YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have noticed that the membership level has grown dramatically of late.  Are there any companies offering discounts to members of YD ?  

Or is this something that the mods have considered investigating.

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

We could always run polls to find out what the largest number of members need, then go to a dive shop and say "Hey, we need forty new regulators, what kind of a deal can you do us?"

Most places give discounts for bulk purchases, after all

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ June 17 2003,11:23)]Most places give discounts for bulk purchases, after all
Count me in if you go for knees, hips, ankles and one elbow.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

I have a contact that would happily look at discounts for group purchases like this.  I've just stocked up actually so nothing I need, but am sure there will be a large group of people that need the same thing.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I like the idea of needing nothing

I wish I got that sometimes... Go to your dive shop to get a simple plastic clip, I`m sure you will think of something you need - it is bound to be over £300 as well!! Go on.. What are credit cards for!

Paul

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

You clearly know me TOO well!!!  Either that or this is a diving condition that nobody warned me about...

Basically, once I completed my OW course, I bought loads of stuff and then did my AOW and bought shedloads more.  I am going diving in Cyprus at the end of this month and so had a splurge last week - and now you've reminded me that I desparately NEED an octopus clip!  

Oh well, I guess the leccy bill can wait...

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

...and you're diving in the sea, so you're going to need a DSMB and reel, and hell redundancy is a must so you ought to have two of each, and do you have a spare knife just in case and hey what's the most impotrant thing you need down there, yep better buy a ponyand reg so have redundant air supply, and then that torch isn't so bright, shame to spend stacks on a hol and not see the wrecks at their best isn't it? so better have a good torch... how much?
... Jesus H these things cost, but hey you know, it's an investment for years to come... oh yeah but what if I drop it? better have one of those lanyard things, no I don't want it to snap, so yes you're right the expensive kevlar one please... that must be the lot now....oh yes you're right, some quality underwater photos would make great momento.....ARGHH!

Remortgage now - once the beast has you it never stops!  

Dave.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...and you're diving in the sea, so you're going to need a DSMB and reel, and hell redundancy is a must so you ought to have two of each, and do you have a spare knife just in case and hey what's the most impotrant thing you need down there, yep better buy a ponyand reg so have redundant air supply,
The sad thing is, I've got that entire list...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and then that torch isn't so bright, shame to spend stacks on a hol and not see the wrecks at their best isn't it? so better have a good torch... how much?... Jesus H these things cost,
You forgot you need backup torches.
If anyone's interested, the cheapest place I've found for Pelican lights is http://www.pelilites4less.com - the Super Sabre 3 C-cell (At least as good as the Halcyon Scout) is £22.99

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

OK now I'm panicking.  I can leave the camera option for now as I bought a digital camera plus casing in January and it is, ahem, the dogs.

Hmmm... now my buddy and I will be doing our first solo dive so we will need a surface marker buoy and potentially a first aid course before we go, hell i might as well do the rescue diver instead.  And my knife is a little green now you come to mention it...  

On the plus side, my new fins are fab (and yes, I have already purchased four pairs of spare straps "just in case"  
) and the North Cyprus 28 degree sea is too warm for a full suit so my shorty is ready and waiting.

Perhaps I also need a new dive bag to carry everything

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You don't need spare fin straps

Just replace them with bungee and take a roll of that along instead

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Too late!  Bought and paid for I'm afraid, have been caught out too many times with dodgy straps falling apart at the last minute.  The one time I needed them to break (i.e. as I was falling face first on the bus stop at Stoney with the tips of my fins caught in a gap between the wooden planks), they held out!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

i.e. as I was falling face first on the bus stop at Stoney with the tips of my fins caught in a gap between the wooden planks),  

That sounds like a similar situation I saw on a Rhib in devon a few years ago.

I used to dive with a uni club who used ABLJs until we bought our own stabs - everyone who is old enough will know these things have crotch straps. A trainee had got fully kitted and then realised his crotch strap was dangling around his feet. Somone did it up for him... He finished his pre dive stuff and duely rolled backwards. I was coxing at the time, so as I put the boat in position, into neutral, checked around, shouted go.... I hear 1 splash followed by all other people on the boat falling about laughing.

The kind person who had done the crotch strap up had managed to thread it through one of the grab ropes on the Rhib, the poor trainee was in the water, head down, fins in the air, completely helpless to do anything. It was a good minute or so before any of us could bring our selves to help him. Sadly no pictures exist of this incident, if they did they would be all over the web by now!!!

Thankfully the release undid under pressure (or it could have been fun) and he was free, and went on to enjoy the dive.

It still brings tears to my eyes thinking about it!!

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

We've had discount rates from Dalesdivers for the technical courses many of us have taken, we have discounted gas fills at Trident Gas Mixers nr Blackburn and we're working on trying to get discounted rates on some dive trips for next year.

Oh, and the best discount of all is that we don't charge for membership of the best dive forums in the UK

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ June 17 2003,17:13)]Oh, and the best discount of all is that we don't charge for membership of the best dive forums in the UK
Great! How do we get to it?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ June 17 2003,15:49)]If anyone's interested, the cheapest place I've found for Pelican lights is http://www.pelilites4less.com - the Super Sabre 3 C-cell (At least as good as the Halcyon Scout) is £22.99
Thanks for the tip, Dom. I've orderd one. Hope it's as good as you say.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts