YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

After having a conversation with a mate yesterday about helicopter rides to pots etc and who paid for them, I got to thinking about dive insurance...

I'm not a member of any clubs at the moment cepting YD of course
and have therefore let my SAA membership lapse and with it any limited insurance cover I may have had with them.

So.. I'm wondering, should I ever have the need to be taken to a pot (God Forbid) would I be billed for the privelage?

If so it would appear that I need insurance toot sweet, and if so who would you recommend?

As far as life insurance etc is concerned that's already covered, It was more the costs of emergency help that I may one day require that I'm not so sure of.

Thanks in advance for any input

Regards
Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

In Scotland, N.Ireland Wales and England, as long as you go to a NHS registered pot (which you will unless you own the helio),and as long as you are a UK national or are from a country with reciprocal arrangements, it is all on the NHS. You do not require insurance. I think this also includes the Isle of Man, unless you are commercially diving and not a Manx resident, and it includes Jersey and Guernsey.
Spend your cash on diving trips.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>think you have to be registered with a local gp as well so they have a budget to bill. Your local GP will love that one

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Dave - I've got DAN insurance for this reason.

If I get in trouble anywhere I want it sorted without filling in forms etc.

It's not that expensive either.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

It get billed to your local health authority, not the GP.

Peter

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ben @ Nov. 18 2003,13:51)]bet glasgow health authority loves you then pete!
Love him? they've made a voodoo doll of him !
Dan insurance - the chambers will try to avoid DAN if there is any other possibility. DAN is an insurance co., insurance co.'s don't like paying. They wriggle, they squirm, they bullshit. It adds about a £1,000 to the cost in admin fees - and you, the patient, have got to fill the forms in, with the NHS the chamber fills the forms(and forms, and forms......) in.
It makes our life much easier if you are registered with a GP and can impart that information. The GP's address defines the health board, not the patients - and health boards don't like big bills out of the blue!! Obviously.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phill @ Nov. 18 2003,14:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ben @ Nov. 18 2003,13:51)]bet glasgow health authority loves you then pete!
Love him? they've made a voodoo doll of him !
So you think they're trying to damage him?

But surely that would make more work and expense for themselves.

I think there's a lesson to be learned here - never let weegies run a health authority!  

(or maybe they just want a change from scraping pies and irn bru out of people's clogged up arteries...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts