YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current travel insurance policy doesn't cover trips of more than 30 days. (not surprising seeing as I get it free with my RBOS bank account)

My sport diver insurance is due up June 1st and so is my third party liability diving insurance.

I go away (and I am sure your all fed up hearing) on May 15th for 14 weeks to do my DM intern-ship.

I need insurance to cover above my EICC card while I am away and to cover any diving incidents / accidents.

My Scuba gear is normally covered under my home contents but again as its away on prolonged use its not covered.

you experienced folk that work away in the diving industry what do you do?
I believe divemaster have a combined travel / dive insurance, any comments?
What about DAN? it looks cheaper than dive master? as I am doing a DM Intern-ship do I need to get pro diver insurance instead of sport diver?

Any help / comments would be most welcome. need to sort before the 15th.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I use DAN (professional). You'll find loads of policies for short trips but anything long its incredibly hard to find a policy.

Ive got DAN for diving and liability and TPS for travel insurance currently.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I've just joined DAN basic at £48 per year, I'm covered 3rd party when instructing with my BSAC membership otherwise I would have gone for DAN professional. They do a travel assist policy as well that may be suitable.

When you consider the bills some poor divers have been left with recently, DAN's premium is a small price to pay for cover.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
The trouble with DAN insurance is that it's really not a substitute for travel insurance. There's stuff that it doesn't cover. I'd look on some sites like STA, Travelbag and others at their backpacker insurance which normally covers longer trips. Just check the depth restrictions. Some are 30m which may be a bit restrictive.

Jason

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
My current travel insurance policy doesn't cover trips of more than 30 days. (not surprising seeing as I get it free with my RBOS bank account)

My sport diver insurance is due up June 1st and so is my third party liability diving insurance.

I go away (and I am sure your all fed up hearing) on May 15th for 14 weeks to do my DM intern-ship.

I need insurance to cover above my EICC card while I am away and to cover any diving incidents / accidents.

My Scuba gear is normally covered under my home contents but again as its away on prolonged use its not covered.

you experienced folk that work away in the diving industry what do you do?
I believe divemaster have a combined travel / dive insurance, any comments?
What about DAN? it looks cheaper than dive master? as I am doing a DM Intern-ship do I need to get pro diver insurance instead of sport diver?

Any help / comments would be most welcome. need to sort before the 15th.

Cheers

Where are you going?

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you are are going to be working as a PADI DM you will really need some insurance. PADI insisted on proof of this before they renewed my OWSI cert this year and I am pretty sure it will be the same for DM. You will need Professional cover with a legal defence supplement. Regardless of whether PADI insist or not, I would recommend you make sure you are properly covered. From the various companies I looked at, I think DAN are by far the best.

As for travel insurance, I already had a seperate basic policy for annual multiple trips so I didn't really look into it with DAN. I think they offer something but not sure it will be what you are after. Something like moneysupermarket.com should give you a few options. Obviously you shouldn't need to include diving on this policy, since your seperate diving insurance will cover you.

Hope this helps....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.