YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

.... only in  Horsea, mind you. We were the only people there - well, apart from a northern chap (Luton, I think he said).... and he was in a wetsuit, with the water temp at 6 degrees.

Tried the diverite classic wing with twin 12's and was really impressed. Question is (and I'm not trying to provoke a DIR debate  
), how do you have yours configured? I'd be interested in your views/pros & cons, etc

Cheers
G

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>DIN fitting 10's.  Unmanifolded (soon to have swivels) so that i can have the hoses running down then up, not out the side to catch on everything.  Two regs the same, both on octoclicks on the shoulder "D" rings.  Contents gauges clipped together infront of me.  Nice n simple, just like me!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Gary,

Well-in mate! It's quite a leap going from single and BCD to a wing and twins, eh? I remember my first time at Capernwray for a coupla dives - very swiftly (a matter of days) followed by a two day stint up at St Abbs! Reverse 'Para HALO' ascents from 12 metres notwithstanding!  

My advice for what it's worth: try both configs (DIR and non-DIR) and see which works for you. I'm not DIR but I dive a DIR rig (Halcyon Explorer 55lb-lift wing, manifolded twin Faber 12l's [DIN fittings], Poseidon Jetstream regs, bungied back-up, with 2 metre long-hose primary etc.); but then again, I've never dived any other twins rig, so can't comment on whether any other rig config might be better/worse for me - I only know I'm very happy and (more importantly comfortable) with the rig I dive!

Where I differ from the DIR ethos is that I use a Buddy crack-bottle 'fire-n-forget' DSMB, which is stowed in my right cargo-pocket for all of the dive before I deploy it. My reel (BIG f*ck-off Manta affair) is clipped to one fo the 'D'-rings next to my contents guage at my left.

Take it easy, dive safe and welcome to wings!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Tried the diverite classic wing with twin 12's and was really impressed.
Good for you!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Question is (and I'm not trying to provoke a DIR debate  
), how do you have yours configured? I'd be interested in your views/pros & cons, etc
Like this  -

Doubles..

That's the 'right' way to do it (so to speak) and is the best and the only way worth looking at(IMO).

Regards,

Mark  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Mark mate,

I don't know whether your avatar is a famous scene from a LOTR movie.......or a fuel-air bomb going off from a famous female orifice!!

Coat on legging it.......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark @ Dec. 30 2003,18:35)]Like this  -

Doubles..
Pretty much identical to the gear I used today.

All felt v comfortable - and I was pleasantly surprised not to be kicking up all the horsea silt..... got the weighting about right first time in!!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Dec. 30 2003,18:30)]
<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm not DIR but I dive a DIR rig
Ahem... I beg to differ

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Halcyon Explorer 55lb-lift wing, manifolded twin Faber 12l's,DIN fittings
Yes, very DIR (the wing's a bit big but ok)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Poseidon Jetstream regs
No no no! They are most definitly not DIR and have spoilt the whole thing

Happy new year

Mark.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>There was also a budding techette in the water today. Stoney however was heaving and there was snow on the ground (nice).

SS backplate, wing and long hose cyclon

if only i didn't look such a muppet putting it all together and get digger to do it for me

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Or you could turn your cylinders round the right way and be able to reach your valves a lot quicker than any DIR wallah...

hee hee hee

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sorry if I've let you down Mark, or in any way misrepresented the DIR credo - I shall now go and commit ritual Seppuku on my front lawn.......

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark @ Dec. 30 2003,19:05)]From the sublime to the ridiculous
Well I tried my new twin 7's today verted (Wrong way up Andy!!) OK so I can do shutdowns on all valves (They are taller than my 10's), but the shutdowns were definitely slower than on my inverted 10's.

Um...  I like inverts.  Everything is quick and easy,  I'll keep the 7's the traditional way at the moment and report back when everything has had a reasonable try out.

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I tried just about every combination I could think of before settling on a mostly-DIR reg setup.
Only I use hose protectors and have a normal-length SPG hose.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'm looking foward to the fun of all this next year with the 12's and possibly be getting a set of inverted 300bar 7's - just don't tell the missus!  

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Dom me ol'cock, hose protectors 'are' acceptable in DIR.. I thought we'd already discussed protectors in a previous thread.

Although apparantly you break rule six with that horrid coloured webbing

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I just throw a couple of threes in a plastic box  
 Def not DIR but it works for me  

·
Registered
147 Posts
Imported post

Went out with kirky at the weekend to try out my Christmas present, twin 12s, stainless steel backplate, Dive-rite wing.  

Took a bit of getting used to at first, keep hitting my head on the manifold, but great experience.  Could even operate the right hand valve and touch the centre one.  Not bad for a first try!

Looking forward to getting it wet again soon!

DAVE J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts