YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thinking of subscribing to a dive mag. What are the good ones and what are the bad ones? ill try a few before paying for it all up front obviously, but just want a general idea where to go.

I get the Undersea Journal from padi but dont think its that great.

Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
To be honest

...I wouldn't bother!

I went through a phase of subscribing to Dive, Diver and Sports Diver. After 3 years I cut it down to Dive and Diver because Sports Diver seemed to have an American focus.

Then I quit Diver because most of the letters that appeared there also appeared in Dive as did the articles within a few months of each other. Now I receive Dive but if I had the option to reduce my BSAC membership and not receive it then I'd gladly do that.

IMHO the best option is to go to WH-Smith or a similar newsagent and browse through the magazines and buy whichever takes your fancy......you'll be surprised how many months you walk away with nothing!

If you have to subscribe to any then the one that gives you £50 to spend at Seven Tenths has to be the one to go with. At least you get some decent dive threads out of the deal!!!

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
I subscribe to Diver but just flick through it these days.

That said, July's issue is going to be bloody brilliant with an absolutely fantastic article about diving in the Bahamas accompanied by some stunning photography! :wink:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi, thinking of subscribing to a dive mag. What are the good ones and what are the bad ones? ill try a few before paying for it all up front obviously, but just want a general idea where to go.

I get the Undersea Journal from padi but dont think its that great.

Thanks
Luke
Dont bother they are all crap :) I still have Dive delivered from BSAC despite telling them to stop sending it,i dont even bother opening it anymore,just put it straight in the bin.It always amazes me that they start with 100 blank pages and still manage to fill them with the same old crap every month.:angry:

Paul.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I received Diver for some 6 years now and getting tired of the format. It needs a big makeover IMO, worst the Sea People is no longer funny.. I recently subscribed to Dive and think it's good. For those that complain on these two you should read some of the European dive mags, they make me yack!

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
I subscribe to Diver but just flick through it these days.

That said, July's issue is going to be bloody brilliant with an absolutely fantastic article about diving in the Bahamas accompanied by some stunning photography! :wink:
Why has BJ been to the bahamas:) ?

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
No doubt someone will be along to promote Diver :D

I subscribe to Sport Diver, but event hat hsn't got much in it these days, so it may go at the end of this subscription period.

·
Playing on the net instead of working.
164 Posts
'990' was good :thumbs_up: . Then it stopped :thumbs_down: .

I say bring it out again but change it slightly to cover all aspects of UK wreck diving not just the deep stuff.................

Oh, and have a cartoon strip in there too. I know a struggling cartoonist with experience of drawing for the diving press but I'm not allowed to say who or where he is because I'll get my arse slapped again by a forum administrator.

www. can't put my web site address here because I'll be banned from the forum .co.uk :zip:

;)

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
I received Diver for some 6 years now and getting tired of the format. It needs a big makeover IMO
Funnily enough the June issue landed on my doormat yesterday, and guess what? It's had a makeover! Not that different, mind.

·
Mmmmmmmm
256 Posts
There are lots of people whom will advocate buying no magazine, and I can see their point of view. However, I like magazines, and have bought all the mains ones at some point, but generally feel that Diver, for me, is the best read.

I also think it is quite reasonably priced if you subscribe for 1 or 2 years, and you actually want one of the free gifts. I wanted a bag for my fins etc. so that worked out good.

I buy magazines for other hobbies now and again (do not subscribe to any others) and have to say that Diver is the only place you feel you are reading an honest review of an item (even if you do not agree with the review, you have to agree that it was written without too much concern about advertising revenue etc.)

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I noticed Monty has a new column in Dive. :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

I'm still an anorack and I actually read them.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I noticed Monty has a new column in Dive. :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

I'm still an anorack and I actually read them.
I suspect the reading of Monty's column has nothing to do with you being an anorak ;)

If I didn't recieve Dive as part of my BSAC subs I wouldn't buy it.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Sadly I have actually got an anorack. And a flask. And a tartan blanket. Oh dear.
Of course you do, you live in Daarrzeet :)

Safe diving,
Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts