YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>hi all,

I know that a lot of clubs start to get fit, do shallow dives .. building up for the summer months hard diving.

oh dammmmmmmmm

JUZ CAME DOWN FROM LONDON leaving his dry bag in the boot of his girlfriends car,,,,, long way to carry a twin from his car to the boat, then taken it back again , when he remembers where his suit is
  Oh well, he came for a ride out on the boat, seeing how i worked etc etc ,,, he was even shown SEAGULLS floating on the sea, on RADAR,,, plus a fast moving target, as one flew low level past the boat.

Anyway, please check ya kit is packed before coming down to Dover for a dive.

Andy

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Could be worst. I know 2 people who drove 170 miles only to realize that they had packed all their kit except for their drysuits

How is Dover today? Hope it is still nice and flat ready for tomorrows diving

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

A one off mistake is fine....but one of the blokes that has latched on to me at the lake in Luxembourg (he's actually one of my bosses) always forgets something every weekend.

Last time it was fins (previously fin straps but he brought his fins), lights, mask, weights....you name it....I've always got double everything BUT when he forgot his fins...he asked me if we could dive one fin each....I told him what you would say too...he did a good dog impression all the way through the dive....he forgot his torch too...so I had to hold on to him...he towed me all the way through the dive in water temp 1c....it was hilarious....I let him do the navigation too...easiest dive I've done in a while.

Bloody idiot...anyway...hopefully he won't do that again.

I always do a checklist, you would imagine that most people would....

Graham

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>a fella I dived with last year drove all the way to pembroke from shropshire. It wasn't till we were getting ready to go out on the boat that he discoverd his dry suit was missing. fortunately the fella we were diving with had a spare but it was a tad on the small side this bloke must of weighted 20 ston but we managed to squeeze him in.
It was a blody laugh.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>just back from a potter with 'experienced' divers and the cobwebs are evident even thought we dive all year,a few weeks out and a normally seamless routine goes to rat-shit.
so people heads out of arses and switch 'on'.
on the bright side my new c-bear is the business and now i'm a snug bugger!!
safe diving.
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Yes my buddy and I had a dive at the NDC today after having out kit serviced and him with a new BCD prior to our trip to SOM in 3 weeks.  Good viz and a rather pleasant 9deg C. Everthing went to well until I realised I hadn't screwed down the head of my back up torch as the lens was full of water.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Turned up on Defiant this summer ready to do a 60m dive. Step on the boat and a bloke asks me if by any chance I have a spare wing with me. I start to laugh but then I realised he was serious. He had forgotten his wing?

Turned up on Tango ready for a 70m dive. As we leave harbour chap says to me 'Hey can I borrow your lap top I need to do a deco schedule'  
 Soooooo just me that had been slaving over various dive plans and gas profiles for weeks. I had to ask what he was going to do if I had not had my laptop with me. 'Ohhhh I would have just copied someone else’s' he said.

Is it me?

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I always "kit up" in my head when I pack my gear. That way I have not forgotten anything at home the last 100 dives.

Still, I thought it was really tough getting down below a couple of dives ago. I thought it was my new undersuit. Then I realised I was about 14kg light.
Loooong way up to the car through half a metre of snow... to pick up my weights. I've now realised I have to kit up in my head as I kit up in real life.  

Hey ho

Kyrre

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre,

That's funny...I'm sure you felt better walking back down with the weights.

The bloke I mentioned earlier, who forgets everything, just called me....he left his weight belt in his Porsche (wanker) and can I lend him some for tomorrow.

I said that I was not going to dive with him tomorrow.

Am I too harsh...I'm diving with a novice tomorrow and don't want a liability, another one, to be there?

Graham

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Well

As the DO for a branch that watches like a hawk to get me back for the odd bit of piss taking i might on occasion do i dare not forget anything, 'cos its guarenteed it will be on our web site, newsletter, the next few committee meetings and will be a special presentation catagory at our annual dinner dance.

So i do several detailed checks before each dive. However socks for in my drysuit are the usual culprits

Dive Safe

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>PAUL,,,

why have i been asked to get a photo of you in your   " shirt , tie and Hi Viz waist coat " ?

lol

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I forgot essential bits of kit twice last year. The first time it was my fins (they were at home in the bath after being rinsed the night before after a pool session) and the second time my weight harness. Both times I had driven 70 miles to dive and with the same buddy. He was amazing, didn't say an angry word. And then there was the time a year earlier when I  forgot my undersuit and had to dive in jeans and all the sweaters I could lay my hands on.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Andy,

Is the request from some East Europeans? I have upset a few lately

Then again i have also upset Africans, Albanians etc, etc.

Ho Hum

Paul

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Guilty of leaving my Dive Comp at home..But as I still keep my manual guages hooked up wasn't to much of a problem.
but I have been known to hit the water with out my weightbelt, fins once and catchbag
much to excessive ragging out from the lads on the boat.
also guilty of losing my lunch over the side  

Steve

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>last year i got my hands on a decent bit of video from a trip to malta,the best of the action was a 65 mtr wreck with a diver who will not be shamed by naming him could be seen pointing to his wrist and raising his arms in bewilderment,as the camer pans in you could cleary see his vr3 in his finsulate pocket.
the 40 vis and good quality video camera gives a record of the fact.
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>well i have to confess to my computer sitting bery helpfully with my logbook on the living room table having just been used to write up dives when it should have been at 20m with me.

However there is an instructor on here who shall remain nameless
 who has just got new suit and tanks and not dived in a while (just to be fair to him), was busy poddling around the bottom of the pool with 40 odd lb of lead and just only just staying down, about 3 days later he suddenly realised that his bcd was still inflated

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

l went to Selsea to dive with skipper (Diveeclipse) early last year and realised that l didn't have my blue fins, l had my daughters lime green ones instead.
l thought it wouldn't make that much difference, but they are much smaller and it felt like they only just fitted my toes.
Had a crap dive because l forgot my gloves (l have three pairs) as well and it was freezing.

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Imported post

I heard a story about somebody at our club. They drove from Leeds to Stoney around Xmas time for the "last dive of the year". Got all his kit out and discovered he'd forgotten his drysuit.

He goes into the shop to see if he can hire a drysuit. He decides to offers the information that he's not "officially" qualified to dive a dry suit, but has his own and dives frequently in it. Unfortunately Stoney aren't prepared to take the risk and he spends the rest of the day watching his buddies dive.

Duh....

Shouldn't laugh I'm sure my time will come.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts