YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for the title, but that's pretty much what happened ! Whilst still messing around and trying out my fairly newly built twinset, I decided to do some shallowish dives midweek off a rib, which I had not done before, to continue getting used to it. I had used it in a resurgence-flopping cave environment and had no problems at all so it didn't cross my mind that when I surfaced in the sea and had to take my twinset off before getting onto the boat - It was very difficult. I put this down to having a continuous webbing harness, which, even though it had an adjustment whereby you can build in some slack when taking it off.... this was still very difficult. Culminated in about 3 people leaning over the edge and struggling frantically to get me out. NOT good. Would have undoubtably ended up in cutting the harness off me if it had been any rougher.
Is it just not the 'done' thing to use a twinset on a rib for that reason or should I just cut the harness by the clip and just use that? I don't dive in the sea much but part of the reason I built the set was so that I could do some more in the sea. But whilst a boat with a lift may solve the problem, this limits the diving I can do and it was also pointed out to me that if something went wrong, the people on the boat would need to get me out of the set asap, which they couldn't do.
So, before I take my shears to my harness, please may I have some advice?
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Well....twin 10s or more probably are overkill for rhib diving.

I've not tried to take my twins off in the water but on land it's fairly easy as I just undo the waist buckle and then drop down making a Y with my arms.

One thing you might try is, with back to the rhib, fully inflate wing. Have someone on the rhib stabilise your rig. Then undo the buckle and crotch strap and see if you can slide down the rig so that it's supported by the wing and the person on the boat and not your shoulders.

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Fully inflate it, lie on your back at the side of the rib and someone onboard can take it off for you.... thats how we go about it... wings take a little longer than BC's but its straight forward enough.

Cheers

Adam

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Arms above the head and slide out the bottom is the method I've heard for one piece harnesses. Just remember to take your weight belt of first!! Oh ......... and undo the crotch strap.

A fellow club member had some method whereby, after undoing the waist 'buckle' he was able to pull some extra webbing up to his chest and then slide one arm out (bring hand tight to chest and slide it out through the loosened bit of webbing).

Me, I still prefer the plastic pinch clips!!! :)

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Dont cut it, but add a point break.

Its a loop of webbing, so its still one piece, that has a clip fitted in.
Undo clip and the slack is taken out making the webbing longer.

You do it on just the one side, slide out then can get out of other.

Mind you I've been diving decades now with no crotch strap and
have ordinary clips, so dont see the point in a one piece TBH.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont cut it, but add a point break.

Its a loop of webbing, so its still one piece, that has a clip fitted in.
Undo clip and the slack is taken out making the webbing longer.

You do it on just the one side, slide out then can get out of other.

Mind you I've been diving decades now with no crotch strap and
have ordinary clips, so dont see the point in a one piece TBH.
Thanks, I didn't explain it very well, but this is the system I already have. I have made the slack longer but it is now in danger of getting in the way if I make it longer still. At present the slack lies neatly under the webbing. I'll perhaps have one more go in a quarry or something and see if any of the other techniques help.
I was advised to get a one-piece and like you, am beginning to wonder if it's worth it. All I need to do is cut the webbing and I have a ready made clip.

·
23,946 Posts
Thanks, I didn't explain it very well, but this is the system I already have. I have made the slack longer but it is now in danger of getting in the way if I make it longer still. At present the slack lies neatly under the webbing. I'll perhaps have one more go in a quarry or something and see if any of the other techniques help.
I was advised to get a one-piece and like you, am beginning to wonder if it's worth it. All I need to do is cut the webbing and I have a ready made clip.
You need to fit a thin piece of bike inner tube over your harness so that the loop in your webbing may be tucked under the inner tube to stop it flopping about.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I have a loop of bungee around one of the shoulder straps, enough to hook your thumb under and give yourself a bit of leverage. Makes getting out a bit easier. I also find having as little air as possible in it helps to.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
Registered
666 Posts
This was my biggest concern when I moved to a one piece harness. However I was shown how to hold the hose of the clipped off main reg in my right hand and the inflator hose in my left and pull them to the sides and backwards. Although I didn't believe it, it does make it quite easy to get out of the harness.

I actually find the biggest problem with a RIB is that the people helping you back in try lifting the rig, thinking it will help you get out, which it would do on dry land but when the wing is inflated makes it more awkward in my experience.

HTH

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
One of the biggest issues with removing a harness in water is the amount of wing inflation.

Typically on the surface the wing will be fully inflated which makes it difficult to squeeze out of the harness.

I let some air out of the wing and find it easier to get out of the harness. As long as you keep the reg in your gob and hold on to the harness you can deflate it most of the way, wriggle out and then re-inflate.

HTH
Daz

·
23,946 Posts
..................... and hold on to the harness you can deflate it most of the way, wriggle out and then re-inflate.

