YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Dear all,

It's my birthday tomorrow and my girlfriend has arranged to wine and dine me at her place tomorrow evening. Slight problem, Wednesday evenings is "lates" night at Leybourne, enabling a daylight dive and a night dive. Although she has recently qualified as OW, she still can't grasp the fact that I would dive in a puddle at the drop of a hat. My head is telling me to do one thing and the spectre of the Casualty Dept at Basildon Hospital telling me another. Any ideas how I can maybe combine the two or even better, a really good excuse??
After all, it is my birthday, so I won't be letting her down as though it was hers..

Kind regards,

Ian

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Get two in during the day and call it quits - go and enjoy the evening she has planned for you and fill yer boots. After all, 'Lates-at-Leybourne' will be there next week; bagshanties of the birthday variety are an annual event.

So what's it to be? Bent-knees or Chinese?

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Muddy puddle diving or dinner with your loved one? and you have to ask
I'm sure this Leybourne place is is crap as any other puddle, bin the, ahem "dive" would be  my suggestion dude

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

l think its incredibly selfish of your girlfriend to do this on your birthday.

She knows its late night at Leybourne and has set a trap.
You are doomed whatever you do,  you might as well marry her.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>What about telling her that for your birthday treat you want a moonlight picknick with Champagne and roses and sh*t like that. Then tell her that it would be ever so special if she drives ( allowing you most of the fizzz) and meets you under the stars at a romantic waterside venue called Leybourne.

What do you think!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Mmmmmm. Some very good suggestions there. I truly am in a quandry. Whilst some good advice is offered, I'm not convinced I could pull it off. (Caution: about to enter double entandre city..) I think that during dinner I should casually mention that whilst the meal was lovely and that I'm really looking forward to "dessert", I have actually missed a couple of dives and therefore am 2 dives in credit, so the next time i disappear to Swanage next Saturday! she shouldn't even think about complaining. Or i could just ring and say the trains are late as usual and stuck in London!?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Dear Xmatelot....

your are truly suicidal...apparently your priorities are with diving, and not with a birthday dinner, so why are you even asking? Go with your priorities and take the consequences :)

Bren: truly good advice you gave there, btw.

moray (too lazy to log in under own name)

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Xmatlot

I spent all day at Leybourne on Sunday (actually managed to get 7 OW lessons done in 1 day - a new PB). I can assure you that unless it has settled down well there is no diference between the day and night dive as it is very murky and stirred up. Damn PADI Schools and their poor buoyency control

It may well have settled down now though, they appear to have stocked the lake with some fish now as well.

Dive Safe

Paul

PS How about the dive's then go for Dinner at Branigans or Lashings afterwards? Beter still watch the Liverpool Game on the box

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Xmatlot or may i call you Jack,

Are you sure they are open? When i was trying to arrange early entry for the 26th the guy on the desk mentioned they are not there during the week!!!! at this time of year.

May be worth ringing them 01634 246006, i have Peters card but cannot read his mobile number as it got wet. e-mail looks like [email protected]

Dive Safe

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm let me see. A nice dinner or a dive at Laybourn

TAKE THE DINNER YOU FOOL

Ok this one is a bit more tricky.

A dive at Laybourn or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?
>
>
>
>
>
Hang on I am thinking about it.

>
>
>
>
>
Just how sharp is the stick?

Mark Chase

PS: Paul if your training down at Laybourn over any Wend let me know and I will drop in to say hello. I am only 10mins away.
I wont dive, I will just say hello.  

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Mark

Sun 26th Oct (The day the clocks go back), we will be there doing Rescue Management Scenarios with my trainee Dive Leaders from 9.30 BST.

Should be there for a few hours, and i may do some other lessons after subject to what football is on and if my kids come up as well.

I'll probably be at the Hop Farm this Sun for the Boat Fair if you are down that way.

Look forward to meeting,

Dive Safe

Paul

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I cant get there till about 11.30 but if your still there I will say Hi.

Will you be doing the intrepid BMW & Titanic and Oil drum spot
or hanging about near the luxury dive centre  

Mark Chase

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>chips at the puddles edge over a torch light after shes been surface cover.

Tell her your testing her to see if she is hi maintinence.

If all else fail tell her your last bird didnt mind doing that.

Since its your birthday let her drive and pack up your kit while u get pissed, she can then drive you home (stopping for kebab and more beer) before going home to watch some footy high lights and an early night.

Job done

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Only a muppet would ask such a daft question. Anything and I mean anything is better than leybourne

Could I just confess to diving leybourne Sat before last. Had a good reason thought, a friend wanted to try out her new drysuit and need a buddy as her hubby wasn't daft enough to go. Managed to do a whole 20mins before it got to me and I spent 10mins of those doing spins around the bars on the platforms. Boy was I bored...winter's coming and I know I will end up doing dodgy late nights dives there again...what a sad thought

What about you Mr Chase, bet I will spot you there on one of those late cold winter nights  

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dan @ Oct. 15 2003,19:05)]What about you Mr Chase, bet I will spot you there on one of those late cold winter nights  
Probably

But if I get seen I will claim that I am recompressing after a dodgy deep dive beacuse I am too arrrrrd to go to one of those poofy deco chambers.  

Thats if I can stop my teeth chattering long enough to get the words out.

I actualy broke through the ice there once to do a dive
But I am a lot better now the medication is working.  

ATB

Mark Chase

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Mark

1130 is prob' a good time as we should be coming to a close on our lessons. However in the fine traditions of Canterbury Divers for being slow, late, un-organised and having a series of equipment failures as soon as we get near some water, we will probably be just starting.

Normally we would deep dive onto the Thislgorm and the old film set for the Italian Job whilst there, however we may be at the Quay Side Cafe' this time. I'll let you know once i have spoken to Peter.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Oct. 15 2003,20:48)]Normally we would deep dive onto the Thislgorm and the old film set for the Italian Job
Sounds soooooooo exciting, maybe l'll go one day.

Oooooooops........ forgot l dived there about 5 years ago, how could l forget such an exhilarating experience.
Even, dare l say it, Wraysbury is better.(only just)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Bit the bullet and stayed home for a lovely dinner last night. After diving at Leybourne on Sunday, just the one dive, dived without a hood! and couldn't manage another. Lesson learnt.. So after weighing up the options, an easy decision was reached. Thanks for all advice though!

ATB

Ian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts