YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Im starting to think ahead about some more serious diving (planning the ADV nitrox/deco procedures course) and am interested in views from experienced divers on the relative merits of the different dive plan software available.

At the moment I am reading up on V-planner and am finding it very interesting to say the least.

Any info would be appreciated

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I started with V planner but I quickly moved on to Deco planner. It is much easier to input your profile and gas list and the results are clear and detailed. Being GF based you can set a vast array of safety ranging from Granddad to Suicide Pilot. It also has the very useful ability to set different SAC's for deco gas and bottom mix.

All in all a great bit of kit

Mark Chase

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Nov. 02 2003,18:54)]It also has the very useful ability to set different SAC's for deco gas and bottom mix.
<font color='#F52887'>and so does Vplanner....

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Yes but a lot of the others dont.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Kirky,

Have you see Drogon? Have a butcher's here:

Have a Swaatch

any of you guys suing Drogon? What d'ya reckon?

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Nov. 03 2003,18:24)]any of you guys suing Drogon? What d'ya reckon?
No, why? Do you reckon we could get some cash if we did? I think that Ben is our expert in this field  

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys - I`ll give them a looksee. As I understand it, V-planner is based on microbubble control - is this the norm as I have read that some use M-values???

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Cheeky,

Not anymore, no more chasing ambulence for me  

Personally I favour deco planner, gue or not, its the best looking out there, easy to use and like pro planner has been dive tested (by Wkpp or vr3) so you know it works, not sure v planner has been.

Deco planner is nicer to use than pro planner.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Whoops! I meant 'using' - many a slip twixt cup and lip  

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Mark - in terms of GF`s, what are they (in numerical terms) in relation to the "suicide pilot/grandad statement??

I assume that GF(low) is a low number for deep stops and GF(high) is a high number for shallow stops so for example a 35%(LO) and a 85(High) indicate a conservative plan but a 85%(low) and 35% high is a more risky one.. Any insight would be of help in my understanding of the theory

I`m not trolling - just trying to sort the theory out in plain english!!!

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kirky @ Nov. 04 2003,19:27)]Mark - in terms of GF`s, what are they (in numerical terms) in relation to the "suicide pilot/grandad statement??

I assume that GF(low) is a low number for deep stops and GF(high) is a high number for shallow stops so for example a 35%(LO) and a 85(High) indicate a conservative plan but a 85%(low) and 35% high is a more risky one.. Any insight would be of help in my understanding of the theory

I`m not trolling - just trying to sort the theory out in plain english!!!
GF low is indeed the deep stops. The lower the GF the closer to the lower M value you will be. The lower M value represents the deepest depth at which off gassing occurs.

The lowest GF Low is 5%

The higher M value represents the decompression ceiling. The fastest off gassing will occur at this theoretical point. Fast deco is not necessarily good deco.

The Highest GF High Is 100%

GF High is the same but targeted at the shallow stops. Most off gassing occurs at the shallow stops. Running low end GFs at the shallow stops is not an option as the decompression time is massively extended and problems of in water hydration and cold become an issue.

As an example

A 40m dive for 30min on Air with Air deco

(Almost) Straight Bhulman stops 100/100

2   @ 9
25 @ 6

My Granddad Profile  20lo/80Hi

1 @ 21
1 @ 18
3 @ 15
4 @ 12
6 @   9
45 @ 6

Reversed GF profile 100lo 45Hi (the deco past 45% was to big to compute unless I inserted a 3m stop)

6 @ 9m
260 @ 6m

IMHO running 100/100 profiles is likely to end in tears. Running 20/80 like I do may be way too cautious for some divers but I would point out that most dive computers will be running at or around this level.  Run this air dive as a simulation on your Sunnto or Aladdin and you will see that the deco is similar to the 20/80 commitment. On my Vitec it gave 52mins of deco with a first stop depth of 8m On 20/80gf it gave 60mins with 9mins of stops below 8m so it works out about the same with the deep stops as the Vitec will add these as a slow ascent rate.

One of the problems with divers going on tables for the first time is that they are (Generally) used to diving conservative profiles on their dive computers and suddenly they start diving more aggressive AND deeper / longer dives. That’s why I now realise that it is important to understand deco and get some training like TDI Decompression Procedures before going for it. Unfortunately like a lot of divers I did it first and went for the training later. I only realised how silly that was after I took the course J

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Thats got to be the first half decent explanation of decoplanner GF Ive seen.
Pity gue couldnt explain it like that in the manual!!!

Cheers Mark.

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Mark - as Ben says - excellent translation, even a dummy like me now understands

many thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Do you have to buy the Decoplanner software or can a copy be download /aquired somewhere without paying the $89 from GUE.

gareth

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Kirky,

Brens link above takes you to the Drogon site, click on `thoughts on usage` this will take you to a section on deep stops explaining Richard Pyles theory and Reic Bakers gradiant factor theory and explains m values.

Added
That should read Erik Baker  

1 - 15 of 15 Posts