HTH
Daz
From the sea bed? :teeth:

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
At the risk of being a bit bloody obvious - get an adjustable harness!

I've never been convinced by the single piece harness argument. It's a DIR thing which means it's a cave diving thing. There is a very limited risk of buckles failing, but if you're 3 hours into a cave system with a twinset not properly secured to your back that is a problem - so in those circumstances it may be worthwhile eliminating even that slight risk. In open water diving a failed buckle does not present the same difficulties. At worst you will be making your way up a line and doing deco and in that case it's a manageable problem.

Single piece harnesses are hard work. Yes, you can learn how to manage them but nobody gets it straight off, so they can't be easy. There's a cost involved with using them and for open water diving I don't think the very limited benefits justify that cost. I'd much rather have my fast-buckles and adjustable straps that make my rig a doddle to get in and out of - on each and every dive.

DIR in general and single piece harnesses as a result are very stylish - but for UK open water diving I just don't think an argumant stands up. Get an adjustable harness and all your problems will be solved.

But of course, if you are using the single piece harness for cave diving too then you just might have to live with it - but that's the choices you make.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At the risk of being a bit bloody obvious, I am a cave diver. But it would be nice to have some kit that I could use for both and it seems from the other replies that there is a way of getting round it and it is not impossible to use a single piece harness in the sea - just takes a bit longer and some practise. As I said, I will be having a go, trying the techniques the others mention and if I am still not happy with it, may need to look at using a buckle - which as you rightly say is not ideal for cave diving.

G

·
I know this sounds strange, but try the 'over the head method', it's the ONLY way i can get mine off in the water :redface: .
Unclip the drysuit hose and crotch strap, keep your hoses free, deflate the suit and BCD (a little bit)
and generally loosen up BUT KEEP YOUR REG IN!, then:

Lie forward face down and reach behind to your valves (head down, feet up slightly)
Pull the set over the back of your head and in front of you while you move backwards (it's quite a fast motion) so you end up with the set in the water in front of you and you out of it. Works a treat. Looks fairly awesome too :teeth:

If that doesn't make sense, imagine/ remember if you have ever seen some clever clogs kitting put their tank on by puuting the arms through it and lifting it over their head and dropping it onto their back, it's like that but in reverse.

Hope you understood that!:)

·
23,946 Posts
I know this sounds strange, but try the 'over the head method', it's the ONLY way i can get mine off in the water :redface: .
Unclip the drysuit hose and crotch strap, keep your hoses free, deflate the suit and BCD (a little bit)
and generally loosen up BUT KEEP YOUR REG IN!, then:

Lie forward face down and reach behind to your valves (head down, feet up slightly)
Pull the set over the back of your head and in front of you while you move backwards (it's quite a fast motion) so you end up with the set in the water in front of you and you out of it. Works a treat. Looks fairly awesome too :teeth:

If that doesn't make sense, imagine/ remember if you have ever seen some clever clogs kitting put their tank on by puuting the arms through it and lifting it over their head and dropping it onto their back, it's like that but in reverse.

Hope you understood that!:)
I'm a clever clogs! ....... well, with single cylinders!
:angel:

G

·
So am I!
Although not so when I get stuck at the highest point,
and stumble around the beach with my set balanced on top of my head :redface:

Any more and I will be wearing my neck as an internal organ :$

·
23,946 Posts
So am I!
Although not so when I get stuck at the highest point,
and stumble around the beach with my set balanced on top of my head :redface:

Any more and I will be wearing my neck as an internal organ :$
Been there and done that! :) ............. getting stuck, that is!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Probably all been said, but

remove compass/computer and clip to harness with spare double ender(or hand up into boat)
take alternate out of neck bungie
unloop long hose and stick reg back in job
unclip drysuit
undo waist band and free crouch strap
remove weight belt
deflate wing slightly
run right hand down side to get under shoulder strap, then lift out and up, shoulder strap should pop off shoulder.
Twist to the left and our out.

twins on ribs are fine (as long as everyone else is using them, then they cant complain!)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I can't say I've ever found a problem getting out of a one piece, until I put a ring system on the drygloves. Now I need to either lever myself a bit or get someone to hold a shoulder strap. Well, not now because the drygloves just came off for the summer, but it's a case of getting it adjusted right. Too many people run with very tight harnesses for a variety of reasons, but it doesn't need to be really tight. The crotch strap should give you all the tightenss you need.

Either that or I have used a single break clip under one arm. Means getting out ina hurry is possible, and if someone needs to get me out of my gear then they can pop the clip and roll it under me. I wouldn't want one on both sides though, with a big rig then I can imagine one buckle if it went could add to the load on the other one and then it would be rather messy.

Digs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts