YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I was looking through the topic on argon cylinders and then looked at the divetekadventure website which was recommended as a DIR site.

Can anyone explain to me the relevance of Kona coffee on this site, if you are DIR does this affect everything you do.  I drink cafedirect coffee is this wrong

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

(For those too lazy to look it up: www.divetekadventures.com)

Of course cafedirect is wrong - it doesn't make REAL coffee, it makes a Stroke mix, with only 80% of the caffeine proper DIR coffee advocates.

If you use weak-ass mixes like this, how will you ever be alert enough to put your gear together properly first thing in the morning?

I expect you bungee your coffee mug too.

Grr. Argh.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

To go into more depth:
For serious, heavy-duty dive trips, you want to start on Mix - add milk and demerera (the standard amounts can be found on the website) for the extra sugar, fat, and other energy-giving nutrients this gives, that'll kick-start your day.
Then, as you build up, you want to have coffee with milk only - you don't need the quick boost of sugar, you want the slow burn of the fat in the milk. The extra fluid in the milk also helps with hydration: caffeine is necessary, but you have to remember it has bad effects too.
Finally, right before the serious work, you want pure, unadulterated coffee, none of this stroke diluted crap - strong, black, and unsweetened. This gives the required jolt of caffeine for real concentration, adding milk will just mean drinking MORE coffee to get the needed caffeine, but the time it takes to drink the extra will allow the original caffeine to metabolise away - a vicious circle. Plus, adding cold milk to your hot coffee negates the warming benefits of the drink, yet another reason why DIR coffee drinking is a holistic approach.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Advocates of the minimalistic approach would of course take a caffeine tablet with half a glass of water instead.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

And the rest of us grind a couple of Proplus tabs into a double espresso.  
Shades are for the hangover.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Coffee - DIR ? Surely not, its the Devils brew surely, isnt it a dirulectic (sp?) thus adding to the dehydration problem of getting slaughtered the night before. I should have though ONLY freshly squuezed Florida Oranges would have been good enough. They would all obviously have to be the same size/shape/weight/colour and each member of the team would have to have exactly the same amount to avoid early exit from a bladder problem.
Talking of which, on a more serious note, is there a DIR approved P valve and are females allowed in to DIR, any body know of a female member of GI3's team?
Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

is there a DIR approved P valve

Yes. The Halcyon one. Amazingly.

and are females allowed in to DIR, any body know of a female member of GI3's team?

Yes, his girlfriend, Pina(?) is apparently a DIR diver.. she got a slating on TD when she went solo diving a while back

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

She doesnt count, she stroked out for doing a solo and she's his bird, too close to him for him to be objective, any other women been allowed into this elite outfit yet.
Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I'm sure there were some in JJ's DIR book... and the Halcyon catalogue

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ June 10 2003,09:58)]ONLY freshly squuezed Florida Oranges would have been good enough.
<font color='#000F22'>A serious point - after a suspected DCI incident Orange Juice is not advised but apple juice is fine and is better than just normal water.

·
hmmm.. open circuit revisited...
760 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#008080'>The DIR mix of choice is apple juice with a dash of water.. or was it water with a dash of apple juice? Coffee must definately be full strength with milk and sugar ;-) supplied in a metal flask, carried sideslung on the left with 'camelback' type straw for easy access underwater

Anyway, the DIR p-valve is any, as long as it is balanced and they work for females too .

And yes there are female divers in GI3s team, though mainly on the support / safety side. Dawn Karnegis is the surface manager. Cathy Neel, Nancy LeVake are safety and/or support divers. Pina Porceddu has been part of survey teams.

Aquaholic

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ June 10 2003,11:31)]A serious point - after a suspected DCI incident Orange Juice is not advised but apple juice is fine and is better than just normal water.
Why is orange juice not advised, and why is apple juice better than water?
?

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ June 10 2003,10:09)]is there a DIR approved P valve

Yes. The Halcyon one. Amazingly.

and are females allowed in to DIR, any body know of a female member of GI3's team?

Yes, his girlfriend, Pina(?) is apparently a DIR diver.. she got a slating on TD when she went solo diving a while back
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi [sigh]

On the deco stop site there is a wkpp gas diver called heather going by the login 'chickdiver'.

I'm sure there are others listed on the wkpp report list every now and again but I can't remember.

A pee valve is recommended either balanced or unbalanced. I only know of the Halcyon balanced one but O Three do an unbalanced one.

HTH

WL

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Hi, after a trip to Florida in the late 70s, I still remember the aweful consequences of too much freshly squeezed orange juice.

Dehydrating in a most explosive manner-----you really don't want any more detail!!!

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Must...resist....temptation....
OK I'm going to avoid that acromyn 'cos I'm fed up with the inevitable hoo-har that follows any mention of it, however...nevermind women in GI3's group, are there any 'ethnic' divers?

Adopting my "work" head, I'm more interested in the  Apple juice issue.
I've heard from a variety of Technical divers that they choose it because it supposedly isn't a diuretic (ie makes you pee) unlike other fruit juices, which makes sense...or at least if would if I could find any hard data to back this up!

After a thorough search of a range of scientific databases and other on-line science resources I can't find any evidence of:
1) apple juice being non-diuretic or
2) that apple juice is a potent rehydration solution.  In fact most of the complentary medicine and similar herbal realted websites are extolling apples as excellent pro-diuretics.

I've contacted the DDRC to see if they have any unpublished data in respect of this topic and I'll post here if/when I've received a reply.  However, I'm getting the distinct impression that the apple juice issue is, like many nutritional issues (and a fair bit of diving debate)  based on repetition of unsupported anecdotal evidence and supposition.

I must confess that I was put off drinking apple juice (and to a lesser extent cider) whilst studying a plant biology module; the lecturer (a plant pathologist) went into great detail about a fungal toxin found in apple juice called  patulin, this is a result of the Penicillium and Aspergillus fungal species associated with apples.

Some researchers are keen to stress the carcinogenic effects of this substance but these are not sufficiently evidenced to warrant avoiding apple juice altogether.

However, stronger evidence exists for patulin's immune compromising effects. This tends to manifest in lung and other respiratory inflammation which could exacerbate inflammation in divers due to the well documented respiratory effects of hyperbaric oxygen.

Chee-az
Steve

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Add to which Steve most Apple juice is coloured with E150 (here I go again) and is a no-no for me.
Ethnic divers - dodgy area as there arent too many in diving in general as far as I know. Cost implications perhaps?

Matt

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I was working on the Orange Juice is more diuretic than apple juice assumption.

According to Dr Stevie I might have been mis-advised by one of my good friends.

Water on it's own doesn't have any carb or any electrolytes so takes longer to absorb through the gut.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I know exactly what you're referring to Gav, i would have liked to discuss finer points of the topic at that time but with the tight schedule I though it's be better for a spot of private research. Todays posts just gave me a prod to look for hard data to support/refute it.

On the whole it seems like a reasonable drink for the circumstances (mycotoxins aside) and may very well have advantages over other fruit juices but the lack of acknowledgment of it's diuretic properties is a point which needs to be mentioned.

You're absolutely correct on the carbohydrate point, there is plenty of strong evidence that it is important re water uptake; quote from Fluid Replacement and Heat Stress  
"The inclusion of electrolytes in fluid replacement beverages is important to offset the losses....more importantly...because they play a role in glucose, water and salt absorbtion which is essential for the maintenance of  plasma volume and osmoregulation. The effects of excercise, hydration state and ambient conditions on intestinal absorbtion have not been studies sytematically and require further investigation"

The authors go on to recommend a minimum glucose concentration of around 1% for rehydration beverages (and a maximum of around 2.5%) but also suggest that fructose (ie fruit sugar) is better than glucose due to it's effects on potassium levels, and that rehydration drinks should contain sodium and chloride

Incidentally, we all possess variable levels of vasopressin, a.k.a. the anti-diuretic hormone, this is apparently best absorbed as a nasal spray, who knows, such supplements could play an important role in DCI avoidance if they were available.
Calling John Gulliver ... any pharmaceutical downsides to ADH sprays

Chee-az
Steve

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Malcolm - was that you in the pic posted a while ago on scubadiving .com - they said it was a ht curry !! (the pic was of a diver who had an `explosive` event at 15m - ugh

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

As far as "ethnic" is concerned, when I did some medical training they told us certain groups feel the cold more and suffer more cold injuries (hypothermia etc) - the usual suspects, e.g. the very old, the very young and interestingly various ethnic groups, especially those originating in very hot countries like Africa etc.  Diving being a wet and cold sport, that might explain things.  Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts