YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Swims with More Seals
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to post something moving over the next couple of days. Next week is a year since dad was first taken ill and the week after I'll be celebrating a birthday with him - something I never thought I would again.

However, I'm in a much more negative mood right now.

We've just been to Opera in the Park. A free event in Leeds organised by the Local Council. We were given directions to a specific disabled car park and that was pretty much it.

Upon arrival, the car park was in a little used area and the access road was full of pot holes - no good for the multitude of disabled vehicles Including mine) which have a lowers undercarriage to facilitate a wheelchair getting in.

The car park was also a grassy area - there is a tarmac carpark which wasn't in use and the area of grass with the best access road was used as a "general" car park.

So not 100% impressed upon arrival but hey ho. We parked dad (he's just gotten a new electric wheelchair and boy am I glad - pushing him over the slightly damp grass would have KILLED me!!!!) settled down to watch the show.

Given that dad was getting cold we decided to leave at about 9.55pm. The show was still in full swing and hardly anyone was leaving. We thought we'd leave to beat the rush of people tramping over the grass and also the traffic. Dad's carers are due at the house at about 10.30pm.

We got back to the car - back over the damp grass, into the car, all settled, back down the lumpy track to the gate. We were sat at the gate at 10.10pm. The gate was locked and the secruity said we couldn't leave. Apprently this was to protect pedestrians who walk down the road.

But the show hadn't ended yet and there were very few pedestrians using the road.

So we waske dto speak to someone in charge and the police attended. So we asked again - why was the door locked given that it was still VERY quiet (by this time there is a queue of about 20 cars - all with disabled passengers waiting to leave). Sorry, its incase an ambulance needs to get in.

Eh? But the road they want to send us down is a two way road, wide enough for two vehicles to pass, and STILL not busy with pedestrians.

They refuse to let us out. The concert finishes at 10.35pm - 25 minutes AFTER we started queuing - so by this time there are 1,000's pf people using the road to walk home so now they REALLY won't let us out.

A further 30 minutes later at 11.05pm the gates are opened and we are allowed out - bearing in mind that the road is still being used by pedestrians (infact there were more pedestrians than at 10.10pm when we originally wanted to leave)

Then we get stuck in all the other traffic leaving, which due to the layout of the area has not been held up and cars have been leaving those car parks all the time through and are now nearly empty. So the road traffic out is horrendous.

All in all it has taken us 2 hours to do a 10 minute journey.

We had the sense to leave early to try and avoid the major traffic
Only people leaving by the disable car park were locked in - all other routes flowed
Dads carers had to be rung and sent away. He won't get to bed whilst 12.30 - as we've lost our "slot" on the timetable and need to be fitted in.
We can't postpone his morning call by the carers so he's going to get less rest. (imagine a small child with less sleep than normal - well dad has a similar reaction)
My dog has been left in for 2 hours longer than planned and wet himself on the floor.
I'm knackered

And also generally pissed off with the fact that this motely crew of idiots couldn't organise a pos up in a brewery.

I'm over tired - pissed off and going to sleep

K XX

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts
I was going to post something moving over the next couple of days. Next week is a year since dad was first taken ill and the week after I'll be celebrating a birthday with him - something I never thought I would again.

However, I'm in a much more negative mood right now.

We've just been to Opera in the Park. A free event in Leeds organised by the Local Council. We were given directions to a specific disabled car park and that was pretty much it.

Upon arrival, the car park was in a little used area and the access road was full of pot holes - no good for the multitude of disabled vehicles Including mine) which have a lowers undercarriage to facilitate a wheelchair getting in.

The car park was also a grassy area - there is a tarmac carpark which wasn't in use and the area of grass with the best access road was used as a "general" car park.

So not 100% impressed upon arrival but hey ho. We parked dad (he's just gotten a new electric wheelchair and boy am I glad - pushing him over the slightly damp grass would have KILLED me!!!!) settled down to watch the show.

Given that dad was getting cold we decided to leave at about 9.55pm. The show was still in full swing and hardly anyone was leaving. We thought we'd leave to beat the rush of people tramping over the grass and also the traffic. Dad's carers are due at the house at about 10.30pm.

We got back to the car - back over the damp grass, into the car, all settled, back down the lumpy track to the gate. We were sat at the gate at 10.10pm. The gate was locked and the secruity said we couldn't leave. Apprently this was to protect pedestrians who walk down the road.

But the show hadn't ended yet and there were very few pedestrians using the road.

So we waske dto speak to someone in charge and the police attended. So we asked again - why was the door locked given that it was still VERY quiet (by this time there is a queue of about 20 cars - all with disabled passengers waiting to leave). Sorry, its incase an ambulance needs to get in.

Eh? But the road they want to send us down is a two way road, wide enough for two vehicles to pass, and STILL not busy with pedestrians.

They refuse to let us out. The concert finishes at 10.35pm - 25 minutes AFTER we started queuing - so by this time there are 1,000's pf people using the road to walk home so now they REALLY won't let us out.

A further 30 minutes later at 11.05pm the gates are opened and we are allowed out - bearing in mind that the road is still being used by pedestrians (infact there were more pedestrians than at 10.10pm when we originally wanted to leave)

Then we get stuck in all the other traffic leaving, which due to the layout of the area has not been held up and cars have been leaving those car parks all the time through and are now nearly empty. So the road traffic out is horrendous.

All in all it has taken us 2 hours to do a 10 minute journey.

We had the sense to leave early to try and avoid the major traffic
Only people leaving by the disable car park were locked in - all other routes flowed
Dads carers had to be rung and sent away. He won't get to bed whilst 12.30 - as we've lost our "slot" on the timetable and need to be fitted in.
We can't postpone his morning call by the carers so he's going to get less rest. (imagine a small child with less sleep than normal - well dad has a similar reaction)
My dog has been left in for 2 hours longer than planned and wet himself on the floor.
I'm knackered

And also generally pissed off with the fact that this motely crew of idiots couldn't organise a pos up in a brewery.

I'm over tired - pissed off and going to sleep

K XX
Sounds like common sense is lacking. :frown:

You could try complaining to the organisers, and others.

Sadly this sort of attitude is all too common. Health and safety rules over common sense, and people become to scared to do the right thing (let you out of the carpark) because they have been given instructions to the contrary. The instructions should never have been given in the first instance, as the layout should have been such that people should be free to come and go. Arguably they have comprised your dad's health and safety by not allowing you's out when needed, and this might be line to take in protest.

Best wishes, Al

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Hope your going to following this up Kath - sounds like rules and regs being quite over the top and instead of producing a safe solution causing quite the reverse.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Kath,

I would have called an ambulance to that gate, faining your dad feeling unwell. They would have had a rocket up their arse once the ambulance tunred up and would have had to unlock the gate..

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
It sounds like false imprisonment to me. Fair enough telling someone they can't enter a premises.....but can't leave?
I'd agree. Clearly no safety issue with letting a few cars out so no excuse. I'm surprised the police were involved and wouldn't let you go - probably a decision made by some tosser of a senior officer.

If it was a policing decision make a complaint to the force, asking specifically who the officer in charge of the event was and do speak of 'unlawful imprisonment'. It will scare the shit out of whoever was involved - and that never does them any harm. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
If the event was organised by your local Council, I would strongly recommend that you make a complaint to their Equality Team about what happen. This treatment is totally unacceptable, from where the parking was situated (which was obviusly not suitable for disabled parking) to the fact that you weren't allowed to leave (which I believe is a violation of human rights). If you don't have any joy with your complaint, I would contact the Disability Rights Commission (08457 622633).

I work in a disablity related job and and it is really important to make complaints when things go wrong or else organisations never learn how to do thing correctly.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
If the event was organised by your local Council, I would strongly recommend that you make a complaint to their Equality Team about what happen. This treatment is totally unacceptable, from where the parking was situated (which was obviusly not suitable for disabled parking) to the fact that you weren't allowed to leave (which I believe is a violation of human rights). If you don't have any joy with your complaint, I would contact the Disability Rights Commission (08457 622633).

I work in a disablity related job and and it is really important to make complaints when things go wrong or else organisations never learn how to do thing correctly.

and to Ms Jenkins herself. she always harps on about helping communities and doing the right thing.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
So we waske dto speak to someone in charge and the police attended.
did the police not help then ?

sounds like your were being held against your will " prisoners "

That cant be right :) what did they say or more to point what are they saying now about your saftey being put at risk.

David

·
Swims with More Seals
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did the police not help then ?

sounds like your were being held against your will " prisoners "

That cant be right :) what did they say or more to point what are they saying now about your saftey being put at risk.

David

The police attended because the people who refused to unlock the gate were the contracted seciruty firm. They sent for the police becuase theyt weren't authorise to over rule their chain of command!!

The police blamed the local council and said it wasn't their role.

Call to local press will be happening and also mum has been into her MP.

Thanks for the feed back. I'm at conference until Wednesday but I feel my monile may get caned whilst I'm away!!!

K XX

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
The police attended because the people who refused to unlock the gate were the contracted seciruty firm. They sent for the police becuase theyt weren't authorise to over rule their chain of command!!

The police blamed the local council and said it wasn't their role.
That's piss-poor. I would have ordered them to let you out or face being locked up. Pity nobody in the security firm had enough sense to make a reasonable decision. You pay minimum wage, this is what you get. I can see a load of passing the blame going on, but good luck with the complaint.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Kath sounds to me like you may have a case against them under the Disability Discrimination Act, sounds to me like you were treated both badly and differently because of your dad's disability. I hope you can make a lot of noise about this and I would go after them for compensation, not for the money but because it's the cost that will make them sit up and listen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.