YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Guys
it seems as if Scott has taken a lot of flack in the Planned Trips section and that in all fairness I should comment.

When I trained OW/AOW it was in what I would call warm water (Lanzarote/France) several usefull skills would have been of benefit in the course should I have decided to do UK diving. Now I appreciate that the courses were run abroad so things we need here, dsmb, poor viz, cold etc werent part of my courses as they were of no use in those environments.
I wanted to dive in the UK, or at least try it, I found Scotts web site and contacted him. He arranged for me to do some try dives in Stoney. I think I have now dived with his group 6 times or thereabouts. I have as yet paid NOTHING, no membership, no feees, NOTHING. He has never made this an issue and when I recently mentioned this, as I was embarrased, he suggested I paid a very small amount to cover some of his costs as it was doubtfull I would be joining him on any trips, I prefer one day things. All this was available before I even knew of YD, which was quite a while ago. Without his assistance I doubt if I would have continued to dive in the UK, as I had virtually nobody to show me the way. I was at this time a member of a BSac club, that episode is well documented elsewhere and I'm not going over that ground again. Suffice to say I didnt receive any training as it wasnt convenient to them or me. Scott made time.

In short, the guy gives his time for no reward other than personal satisfaction in seeing divers become safer, he recoups the cost of vital safety kit via a 'profit' on his trips.
I dont see him as a commercial organisation in the sense that is all he does to earn a salary and I know a lot of divers cut their UK teeth with DiveFun/Scott when they might well have stopped diving altogether.

It may be ironic for me to say this but lighten up guys.
Now if I see the irony in that, shouldnt you lot.

Rgds
Matt

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Aye Matt,

I have, over the last couple of days, since this norz blew-up, exchanged emails with Scott and today he called me and we had a very even-handed and level-headed convo on the phone. He's also, more importantly, been in touch with Jay to clear the air and seek the owner's advice for future deployment and posting on YD's fora.

He agreed that he might have done a little more homework in ascertaining how me might have gone about joining the boards, and possibly the posts he made, but coversely, some of the pointed flack he received in response was out of spirit for the good people here. Put simply, he posted, in all earnestness, with no malice or nefarious intent - that was his only crime. He accepts this and is happy to make amends on here, if required.

So, this now firmly put behind us, we can crack-on with safe diving, right?

Cheers,

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

One of the really good things on here is that we are mature enough to reflect on what we have written, either here or elsewhere and having re-evaluated our statements decided that if they were incorrect, bad tempered or whatever, have been gracious enough to make amends either publicly or in private so the original spirit of YD continues.

I hope Scott realises this and continues to post and add value to the site.

Matt

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Its a pity it turned into a bit of a ruck but I'm glad its all behind us and I hope Scott keeps posting. At least we can as has been said above, get over our differences and mistakes and move on on YD:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bren,

Thanks for your time today.  Time to move on.  I have taken your advice and hope that I can continue to make a valid contribution to any future posts.

As Bren tells it.  Let us ALL move on and in our own way continue to promote dinving in a positive way and provide new divers with the experiance that we have gained.

I hope that I have soted out the signature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts