YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi,

This weekend Digger came up from Sunny Notts to travel with me to Skye for our clubs trip to Stein and Hedredean Diving Services. We arrived up at 3pm to be met by strong winds from the South West and No diving possible that day (Sat)  
 So striaght to the Pub  

On Sunday we travelled out on Gordon McKays Boat Elena C to Lampay Island Reef just out of Dunvagan Bay. A lovely scenic dive was had along the reef with Sandy shell fish Bottom and 12+m vis. In fact I likened the dive to the med and so did Digger after the dive such was the great vis. Lots of life though few fish as its early in the year. The second dive was the Pinacles in Loch Bay just off Stein. Three or four rock pinacles rising up from a 20 - 25m sandy bed up to 9 - 7m. Lots of Scallops here.

On Monday we ventured further Menish point to the SS Chadwick a steamer sank 108 years ago. The Chadwick ran on to rocks at the foot of the tiny headland of An Ceannaich on North Skye.  See Wreck Tour here for full details. The second dive was Menich Reef (pronounced Meanish) about 300 yards north east of the Menish Pier. This was the best dive of the weekend for Digger and I. A (in places) knife edge reef with lots of life and a small v in the reef which you could swim up to and over to get to the other side. Lots of fun had on here with Digger stuffing Star fish in and  amongst my kit  
whilst I swam on un aware.
The last dive was today (tue) on a small island off Loch Bay on a 16m cliff with sloping sandy bed at the foot littered with scallops and crabs. Again good vis and a wonderful dive to round off a great weekend.

A big thanks to Gordon for showing us (again) some wonderfull sights on Skye and I'm looking forward to some great dives again.

Dave C

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>And Finally Gordon who made the weekend great with his great dive locations and help and advice. Being an ex comercial diver he knows his stuff and is always spot on.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Did you not dive the Port Napier?

Peter

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Peter,

Stein is on the North west of the Island and it takes an hour and a half for Gordon to get round to Menish peir. I can't see him getting down to the sound between Skye end the mainland. Its an hours drive down to the bridge as it is. I can do the Napier later on in my dive career. Digger was looking out of the window hoping to see it as we passed by both times though.

Dave C

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I dived the port napier - it was pish.  The vis was about 3m!

Digger has been fed and is heading south, paying his way in mending regs and scallops.....mmmm scallops.

Yummy.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dave,

Next time you use someones elses kit ,,,,,,,,, makes sure it the right way up,,,, Ya cylinders are upside down  

lol  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Nice photos Dave. Have you worked out whether we can get the video on the site or elsewhere? It would be good to see it on a bigger screen!

Great diving on Skye, the Chadwick is well worth doing, and the scallops are so good...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts