YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ironically at the same time Garf was announcing he was going to do the GUE Instructor course, I was considering doing my Dive Master.:D
I suppose I want to do it for a number of reasons:
# I would need to get fitter and loose the excess flab. :redface:
# A chance to help new divers, the way others have helped me. :) (how do think that went??)
# It'd be a challenge.

I have no set timetable and I'll be doing it with my local club (Overland Underwater), sooooo any advise?
Ta

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
I'd go for the internship option if you have that choice, we advise that for a lot of out people.
While others might poo poo it as cheap labour for the diveshop, in reality you get a thorough idea of what being a DM is all about.
'Real' working DMs have to make tea for and look after customers, do fills and all the other non-diving stuff that goes into running a centre.

A year or so back (probably more), someone asked on here about how to do the DM course 'without making tea for jumped up instructors'. I saw that post just after Brian had hoovered the shop, I'd done the washing up and we'd both tidied the classroom ready for the next course - there may have also been a bit of toilet cleaning that day as well.
The fact is that those things are happening 7 days a week, not just at the weekend when most of the interns are working.

Right, that's the negative bit out of the way ;), you will also be working with several instructors and assuming that you want to become an instructor yourself, then 'pump' them as much as you can, see how they teach and nick all of the best bits (just not the crap jokes that we trot out to every new course :D).

Most of all, enjoy the course and I suppose the biggest tip I could give you is don't leave the bits that you don't fancy until the end otherwise it seems to drag on as you keep putting them off.

hth
P

·
Wrecked Member
252 Posts
Agree 100% with Turbanator. I spent 2 years as a TDM before completing my DM, I was in no rush and saw it as an excellent way to pick up as much information and experience as possible from as many different Instructors as I could.

You can, in theory, complete the course in 6 weeks, but does that make you a good DM?

Enjoy the course, and get as much out of it as you possibly can.

regards
Geoff

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
100% agreement with the previous two posts... take your time and enjoy it! You can learn a lot on the DM course that isn't in the books if you throw yourself in and ask loads of questions! Top tip I was given - don't finish the course until you're happy and feel ready - most places won't begrudge spending a little extra time making sure you're 100% ready and that will count for a lot when you come to do your first activity by yourself. Also, from an instructor's point of view, a solid, capable DM is worth their weight in gold! I'm lucky to work with some guys/gals who I know I can rely on to calmly step up if things go to the dogs! Makes my life much easier and I really appreciate their help.
I'd also suggest you do the DSD Internship as soon as you can - sharing what we all enjoy, yet take for granted, with those you've never experienced it, is really rewarding.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice!
I will be interning (ish), I'll be working with 2 instructors as time goes on.
I don't mind helping out, they all know me well enough not to take the pi$$ though:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts