YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

CAn anyone describe to me the benifits of din compared to an "a clamp" cos I don't trust me bro (Andy2tanx)

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

smaller, lighter, less entrapment, captured O ring (less chance of a blow) and 300bar. Anything I've missed?
Listen to your bro!, I think where safety is concerned most family members can be relied upon unless they are complete planks, which I dont think he is. :)
Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

DIN is an intrinsically safer system, for the reasons stated in the link given above. It is standard here in Scandinavia as well as in Germany and, I believe, most European countries. I always take a yoke adapter with me on trips abroad but find I rarely need to use it nowadays as more and more dive centres in different countries use cylinders with plugged valves, so that you can fit either DIN or A-clamp regs. I doubt if the americans or dive centres in the Caribbean and other areas with mainly american visitors will ever change, though, so get an adapter if you do change to DIN. In case you wondered, DIN stands for German Industrial Standards (in German, of course!). :sofa:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

As an alternative way of looking at it:
Can you describe to me ANY benefits of A-clamp compared to DIN?

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

If you need any further convincing,here's a short demo.to show how easily an A-clamp can become dislodged.Take a short length of common 3x2,set up your cylinder(you can do this in the water if you like)then give it a good crack on the A-clamp.You'll find that it dislodges without much effort.Compsare this with cracking the clamp assembly against some rocks,wreckage etc.and you begin tosee the point.I can't say I've personaly known anyone dislodge one when diving,but why live with the potential when there'sa superior system readily available?Hobby.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Take a short length of common 3x2,set up your cylinder(you can do this in the water if you like)then give it a good crack on the A-clamp

LOL!!! Yup, its true, you really ARE as mad as a hatter... ;)

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Nah,it's just a vicious rumour,put about by those people on the train when I let those Camels go in 1st Class.Got the demo thing off the Old Man,he use to show club members to convince them of the superiority of DIN fittings(ties in with the things he was writing at the time).Take care,Hobby.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

As long as it's someone else's A-clamp and cylinder!
Surely A-clamps must be cheaper to manufacture, otherwise there's not much reason for their continued existence, is there?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

As long as it's someone else's A-clamp and cylinder!
Surely A-clamps must be cheaper to manufacture, otherwise there's not much reason for their continued existence, is there?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I doubt if their continued existence has anything to do with the cost of manufacture. Once the yanks decide on a system, they seem to stick with it for ever. They have a different video system and a different mobile phone system to most other countries, for example.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

All excellent points on our "cousins across the pond" stubbornly clinging to their own methods, but doesn't it seem odd that Europe hasn't adopt the DIN standard throughout as it is inherently safer?

After all there are regulations on the curvy-ness of cucumbers and bananas and I think we will all agree on which is more important 'vis a vis' a bent banana or a bent diver :shocked: ;)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Most of Europe HAS decided on DIN. I'm not sure about southern Europe, but I think the UK is the only country in nortern Europe where A-clamp is widely used these days.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

You're right but you have to consider thst in the EC, certainly in the UK, rec.diving equipment standards are governed basically by what rec.manufacturers want you to have(market forces etc.)which is drummed into you from the moment your instructor says "Hi my names Lucifer".Fair enough there's things like EC standards etc.which the gear has to meet but the standards don't dictate what the gear has to be in the 1st place.The DIN fitting is a standard industry fitment,it may also be the rec.standard in some countries as we've seen.
This is why, as a huge industry has geared/sprung up to meet the demands of a "sport"(poor choice of words)which is the 2nd fastest growing,2nd only to skiing,there has developed a plethora of quite simply crap equipment(all nicely presented ,user friendly and expensive in many cases).You can have a colour co-ordinated BCD to match your low-profile co-ordinated mask.By "industry standards"(the rec industry that is"it might be great,but the clips etc are all nice plastic ones that are as much use as tits on a duck in reality.It's always been possible to get good gear albeit at times difficult.People like DIR have recognised the gash that's about and teach people how to avoid it and even produce their own.European powers that be will be loathe probably to enforce such restrictions on the industry in general even if it's for the greater good,if they do they might outlaw the production of cigarettes too while they're at it.Hobby.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Also don't forget that the a-clamp system was originally only designed to handle 200bar - the yoke was simply toughened up for the extra 32 NOT redesigned

So says Drifty, with one a-clamp and one DIN

(Edited by Driftwood at 8:34 pm on Nov. 4, 2002)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts