YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Can tell by the amount of divers starting to dive , that for 90% of you, diving in the salty stuff from now is the start of your season .

PLEASE PLEASE be safe and take the first few dives easy.

So, many have lost life this year already, and a 2 has had a major bend from here .

lets keep the incidents away from YD.

moral of my story is ,,,,,,,,,, Dive Safe and dive with FUN

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

I can only echo Andy's thoughts, I had a long chat with a friend of mine today who is pretty much "in the know", it has not been a good year so far.

This year there have been 31 serious diving insidents, last year we had 11 deaths, we have passed this figure already.

Please, please be careful, plan your dives and don't try to be clever.

Andrew

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Totally Agree,

My other club has already done a lot of diving this year and we have "Practiced" for real CBL x 2 (Panic attacks), AAS (Inexperienced SD), Head/face Injury 1st Aid, 1 x Coastguard call out for the head injury, 1 x Rapid assent (short) following a cocked up DSMB deployment. 1 x BC failure and 2 x Lost Weightbelts. Thats in about 300 dives so far.

So practice them skills and test that kit.

Ahh last year - similar number of dives and only 1 minor issue.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

Couldnt agree more......

If the UK charter boat skippers compliled the diving incident reports, I wonder if the picture we get from the current BSAC repoprt would change much?  Of all the incidents listed below, I know that only 2 will appear in this years report!

There were 150 dives off the boat this weekend (May bank holiday) and here are the stats - before anyone asks..... everyone is thankfully ok

2 divers with significant missed stops due to being unable to hold a 5m stop ( released with no treatment by duty diving medical officer)

3 further instances of missed stops - turns out they were safety stops but the divers could not hold them anyway

2 instances of rapid accents due to changes in undersuits without thought being given to the effect on buoyancy

1 inverted accent (drysuit wouldnt dump properly)

2 rapid accents following a oring failure at 8m (buddy provided AAS then they both lost control in the confusion amid the bubbles)

one very tired and stressed skipper  

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I've been lucky....... having very switched on divers.

110 dives.

1 case of the boat leaving the dive site and travelling a mile, to get a Maltese coaster to get back in the shipping lane and away from my divers, bridge crew were hanging over the bridge wing having a ***..... took 3 minutes for him to answer ch 16 ......... then the fu**er didn't understand what i was saying or what the A FLAG meant ............  BUT THE TERM FUC* OFF and a finger pointing to get over.....
He under stood that.

Same thing happened yesterday, but was a 3 masted sailing schhoner, at least he understood plain English , and got back in the lane

OH

Aborted yesterday afternoons dive , as swell was in excess of 1.5 mts, i wasn't prepared to let anyone off the boat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts