YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Has anyone any experience of these underwater? Being ex forces and boy sprout my navigation was always pretty good. I've always had a bit of trouble underwater as I find compasses have a mind of their own. I know compasses are weighted for different areas of the world and that they are affected by metal and the earth in some areas. I just can't get any consistancy under water with them. It's doin my ead in! Help.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I played around with a truetrak compass (by Aladin I think).

IMHO it was overly complicated and working out which buttons to push on land was a nightmare so god knows how difficult it would be in the water!

The manual takes a bit of reading and if you go this route (no pun intended) I would suggest you get it laminated to give you half a chance of working it in water.  

I would strongly recommend staying with a nice simple manual compass,  I struggled to begin with and the more I used it the better I got.  Just be aware of the effects of metal and you should be alright.

BTW: Not all compasses are created equal :- My tip for a excellent standard compass is the Suunto SK7, easy to read and a very good tilt tolerence (and this can make a huge difference)

Daz

1 - 2 of 2 Posts