YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a copy of "Dictionary Of Disasters At Sea"?

If so could you look up a ship called "Czarina". I have it in an old book as being lost off Flamborough Head, but can't find it in any of my shipwreck guides.

If anyone has any info, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
The entry reads;

CZARINA
southern pacific Co.; 1883; J. Blumer & Co.; 1,046 tons; 220.3X31.6X13.3; 120n.h.p; compound engines.

The american steamship Czarina was driven on to the jetty at Coos Bay, Oregon on the night of Wednesday, January 12th 1910. There were no passengers on the vessel, which was manned by a crew of 31. The Czarina was refloated during the night but the force of the seas caused her to drag her anchors and she stranded quite close to shore. Hundreds of spectators lined the beach but were unable to render any assistance and so fierce was the gale that for two days it was impossible to launch a boat. during this time the crew were washed overboard or died from exposure lashed to the rigging. At last, when only nine men remained visible, a tremendous sea swept six of them from the masts, while the other three jumped overboard in the faint hope of reaching the shore. Only one man survived.

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
In August 1879 a Mr Albert Brassey owned a steamer of 587-tons called Czarina, but don't know what happened to it (yet) I believe Mr Brassey was a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron

Cheers Ron

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
I've got one in my records here at work which differs from dods.

Official number 45116 built 1863
Dimensions 165.2x27x16
Net tonnage 371
Gross tonnage 492
80hp
Registered 1863 in Hull
Registered owner RP Priest

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts