YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Anyone interested in getting a group together to visit the Historic Warship museum in Birkenhead. The exhibits there include the U-534, the british submarine Onyx (Falklands Veteran), the British destroyer HMS Plymouth (Falklands Veteran), the minesweeper HMS Bronnington (HRH Prince Charles' erstwhile charge), LCT 7074 and an old Bar Lightship.

Should you decide to make it on a spring tide Saturday, we may be able to rustle up a barbie in the evening at our licensed clubhouse less than half a mile away.

Let me know what interest there is.

Geoff

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Geoff

That sounds like a great day out, however when i travel that far its to stand on the KOP. Maybe a full w/e depending on fixtures.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Hi Geoff

Have you decided a w/end? As I would like to attend with my other half, Liz.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Aye,

sounds like that could be a top day out actually. Any dates in mind yet?

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>How about adding in a dive or two in the docks?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

This trip gets a massive thumbs up! I was out doing surface cover for Hayhurst yesterday and this trip came up in convo - appaprently it's a 'must-do' trip, so deffo put me down for a seat please.

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Mark

A few years ago i did a big home defence exercise, where we were testing the local defence units (largly TA + the Kingo's (watch your wallett)) who had to defend places like Liverpool Docs.

I was tasked with a night infiltration into the docks accross / under the Mersey, beleve me you do not want to swim in that day or night, Neaps or Springs.

Sit on the banks and watch the tall ships race, its much more enjoyable.

Regards

Paul

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Paul,

I've dived in the Queen's dock quite recently and I think you'll find it's much changed since you were there.

They've done loads of work dredging out all the muck and there's now quite a lot of life that has re-introduced itself into the docks. It's now quite clean!

Trust me - it's worth a dip!

Mark.

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Mark

OK M8, i'll trust you on that one even though you are a copper, it was a few years ago i did that and the mud, muck, flotsam and jetsum were quite mankey.

Got in using some kyaks in the end, much easier to keep the shooters working when they are out of that muck.

Bit like Dover now, since they opened the big new sewage works the vis has got so much better (and no i'm not jokeing).

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Great! some positive feedback. Just what the doctor ordered. I'll pop over to see the warship preservation trust today about prices (and a possible deal for a larger than normal group) and get back on the pages to update you on a date. The idea of a dive in Salthouse Dock is a good 'un although I think there may be a problem as the management has changed very recently so I'll have to get in touch with Bill Broadbent to see what can be arranged. Once all the details are to hand I'll post date, venue, prices and directions so everyone can find where to go for subs, dock dive, parking, barbie and drinks.

Regards

Geoff Oldfield

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Latest news about Salthouse dock is that ownership HAS changed, however procedures are still the same, ergo, application with risk assessment must be forwarded to Bill Broadbent so that he can issue a license, which will be impossible before the 1st of September as he goes on holiday tomorrow. Alternative might be Eccleston Delph for a dip?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Right folks, Saturday 30th August it is. Need names and numbers so that I can brief the organisers at the Warship Museum on how many to expect. Numbers for each U-boat tour are limited to twelve per trip. They normally run one at 11.00am and one at 3.00pm. As each tour of the sub lasts about an hour and a half I may be able to arrange them for the afternoon, but I'll need names and assurances of attendance. Cost for the combined tour of all the vessels is £13.50 and the total time for all the vessels should take about three and a half hours. Visiting in the afternoon should allow those that want to dive to take a dip in Eccleston or Capernwray first thing on the Saturday morning.

We will be firing up the Barbecue at about 6.30pm at our clubhouse, BRING YOUR OWN FOOD, Bar should be open from about 6.00, which is just around the corner. Directions as follows. If you need to kill some time why not take a trip on the Mersey Ferries, or hell, make a weekend of it and book yourself into a hotel in Liverpool and sample Mathew Street on a Friday night - BOSS NIGHT OUT I CAN TELL YOU!!!!

TO FIND OUR CLUBHOUSE...

Exit the warship museum turning right to the lights on the roundabout. Take the first exit ensuring you don't turn left immediately after the lights. Carry straight on to the next traffic island and take the first exit. Follow the road past the pub on the right and turn right into Riverview Road - Signpost - Guinea Gap Baths. Our clubhouse is opposit the baths between the RNA club and the Recreation Centre - Car Park is round the back of the Sports hall.

E-mail names direct to me ASAP at

Max number of attendees is 24.

[url]www.warships.freeserve.co.uk[/url]
[url="http://www.merseysidesac.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/"]http://www.merseysidesac.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/[/url]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts