YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Don't know if this has been covered before, if it has my apologies.

I had a fairly frightening experience last weekend with what I thought was just a "crick in the neck".

What started as a dull ache when I got up turned into the worst pain I've ever had by dinnertime, and according to Liz I lost all my colour, was pouring with sweat and shaking like a leaf. All I remember is having to lie down while fearing the worst. This happened twice, once in the hotel where we were booked for Sunday lunch(which I never got!) and again in the hospital.

At the hospital, the A&E doctor told me it was all due to a "muscle spasm" in my neck and that it would heal itself, in time.

Since it happened on Sunday, it's a hell of a lot better and I'm just about back to whatever passes as normal for me.  

Now, however, I've got another point to ponder.

My neighbour and workmate has told Liz that my symptoms are classic of Diabetes. As my dad suffers from this, I'm understandably a bit worried.

Does anyone have any experience of this and also, what are the implications for diving?

If it matters, I shall be 40 in a few weeks, not overweight and I keep myself fairly fit.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Get yourself to your GP ASAP, the quick and easy test for diabetes is dipping a small "checkstick" into your urine, if you've got diabetes you'll know in about 30 seconds. If you've got it, the sooner you get onto a management programme the better. THere's several different types of diabetes, some are "worse" than others.
However, the obvious danger signs are: are you frequently thirsty? and are you urinating a lot more than usual? either way, don't ignore any health concerns ever, you pay your NICs every month for (what's left of) our health service , make the most of it.
Steve

·
Registered
125 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My neighbour and workmate has told Liz that my symptoms are classic of Diabetes.
Well you neighbour is wrong.  Sorry to sound a bit grumpy,but it makes me cross when "well meaning" people make statements like this.  The classic symptoms of diabetes are fatigue, passing water a lot, drinking a lot, and weight loss, as Steve W has already said.  Head pains are not a symptom.

I suspect that your neighbour may have been thinking that the sweating, shaking etc were symptoms associated with a "hypo" i.e. low blood sugar.  However if you have uncontrolled diabetes and are not taking any oral hypoglycaemics or insulin, then your blood sugar will be high, not low.

I'm not saying 100% that you don't have diabetes, because that's impossible without appropriate investigations, but based on your symptoms, I shouldn't worry too much.  Go along to your GP by all means, but just to put your mind at rest.

Apologies for ranting, but have had a bad week at work .........mutter, mutter, grump, grump etc...........

Fee the grouch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts