YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>So then. What's the most disappointing dive you've done? Something everyone else built up for ages, and you went there and thought "well, that was crap."

In case anyone's wondering, mine was today. In the River Trent. I was expecting a fast and fun ride on the river, instead it was like being slowly dragged through the mud. Max depth 3.6m, most interesting thing we found was a pint glass and an old railway wagon-type thingy. Oh, and a rusty bike. No bodies on this dive, maybe next time.

The viz was also so bad we had to be tied togther, as when my buddy moved far enough away that we could fin side by side I couldn't see him anymore.

And the River Trent stinks, if anyone was thinking about going for a swim in there any time soon.

Everyone else reckoned it would be so fun... A mate of mine claims to have found all sorts under the footbridge. All we found was a battered old bike.

That said, now we've done it, we know not to bother again.

So come on, what's the one dive everyone else loved but you just didn't see it?

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Lanzarote,
the harbour, the guide built it up to sound as if it was going to be a wild life safari like one we'd never surpass. He boasted how he'd been diving there dor ages new it likethe back of his hand and would point out loads of stuff. I was a bit suss when I noticed he buddied someone less experienced than me and had no occy (or pony), in fact no AAS at all apart from a snorkel. In we go, drop and follow all bashing into each other for best view, real fun. Then mid-dive one of the girls tanks come loose, could we attract his attention, you guess. So me and another lady get the girl down on the sea bed (15m) and get the tank strapped back on secure. Our merry band now well spread out, thankfully good viz else we would have been in all sorts of trouble. Spotted bugger all and finally have  to get out round the wrong side of the Wall cos a few were low on air, which he hadnt monitored too well. First time I ever had to get out of really rough and battering swell (dive 12 this was, including OW pool work).
The drive back was almost silent, which indicated what others thought as well and when I got the owner alone I told him what I thought. Apparently it was the guides last week with that operation, I wonder why.

Matt

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

Pembrokeshire

Supposed to be doing The Smalls, been booked for months, read all about the abundant marine life and was really looking foward to diving with seals. Got up in the morning to a beautiful day, got down to the boat and the sea was flat calm. Then we started to motor round the headland, at which point the skipper decided there was a bit of a swell, so he canned it.
Barsteward!
Ended up doing a dive off Skomer - first and only ever UK dive on which I didn't even see a fish  - totally baron. So upset we didn't bother staying for Sunday.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

My 1st dive (out of eight) at Protea Banks off the KwaZulu-Natal coast in South Africa.

We came back up the beach off the RIB and commented "well, what ever happens at Protea Banks has already happened!"

This disappointment was very quickly dispelled by the 2nd dive, on which we saw well over 100 sharks (Hammerheads, 'Raggies', Bulls (Zambezis) Oceanic White Tip, Bronze Whalers etc.), Ribbon-tailed Rays - the works.

Would I go back - only in a heartbeat!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Final dive of my Advanced Open water:

Navigation and underwater Naturalist? In Stony Cove?
?

It was November 4 deg C freezing and they didnt give me gloves with my hired club kit. I discovered the joy of peeing in a semi dry and the entertainment value of trying to de kit with two numb hands.

I identified a roach a perch a cray fish and the lesser dead cray fish

I got lost and droped 8m on the navigation and came up over the cliff edge to find my instructor sitting there??

I passed but felt that I had acheived nothing except possable hypothermia.

I was actualy dispondent after that dive which has never hapend before or since, no mater how bad thing's got.

Mark Chase

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Maldives - Kuredu express - billed as the `fantastic drift` with loads of life, sharks etc etc.

Actual - no drift, no sharks or major wildlife and a relatively dead reef.

Disappointing for the Maldives

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Would that be the foot bridge in Burton-upon-Trent?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Unfortunately no such distance covered. We went from Wilford, just outside Nottingham, and travelled as far as the Wilford footbridge (if anyone knows the area) from a churchyard just up the road. Long route on the river, about 5 minutes on foot. Surface cover was really a formality, but her indoors had a nice morning down by the river saying things like "are you serious" and "you're not kissing me after you've been in there."

If anyone's interested by the way, I can give you really good entry and exit points, it's just the dive in the middle that's crap.

And watch out for the thieving gets on the bridge as you come back to the road. Saw them eyeing up our gear riding along on their "2nd hand" bikes. That said, we found a couple of bikes down there, so maybe every now and again they get too enthusiastic about stealing things and go in after divers...

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Swanage Pier,

I just don't get it. Billed as one of the sites everybody has to do in the UK - WHY?

It's dark under there, 3M deep, crap vis and hundreds of Spider Crabs, a £1 (Alex found it) and an old 1p.

Nothing else

ANdrew

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>My worst was probably also the last dive on my PADI AOW... navigation at Wraysbury on the same day as a really bad rescue course... I had to put my wrist mounted compass against my mask just to see the bloomin' thing!

Me and Mrs abucksdiver got out thinking "why do we do this"...

A week later, we were diving in the Caribbean...

abucksdiver

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

Any dive in Cyprus (except the Zenobia of course).

Did 5 dives around Paphos last year.  Good viz on all but no point as nohing to see.   I saw more life in the fish pond at the hotel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
eccy delph night-shit your pants dive
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
angelsey 45m 0.5m vis totally dark, and running= shite your pants
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray
crapenray

oh and did i mention capenwray?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Mine has to be Rhodes a few weeks back. Did two dives with one of the PADI shops out there and came out really disappointed - very little wildlife, and the few amazing sights (two octopus and a cuttlefish) were handled so badly by the dive guide it made me want to punch the guy! Also being led aroud like sheep didn't help - I do have a mind of my own, but you wouldn't guess the way us 'experienced' divers got treated.
Cheers, and dive safe all
Martin

·
Registered
145 Posts
Imported post

Mine has to be in Dosthill last year ....
 Diving with a mate and his missus!! I really should have known better ... i have logged 50+ dives with the guy, so know how he dives!

This dive tho we hit the water..... dropped to 8M ... well me and him did ... his missus ... nope on the surface ....... so we went back up, then after a few min on the surface .... we went down ... i dropped to a comfortable 17M when i see her go up (again) my mate follows her up... with me a little way behind ( I settled at 5M)  he goes up ... sends her back on the surface ... drops back down to 10M and carries on ... we get to the other end of the F******G Quarry in the PO Van when he gets disorientated (no idea why like) so we surface .... and surface swim back ..... I hate surface swimming!!!!!

does this countr as a 'worst dive'

·
Registered
145 Posts
Imported post

what about the worst accomodation for a dive Holiday!!!!
My vote is Sharks Bay Bedouin camp.... Hut's ffs with no air conditioning.... rest of Sharm was great ... just not here... lol

Next time its a live aboard i tell you

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Imported post

Criccieth.
Drive 150 miles, when we arrive there's a "bit of a swell".  Get in the water, cos we've come this far.  
Maximum depth of 3m, viz about 0.5m.  We gave up after 8 minutes

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what about the worst accomodation for a dive Holiday!!!!

fort bovisand plymoth,  untill you have had a shower in the dungon you have no idea about bad accomodation

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Wreck off Amlech Anglesey I think it was called the Dherbent, 40m+ current running like a train, "dragged" myself down hit the wreck, totally exhusted,Blackness, nil vis. Not a happy bunny.

The Clyde wreck of the Beagle, I think we were on the wreck and dropped somewhere in the hull  
OWSI & DM and students, totally disorientated,Grouping about in the sand.

While I'm on the subject off shite vis the Catalina of Largs

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Almost all my dives in the fabled Coral Sea (Australia) were disappointing. The famous Flinders Reef had fantastic vis and huge fan corals but not much else. Didn't see a single shark until we got back to the GBR, which, although the vis is rather poor, has much more interesting diving, in my opinion. The dives on the Yongala wreck, on the way out from Townsville to Flinders Reef, were amazing, though.
Another disappointing trip was the Andeman Islands (India) – awful vis due to run-off because of soil erosion caused by heavy timber-felling.
I agree with John R about southern Cyprus, by the way. The Zenobia is great but apart from that there is nothing to see. A pity, since the vis is super. I've also heard good things about northern Cyprus (the Turkish occupied part), though. A friend of mine who is a semipro underwater photographer had a great trip there 3-4 years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts