof that they sent their bit in.

Digs.
I think you are supposed to get some kind of official record of destruction from the scrapping company. If they put it back on the road, you can still be liable...

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
This car couldn't go back on the road. It was fairly comprehensively crushed once the spare bits (wheels and a bit of the interior) were taken out. So how can I prevent getting more of these notes or speeding tickets for a car which doesn't exist.

Digs.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
This car couldn't go back on the road. It was fairly comprehensively crushed once the spare bits (wheels and a bit of the interior) were taken out. So how can I prevent getting more of these notes or speeding tickets for a car which doesn't exist.

Digs.
You'll have to speak to the DVLA then. Getting speeding tickets is all too possible if the plates are out there somewhere. And you have no proof it's not you...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts