YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just decided to take my PADI Open Water further by doing a cross over to BSAC Certification and so id like to find myself a dive computer suitable for the following needs:

- Air and Nitrox Compatible
- Suitable for both UK Low Viz and Overseas diving (drysuits and wetsuits)
- I would like to do Technical Diving of sorts in both UK and PADI Adventure Dives abroad when i get to that level in time (maybe wrecks,caves etc)
- Budget?? id rather buy something that was going to last not just for my current diving needs but for future too, so happy to push the boat out
- Sceptical about wireless transmitters, but wouldn't rule it out, i like the idea of using less gauges (less to knock and break) may be of added value in smaller spaces (caves/wrecks)

Please any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, or if not to recommend a computer, help me refine my needs to ultimately help me choose one?

Kai.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Get a Suunto Zoop.

What you want in the future will change and nobody anywhere can tell you what it will be,
so go for what will do for right now, knowing that you can sell it for very little loss at a later date.

Sometimes future-proofing just makes the present more complicated, keep it simple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Terry said.
Suunto Zoop?
Mares Puck?

Either of those would do the job for single gas diving, and look at what you want in the future when you get there...
I like both suggestions, however im a techie and would certainly want the option to upload to a computer to store dive information/history etc.

Adding the cost of a cable to a Zoop makes this the same price as a Suunto Vyper (practically). So is the Zoop still recommended on that basis?

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I like both suggestions, however im a techie and would certainly want the option to upload to a computer to store dive information/history etc.

Adding the cost of a cable to a Zoop makes this the same price as a Suunto Vyper (practically). So is the Zoop still recommended on that basis?

Yes it's pretty much the same computer and the zoop can download.
Vyper is backlit (zoop is luminous) and has guage mode, which means you can cut tables.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd have to check the suunto vyper, I've mostly been looking at that one on weebay as it was the first recommendation I had. The auctions I've looked at some of which include a cable.

I think I'd like to see some in a store, ill see what my local shop has next time I'm in for air

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I'm pretty sure for all computers the data lead is an "optional extra".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Not all, some of the Suunto's come with the cable included

Good deal on offer for Vypers over at the other forum look in the dive computer sub-section and you will find it unfortunately cant link it on here.

·
Weasily recognised or stoatily different?
1,130 Posts
Fair enough, I stand corrected.
The deal at Aquanauts does look very good though, especially with the discount info from the (other) dive forum.
If that comes with the comes with the comms lead that's really good value, because I seem to remember our Mares data lead was quite expensive.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Yeah I think the average data lead is about £50+

They do come up on eBay occasionaly but obviously thats hit and miss if and when they will be on there.

I think you can still buy those cheaper copies of them the only thing there is you need a copy of the older Suunto software not the movescount crap as the non-suunto cables wont work with it.

Even though the wife and I no longer use Suunto's (both using Shearwaters now) I still have copies of all the older software just in case someone ever needs it.

·
Weasily recognised or stoatily different?
1,130 Posts
The vyper does look like a good deal, and to be honest the screen layout looks better than on our Pucks.
And if it comes with the lead (which it would appear to) that would be the one I would probably go for now...
As has been said, we all buy kit then think another option would be better.
About the only thing I bought first time round I wouldn't change is my cylinder ;)

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
I have an Apeks Quantum. The x does 3 gases, has a compass, gauge mode, backlight and is about the same cost as a Vyper. If you get one, ask how long they have had it as if they have been on the shelf for a while, they will need a battery change (really easy have done several you need a CR2032).

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have an Apeks Quantum. The x does 3 gases, has a compass, gauge mode, backlight and is about the same cost as a Vyper. If you get one, ask how long they have had it as if they have been on the shelf for a while, they will need a battery change (really easy have done several you need a CR2032).
A friend of mine is on his 5th Quantum I think, His wife is on her 3rd or 4th all warranty replacements I think the daughter is the only one who hasnt had one break yet.........

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
A friend of mine is on his 5th Quantum I think, His wife is on her 3rd or 4th all warranty replacements I think the daughter is the only one who hasnt had one break yet.........
I have 2. Apart from batteries, they've been rock solid and live on neglect and abuse. I've also had 2 Vypers, both of which failed due to pressure sensors packing up. Unlike Apeks, they don't have a lifetime warranty so were binned.

I also have a Stinger (no problems) and a VR3 (no problems).

5 computers may be a bit excessive :(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.