YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last thing today I had a visit from the local fire brigade, they had recieved a note from the HSE that somebody had reported our fire exit as being obstructed. The blokes opening comment of "you must have pissed someone off" showed his level of concern. Quick tour of the premises had him happy; didnt like us leaving a security bar on the fire door during working hours, but as the fire door was at the side of an open 3m wide shutter door(a third of the width of the shop) it was not a huge drama.

Seems our recently departed operator would like to cause me grief.

This guy(who we knew as a customer from his previous employment) was unable to get a job(?) allegedly time served fitter/welder/gods gift. We fell for the myth.
We had a large contract that needed extra hands, and offered him a temporary job, probably only 3 months.That was last July.
The contract got extended, and I picked up a couple of jobs that I could use him on that I would otherwise of let go. He was limited but usefull.
Then he got comfortable.
His welding was crap, I am not a welder, but three parts he welded all came back with cold welds(kids playground equipment). I was more annoyed that I had missed three, the other 25 I had reworked. They have not failed,I am not a welder.
He was not paying attention to what he was doing and not checking his work.(finding 75 components,(nearly 2 hours work) that need salvaging because the tool had broke and he didnt notice)...I was already using gauges and work routings for him to follow, he didnt.
When I showed him a new task, the first thing he would do is balls it up!
He was an accident waiting to happen, I can think of three incidents where there was a sharp intake of breath followed by"christ he got away with it".
Finally after my less than diplomatic "why is it that despite you claiming to be a skilled man, when I give you unskilled jobs you F$$$ them up?" He decided to leave(he was getting his notice that thursday, it was tuesday).
During his time with us(just before easter), he slagged off every previous employer of his(guess I am now on the list), whilst claiming expertise in just about every area of engineering you could think of, management, health and safety,electrical installation and repair,tree surgery and fitting TV ariels.

As the evil employer I have to put up with this sh67. I just have to manage, new machine, manage, new material, manage, complicated job, manage, paperwork, manage, vat return, manage. Everybody else gets to cop out, I just have to manage.

So carl, I hope you enjoy your single bed housing association flat(divorced twice), 12 year old(high performance though) clapped out mazda, and weekly job seekers cheque.

You could not even make a competent job of trying to F*** me over!

Should I report him to the DSS for becoming willfully unemployed, the inland revenue for unreported earnings on his disco business and fabrication moonlighting or trading standards for trading in pirated cd and dvds??

What was his name again?

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
well james i am a qualified welder fabricater and didnt anybody think of giving this guy a plate test before you let him through ya door?

regardless of whether the welding was for childrens playground equiptment or hi flow petrochemical work like i was trained for it should be done right !

i cant do with shoddy sh*te work !

as a welder u have to be mythodical with working practices following certain criteia to stop u making f*ck ups

and not realy supprised you let him go !

and yes if i had bullets they would have been fired by now i.e the info uve got on him ! as its your duty as a law abiding citizen to make him acountable for his sidelines !

but i would hazzard a guess that the lad asked the fire safety people to pop round !

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Just let him go. Being an employer is a complete PITA. If it wasn't for employees, suppliers and customers life would be far simpler...
and who would do all the work alex? the mannagement ! ye rite ! as with most things their is an exception to every rule but im yet to see a manager who can stand up after dinner and do any kind of productive work lol!! or is that just in my company !

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Job Seekers allowance comes every two weeks and they discourage checks in favour of direct payment into bank accounts

....just saying..........

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well james i am a qualified welder fabricater and didnt anybody think of giving this guy a plate test before you let him through ya door?

regardless of whether the welding was for childrens playground equiptment or hi flow petrochemical work like i was trained for it should be done right !

i cant do with shoddy sh*te work !

as a welder u have to be mythodical with working practices following certain criteia to stop u making f*ck ups

and not realy supprised you let him go !

and yes if i had bullets they would have been fired by now i.e the info uve got on him ! as its your duty as a law abiding citizen to make him acountable for his sidelines !

but i would hazzard a guess that the lad asked the fire safety people to pop round !
He was not taken on as a welder, just a fill in machine operator. Keep a cnc lathe fed, there is a small pile of wrecked tools from where he got that wrong, but you have to make some allowances.
I just struggle to get my head around the fact that alleged skilled people struggle with tasks my dad used to have me doing when i was 10. There are plenty of things that I can not do, but I dont claim that I can!
I have no problem with the fire safety guy coming in, my experience of the HSE has always been favourable. They accept that things may not be perfect but are happy to see people working their best to the spirit of the law rather than prosecuting the absolute letter, taking the piss upsets them though. If there is an issue, I want to know about it as I work there as well!
Stuff the bullets, there is enough gun crime as it is! The rant serves, maybe i should start drinking again?

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Job Seekers allowance comes every two weeks and they discourage checks in favour of direct payment into bank accounts

....just saying..........
We were paying weekly, about 50% more than his previous employment.
Bovered?
not my problem anymore

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
yes the bullet remark was probably ill thought of perhaps and yes its not your problem anymore as you def did the rite thing getting rid !

good luck and best wishes james

leigh :angel:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Should I report him to the DSS for becoming willfully unemployed, the inland revenue for unreported earnings on his disco business and fabrication moonlighting or trading standards for trading in pirated cd and dvds??

What was his name again?
Well they say that what goes around comes around. It's probably your civic duty.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Well they say that what goes around comes around. It's probably your civic duty.

The thing is if you feel as though its your civic duty just now, it was also your civic duty when you found out about these things, so if i was you i would just move on, you are the boss, and one of the reasons you get paid more is because you have to deal with more crap, thats life.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hi.
As a responsible employer if you find you have an employee who is having difficulty's with certain parts of his work, you should retrain them to the standard you require.

Maybe a few kind words to find out why his attention is not what it should be.

Ask if you could help with any personal problems they are experiencing in their personal life.

All this will work and you will get a model employee.

But if not.
.Sack the tw-t.:teeth:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
The thing is if you feel as though its your civic duty just now, it was also your civic duty when you found out about these things, so if i was you i would just move on, you are the boss, and one of the reasons you get paid more is because you have to deal with more crap, thats life.
Well forget civic duty, I'd put him in out of straightforward malice, that's a reasonable enough motive...

In fact I once did this; I had a tenant who trashed my almost new house (which we'd built ourselves) whilst it was on the market for two years; they used polished/varnished hardwood kitchen work surfaces as a chopping board (I don't mean cutting, I mean "chopping"), dragged heavy furniture with steel/brass tipped feet across polished timber floors, cleaned a resurfaced bath with scouring powder, rather than the purpose bought cleaner I bought for them, burned the bottom out of a brand new wood-heating stove by burning coal in it. Not only that, they stole the electric fence generator I lent to them so they could keep ther kids' shetland pony in the back paddock.

And the smell.......

They also had their dead-shit drug dealing/using mates round (20-30 people every Saturday I was told), and had them park on the front lawn, thus destroying it and then instead of handing in their notice, just stopped paying rent 6 weeks before, on the grounds that they'd use the bond (same as deposit which is normally withheld until any damages are fixed), in lieu of rental owed.

When they moved out, I tracked them down to their new house in the process of conversion to a hovel and she swore black & blue that the phone in the hallway of their new house was theirs, until I pointed out that

(a) the phone number in the little plastic window was written in my writing

and

(b) it was the old number that we had when we lived there rather than the newer number which they'd had.

Now I'd been told by the Real Estate people that she (the tenant) was a single woman who's husband had left her, yet every time they rang me to complain that the water pump had burnt out (when "someone" turned off the gate valve from the rainwater tank and it ran dry), or the septic system needed pumping out, or when I rang them on several occasions to try and find out why they were in arrrears for the rent and what they planned to do to fix it, it was her dead-shit "husband" who spoke on the phone, each and every time.

Hmmm - claiming single parent's allowance by feigning the deserted wife, while her husband continued drawing a cash income as a fishing boat deckhand perhaps? Something you can certainly have a shot at getting away with if you live 150km from the nearest Centrelink office.

So did I dob them in? You betcha I did and when the Centrelink investigator asked for my motivation for making the report, I was quite happy to say "entirely malicious".

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
If it makes you feel any better,

I got a phone call Friday from the client saying he is not paying the £4250 + vat bill as he is unhappy with the works carried out.

I have gone through the complaint and he has two valid concerns. I go through this with my employees who at first deny everything but finally admit that they have not carried out the works as instructed.

So I am screwed.

If we do a perfect job and the client refuses to pay i have a 50/50 chance of getting my money in court. When we actually have made deliberate omissions i stand no chance.

So I am down £4250 for the contract which was £3100 at cost.

I have told the employee responsible he will for fit two weeks holiday pay. That equivalent to £1300.00 I personally will still suffer a loss of £1800

He is now threatening to quit (leaving me in the poo four the next four contracts or so)and to sue me. As he will be pot less he no doubt will get legal aid. I will no doubt be faced with a large and unrecoverable legal bill.

This is an employee WHO I helped out of serious debt by personally renegotiating his situation and by personally lending him £2000 which in the end I wrote off having never received a penny back.

What a wonderful world we live in.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
If it makes you feel any better,

I got a phone call Friday from the client saying he is not paying the £4250 + vat bill as he is unhappy with the works carried out.

I have gone through the complaint and he has two valid concerns. I go through this with my employees who at first deny everything but finally admit that they have not carried out the works as instructed.

So I am screwed.

If we do a perfect job and the client refuses to pay i have a 50/50 chance of getting my money in court. When we actually have made deliberate omissions i stand no chance.

So I am down £4250 for the contract which was £3100 at cost.

I have told the employee responsible he will for fit two weeks holiday pay. That equivalent to £1300.00 I personally will still suffer a loss of £1800

He is now threatening to quit (leaving me in the poo four the next four contracts or so)and to sue me. As he will be pot less he no doubt will get legal aid. I will no doubt be faced with a large and unrecoverable legal bill.

This is an employee WHO I helped out of serious debt by personally renegotiating his situation and by personally lending him £2000 which in the end I wrote off having never received a penny back.

What a wonderful world we live in.

ATB

Mark Chase
i tell ya what mark when u help people out like that !especialy financialy and they pay you back with a shoddy job ! which in turn will lose you money ! god i would be inconsolable

best wishes leigh
:angel:

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Well forget civic duty, I'd put him in out of straightforward malice, that's a reasonable enough motive...".
It may be, but it does make me smile when people turn a blind eye when it suits them, and then get all indignant when the dirty gets done to them in turn.

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

No i get paid the same as all the other skilled employees, in fact i have actually employed people in the past and paid them more than I paid myself. Crazy as this might seem, money is not the biggest motivator for me. I am just terminally pissed off with people thinking that having you over(by being useless) is acceptable, "because you are the boss". I pay a fair wage, i expect a fair job in return, as Mark points out that appears to be an unreasonable expectation, regardless of how easy going or helpful you are to an employee.

Well this one can go back to enjoying his benefit existence. Now i get to pay for him sitting on his arse as well.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
No i get paid the same as all the other skilled employees, in fact i have actually employed people in the past and paid them more than I paid myself. Crazy as this might seem, money is not the biggest motivator for me. I am just terminally pissed off with people thinking that having you over(by being useless) is acceptable, "because you are the boss". I pay a fair wage, i expect a fair job in return, as Mark points out that appears to be an unreasonable expectation, regardless of how easy going or helpful you are to an employee.

Well this one can go back to enjoying his benefit existence. Now i get to pay for him sitting on his arse as well.
Im sure you are not alone when you have employed people who earn more than you on occasion, but i am sure you have some advantages of being the boss, if not..., well its your business.

Of course you should expect a fair days work for a fairdays wages, regardless other issues. It may be a sad reflection of our society that people want money for nothing, but i guess it has been like that for a very long time.

You asked about shopping him, if you feel that he should be shopped now, why did it not suit you to shop him before, i think you should chalk this one up to experiance, and move on, oh and pay yourself a better wage, after all is that not the point of being the boss?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Im sure you are not alone when you have employed people who earn more than you on occasion, but i am sure you have some advantages of being the boss, if not..., well its your business.

Yeah like all Chinese women are subservient.... its a myth :D

There are very few advantages in being the boss in a small buisniss in a volatile market. The stress is a killer, quite litraly. Most of us in this level of "being the boss" do it bacause we need more mental chalanges than the 9-5s and we enjoy the gamble.

My friend Ian earns about the same as me but he works of a major insurance company. He gets medical, 5 weeks paid holiday, a cresh for the kids for nothing, a company pension. None of which I get. However this dosent matter. The key thing is when he was seriously ill and off work for seven months he was paid and he had a job to come back too at the end of it.

If it had hapened to me id have lost everything and be in debt for the fixed contracts i have to pay

oh and pay yourself a better wage, after all is that not the point of being the boss?
No not even close.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Yeah like all Chinese women are subservient.... its a myth :D

There are very few advantages in being the boss in a small buisniss in a volatile market. The stress is a killer, quite litraly. Most of us in this level of "being the boss" do it bacause we need more mental chalanges than the 9-5s and we enjoy the gamble.

My friend Ian earns about the same as me but he works of a major insurance company. He gets medical, 5 weeks paid holiday, a cresh for the kids for nothing, a company pension. None of which I get. However this dosent matter. The key thing is when he was seriously ill and off work for seven months he was paid and he had a job to come back too at the end of it.

If it had hapened to me id have lost everything and be in debt for the fixed contracts i have to pay

No not even close.

ATB

Mark Chase
Thats the joy of being self employed, and when it works out for you, you will be happy about all the effort you put in. I bet Tom Farmer has had some PITA employees over the years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts