YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may remember a while back I was posting asking questions on shutdowns, since then I have got a new suit (one that fits) and am still finding shutdowns to be impossible without undoing the crotch/waist strap and launching the tanks up my back.

I am diving an apeks harness, very similar in design to the OMS IQ harness, with an OMS bungee wing. I have read somewhere (maybe on YD, can't remember) that some have a bit of trouble with the IQ style harness for doing shutdowns. As I don't really see the point in the padding on my harness anyway(just adds to the clutter and drying time) I'm thinking about buying some webbing and setting up my backplate like the DIR crowd.

I have found a few websites that give good pics and info on how to rig the harness, but don't know what thickness webbing to get or where to get it from?

Does this style harness actually make the shutdowns easier. As at the moment when I tilt my head back I don't get anywhere near hitting my head on the manifold valve, it just seems so far away.....Or am I looking for excuses for not being able to shutdown and am barking up the wrong tree.

PS Sorry if this seems a bit like a novel to read, I thought I should give as much info as possible. It may help those of you in the know regarding shutdowns to see where I am coming from and where the difficulty is!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
There are plenty of threads on here about rigging it but a quick way would be to look at Andy Kerslake site The Basics for information on how to rig it and what kit you need.

Alternatively, just buy a rigging kit direct from Phill at Divingniknaks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link, I will have a look at the divingniknaks site as well.

Regarding the other point, should the shutdown drill be a bit easier with this style of harness if setup properly?

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Thanks for that link, I will have a look at the divingniknaks site as well.

Regarding the other point, should the shutdown drill be a bit easier with this style of harness if setup properly?
Yes, definitely. If your head is not touching the isolator when you put your head back then there is something wrong with the setup.

There is another link for adjusting a DIR harness here .

HTH

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Does this style harness actually make the shutdowns easier. As at the moment when I tilt my head back I don't get anywhere near hitting my head on the manifold valve, it just seems so far away.....Or am I looking for excuses for not being able to shutdown and am barking up the wrong tree.
I don't think it makes them easier per se....but correctly adjusted, it might make it possible. It's difficult to give categoric advice over the internet without having seen you in the water....but it does sound like your tanks are hanging lower than you'd want.

If the bands are fitted in the correct place, and your harness is adjusted correctly and you have flat trim with your head tipped back so you can see forwards, the back of your head should be nestling against the manifold isolator and/or first stages.

If you were in that position it sounds like you have the required reach to manipulate them.

HTH
Mal

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I think that must be the problem. I'll make myself a proper harness then, as there is no way I can get my tanks in the right position as described at the moment.

Thanks again for all your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts