YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I know this is a bit of an open question with no fixed answers but.... i would really appreciate some qualified advice from you guys.

I need to buy a drysuit. Will have about £300 to 400 ( would prefere to spend less!!!) to spend (ish) but I am after the best deal: for the best quality / price.

I would prefere something futureproof thats good for cold deep diving. Any ideas??

Basically any suggestions on shops and makes, also is it worth trying to get something from the dive show in birmingham next month.

Is it better to go for a neoprene suit or a shell dry suit??
or can i make one out of fertilizer bags, a bucket and a bit of gaffa tape!!!

Ps I mean dry suits not dey suits as the heading suggests! postings when drunk often leads to slight speallingg mishtakesa!!!!!

Honestly all suggestions greatfully recieved..

Cheers

(Edited by Ben at 10:15 pm on Sep. 10, 2002)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Aye, I recommend Otter suits but try to get the new style of boot...sure if you get a suit that fits at the dive show good job, why not look. You will find there is a big Aerdura suit (is that how you spell it??) community on this board tho'...I would say membrane every time, so do GUE...even if you wear a bin bag (no comments boys) dive safe, Paul

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ben,

Thanx for the grand tour-de-quarry at weekend.
As you may guess I will have a new compass next time we meet.
As a tite-arse - and because I was also buying for two, I spent as little as possible on my gear  -
- LOOT always worth a looksee ( on Web) as you can pick up a full set of gear for the price of a good suit.
- Ebay good for a laff ( that why some of my gear is US - shews psi not bar on gauge ) although more of a gamble as you wont see afore you bid
- for suits, I have bought mine ( and Susan's ) from Divers Warehouse Sale - at around 1/3, 1/4 the full price.  My suggestion would be to put up with rent/ borrow - which probably wont be too many trips between now and the sale.

If you want any help/ advise or someone to view with you,  pls ask.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Divers Warehouse all the way.  i got a neoprene  dry suit from them for 200 nicker and its a great dry warm suit.  cant fault it or them.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Personally I'd go for neoprene too in less warm water eg.UK.There are pros and cons to both.The Boat Centre in Bolton 01204 861686 has at times various dry bags in, all new and more importantly,cheap.I bought a Diamond 8mm with HD zip for £100not that long ago,he also had membranes at the time for about the same money.Has to be worth a call for that money.Cheers,Hobby.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Hobby!! long time no talky!  where you been soldier?  

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ben,

I bought my suit 2nd Hand off e-bay.  Luckily it fits like a glove and has kept me very dry.  I've been v lucky from what I can gather - I have yet to see anything else 2nd hand that would come close to fitting me.

Anyway its a Northern Diver Divemaster (compressed neoprene) and I have had no probs with it - although I have heard some very negative comments about these from others.

My guess is that you will hear as many opinions as there are folks on the forum.  Having seen and heard questions like this elsewhere - it seems you shouldn't go wrong with an Otter or O'Three.

Cheers,

Tim

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Hobby - I thought you'd vanished off the face of the planet!  Welcome back - good to hear from you!  Dive safely.  :froggy:

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Sounds like good advice, cheers all.

Im off to Stoney on Saturday (14th) and their are a few people up for Capernwray on Sunday (15th) for a quick dip, if anyone else has no plans and fancies it give us a shout, the more the merrier.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

I'm looking for a dry suit too.... thinking about the Otter..good price and good quality...the new suit costs 900 euro's here! any cheaper in the UK?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

My Otter was £465 from a dive show, that was without an undersuit but with cargo pockets added. And braces.
Haven't the foggiest idea what that is in euros..

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Ben
Already mentioned the Otter (diverswarehouse) neoprene and membrane suits are good value for money. With the Diveshow coming up theres probably going to be some bargains there also.

Excellent advice already given by the other members.
One thing I would say that you need to consider the after sales service, as any suit needs routine things sorting with wear and tear ie new seals, boots.

It's make things easier if you have access to repairs locally or within a reasonble travelling distance.
Having had suits repaired/maintained by other manufacturers i've found Diverswarehouse very reasonable, on repairs and the best to date.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've still got my original 8mm uncompressed neoprene Northern Diver suit but now use Otter Hammerhead membrane - I think neoprene is easier for buoyancy control (faster fill, faster dump),  membrane takes more practice and skill for buoyancy control but is better for comfort and you get to ponce around the car park in your romper suit inbetween dives :cheesy:
PS 8mm drysuit is newly repaired by Divers Warehouse and for sale, would suit 5'8" slim person (not me at the moment), size 8 boots, also has a pee-zip!! very very well worth the extra money :wink:

(Edited by Steve W at 2:04 pm on Sep. 17, 2002)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts