YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well here we go, Phil’s dive guide to his trip so far;

Didn’t bother diving in the Cook Islands, there was just nothing to convince me that it was worth the money. Not that it was particularly expensive but the internet reports and talking with people who had dived there it just seemed that it wasn’t worth the effort.

Fiji, well very disappointing and very sad really. I learnt to dive here and remember such vivid colours and amazing fish life. The coral was grey even when blasted with the Kowalski; I was very depressed about this and hope it is not a sign of the deterioration of the corals due to global warming. I was told that this is happening throughout the South Pacific and can only hope that it is temporary and that they are wrong. Wishful thinking on my behalf most probably!

All gloom and doom!! No. New Zealand. Well thankfully the cloud of gloom was removed when I did my first boat trip to the Poor Knights Islands from Tutukaka with believe it or not a company called ‘Dive Tutukaka’, a superb setup. I was slightly worried about the very regimented way that the outfit was run from the start. You qued at the counter where you paid your money, had your qualifications checked and then were handed a ticket with the name of your boat and your equipment requirements on. You then went to the equipment counter where you qued and received your equipment which was then immediately removed from your possession and you were told you would next see it on the boat. Slightly worrying but ran like clockwork, if a little ‘Teutonic’ in its application, but hey it worked and the gear was there when you were ready for your first dive, so who am I to disagree with the system!

Then with some apprehension as to whether the rest of the trip would be quite as regimented I headed off to the ‘Bright Arrow’, which was to be my boat for the day. From here on in the atmosphere changed and I settled in to a day of mild piss taking and good solid dive mastering from Craig and a lovely Dutch girl who’s name I am ashamed to say I cannot remember. They were both instructors and took it in turns to guide the less experienced on the boat whilst the other did surface cover.

What followed were two excellent dives in some ways very similar to the west coast of Ireland. Vis was between 15 and 25 meters and the fish life was lively and seemed quite used to divers sharing their wonderful and very colourful environment. Some people would at this point name all the fish and soft corals and other interesting life but I couldn’t remember or identify half of it. Needless to say my view of the Poor Knights is  that if you are lucky enough to be in this part of the world then it is a ‘Must Do’.

I will post the next thrilling instalment soon now that I have access to plug the laptop in. If anyone wants contact info for dive operators or accommadation then feel free to e-mail me or I can include this in my following reports.  Also if anyone wants any more detail then send me an e-mail.

Now arrived in Australia and spending a few days with friends, hence being able to connect the laptop. Off to Thailand soon as the money is getting low very quickly, and should get a shed load of dives done quite cheaply.

Dive safe and see you when the credit card stops working.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Cheers for that Phil,

Where in Ozz are you gonna dive?? GBR?? Great Ozzie Bite?? Coral Sea??

Either way, take care mate and keep abreast of how you're getting on. Pity to hear about the Cook Islands - let's hope it's 'just' Nino!

Cheers,

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Glad to see you had a good dive at the nights,
Its one of my fav spots to go for a dive when I hit the North Island...

Pity I didnt know you were about, I would have co-erced you down to the south island for a spot of winter diving..
Still have fun in Aussie and if you get the chance to Dive wolf rock which is North of Brissie.  Snap it up
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts