YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I am still on the look out for a new digital camera which I can put in a housing and have been trawling ebay for the last few days.  

There is an Olympus C50 on there and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this camera.

I have also been looking at the Sony P10 and had quite a good offer from some place in the states.

I know I have asked this before and had some replies about the C5050 but was looking for something a bit cheaper.  Still have lots of time as I want it for AndyP trip in April.  But you know what its like when you want to spend some money.  Don't know why as I don't have much.  But as no-one will be buying my any birthday and christmas pressies I might as well buy my own.  

Fiona

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Fiona - as with PC`s I would advise on getting the best you can afford.-ecspecially when it can also be used as a land camera.

The C5050 seems to be the latest fashion but its a bit overcomplicated for the occasional user (I`ve got a C4040 and its always used in auto mode !!)

You need at least 3m pixels if you are intending to print A4 pics - for web/PC pics 2m will do. Also you will need to consider the cost of the housing, batteries, memory cards etc

Best of luck

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

With the new 5060wz coming out in November, you may find the 5050 drops to an acceptable price level.  Since the housing is fairly inexpensive, it may be a reasonable package.
Do a search on the internet to find the best prices and make sure you add in a 256MB memory card - fairly essential in my opinion.

Incidentally, I'm waiting for an answer from Olympus on the availability of the new housing PT-020 for the 5060.  This is on my Christmas list...

http://www.digideep.com/

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Sinbad, it was from ebay, he is in the States, which may be two good reasons not to buy, never really done the ebay before, but as I trail I bid for a drysac which arrived on Friday so that worked OK.  The guy seems genuine and says he can do me a P10 with 256mb card for just over £330.  I have to email him when I am ready.  I can give you the email address if you like but please don't hold me responsible if it goes wrong.  I am just waiting for him to post again then I can check all the bits are in the box, ac adapters etc.

Fiona

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Fiona

That's quite a good price on the Sony. does the £330 price include shipping to you?

We've just got a P12 (same as P10 but it a very dark blue colour, and comes with a 64mb card and a leather holder and a spare battery). That cost us £314 if my memory serves me right...

If you do go for the P10, take a look at Amazon for the housing for it as we got ours from there for less than £140 (around £136 I think...)

Hope you get yourself sorted soon

Scubachick

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Didn't think of Amazon for the housing, just been looking at Camerasunderwater.co.uk there's are £160 and guy in US will do it for about £118, yes I think postage was extra about £20 I think.  Going to hold on until the dive show as C.Underwater are there and they might have a deal on. although it would have to be a good one.  256mb card is about £140 and most packages only supply a 32mb one.

I put a bid in for a P12 - liked the colour, how sad is that.

FB

·
A true Galapagos Adventurer
608 Posts
Imported post

Re the note from Scubachick. P12 was £314 from Gr8saves.co.....u know the rest. Came with a 32mb mem stick not 64, not far off though.
The housing was £130, close once again.......

By the way SC1972, d'you know who it is yet?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Scubanut...

'Do you know who it is yet?' as said in the vein of Rolf Harris I suppose....

Glad to see you got your finger out and got yourself joined up....

Spank you later

Scubachick

·
A true Galapagos Adventurer
608 Posts
Imported post

mmmmmm, can't wait!!! lovvvl

Have had such a busy day, don't be late the dinner will be in the freezer.........probably, as I have yet to do owt!!

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Hi

I saw think link which gives cery detailed writeups on all digital cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/

I personally have the P5. A rather old beast, but very still good. Takes cracking pictures and I got a cheep housing from etronics in the states. I was lucky enough to have a friend who was going over to visit her sister and brought it back for me. The only drawback with my P5 is the slow press button - to - taking picture time. But I'm used to that now. The camera looks great and the casing is very robust and compact. Battery doesn't last long when the flash is used, but they may have sorted that out with the newer ones. My model doesn't have the opto out for an external flash but its worth looking at if your going to be taking pictures in the dark murcky waters around UK.

Good luck.

Dave C

1 - 12 of 12 Posts