YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Well its alright for you lot but I wasnt diving at the weekend and I am upset about that? Well, yes & no really. I made a real nice job of the fence and front garden so I reckon I must have accrued plenty of Dive Tokens this weekend, a bank holiday and not a single dive - boo hoo

However, having spent in excess of £300, battered myself black and blue, I think it was worth it. The giver of tokens is well pleased, the kids down the road can no longet use my lawn (Ha!, whats left of it.) for WWF or Rugby so I reckon the next Bank holiday is going to be mine to do with what I want. So if the great weather God can only come up trumps I'm laughing all the way to the Coast.

Life can only get better!

How did yopu lot get on over the weekend?

Matt

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>was suppose to be in Swanage but was blown out.

Ended up staining the garden fence and things
OK to go next week if the weathers better.
Bob

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Imported post

We did Anglesey Sat/Sun, but could only make a few dives. Saturday we did two sites including the Hermione (sp?) which i always like as it was my first sea dive! We went back on sunday to investigate a nearby site where some other wreckage had been spotted - but the first two in were nearly horizontal while holding on to the boat so it was called. We then did a shore dive out of treaddur, which was pants. Vis crap and chocka block - don't see what the attraction is myself. Didn't bother staying for the Monday as the weather was only getting worse... Hopefully the tides will be better in two weeks!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

We've had perfect diving weather all weekend but that unfortunately also means it's been perfect gardening weather, so, like you, I had to spend it gardening
. Still, I'll be diving tomorrow evening and again on Saturday, so I mustn't complain .  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ April 22 2003,08:06)]How did yopu lot get on over the weekend?

Matt
I didn't fare any better than you Matt, offered to take some trainees out from my old club, they only wanted to dive Monday for which I had a rib booked to do the Farnes, but with a poor weather forecast and a depleted number of divers (due to having colds) the trip was cancelled and I never got out diving all weekend

So like you I was catching up on DIY, and  grabbed a couple of hifi bargains in the sales to to cheer myself up  

Never mind, there's another BH along soon
Chee-az
Steve

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I spent Sat and Sunday with Ben and Paul C and various members of the Skipton mob doing the Garvellachs.

Flat calm conditions, great wall diving and delightful company. Did I mention that the sun shone all day too?

I'll get me coat ...

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Likewise Matt,

Just was not meant to be,  was going to Dive Saturday but a trip down to the smoke Friday evening and and a very late return put paid to that.

Oh well,  there is always next weekend.

Daz

P.S Thanks for that Gav,  makes me feel much better  

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

I got to go diving in Cornwall! Mother-in-law has a B&B in Looe, which means each time we go and stay, I get to dive!
Dived on Good Friday, and did the James Eagan Layne for the first time - viz was about 1.5M - apparently up until last weekend it had been 15M+!!! The ride was a bit choppy, and arriving at the wreck made me think this must be something like doing the Thistlegorm - there were boats everywhere! Dropped down the shotline and spent 35 minutes (max depth 20M) seeing lots of rusty metal! The wreck is coated in dead mans fingers and starfish, very little wildlife, but then again with all those divers, what did I expect! I'm sure when it's a bit quieter, and better viz, there's lots to see. We then had to wait while one of the guys on the boat went off and did one of the dives for the TecRec course (spent an hour in <1M viz learning about stages!). We then went off to Looe Island and did a drift dive in the forests of seaweed which surround the island - again, about 40 minutes (max depth 10M) in 4-5M viz. Saw a dogfish, some wrasse and managed to find a 12" pipefish (buddy missed it, even though I did shout at him through my reg to look back here!). Again, had to wait another hour while the TecRec student did shutdowns with no mask etc. The viz in Cornwall is usually so much better than the Channel (where I usually dive), so always look forward to getting a weekend away, even if it is with the mother-in-law!
Regards, and Dive Safe
Martin

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

spent Sat, Sun and Mon at the NDC with a bunch of Belgians, dark and cold and nothing to see, then there was the diving ha, ha.

Down the 50M shot, swim out to 60M turn left swim for 8 mins, turn around swim back for 8 mins, find the shot 33 mins to get back home.

Hmmm, even the fence has an appeal. Still, got three new Ex-stream's and they worked like the dream they are, new Custom Divers reel worked, Argon inflation kept me warm, good and ready for the sea now. Where shall I go?
?
??

Andrew

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Good weekend - down at Breakwater in Portland. Nice poodle around the Countess at about 11 am - vis about 7m and 40mins in the water. Started getting a bit busy just as we got out - spent the rest of the day lounging around in the sun until 5 for the next splash - was supposed to be the Frognor but as the wind was getting up we diverted to the James Fennel - just a pile of crappy metal in the rocks - no sign of a ship !!

Saturday blown out all day - boo

But Sunday was top - the M2 was touch and go due to the weather but we got there in the end - bloody busy with 4 boats on it but well worth it. Vis 4/5 m and a very entertaining boat ride - waves bigger than the boat ! Budgie handled it with his usual quiet skill though - top man !

Add that to the fact that Portland Oceaneering had a 2nd hand set of OMS 12L bands and bolts for £10 cash - how could I say no ?

Paul

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Justin Owen @ April 22 2003,08:55)]We did Anglesey Sat/Sun, but could only make a few dives. Saturday we did two sites including the Hermione
hey i did the Hermione on sat

we went out for a look at carren hen, but as we didnt want to use the sea king, we thaught we wiould give it a miss, (told them they had the tides wrong lol)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Big apologies to Steve W, it was me that had to pull out of the farnes on monday due to having a cold - pretty damn snotty I was too.

Sorry Steve - promise it won`t happen again.  

Paul  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>No worries dude, happens to us all from time to time. I put the time and money to good use and bagged some hifi bargains in the sales "whoo-hoo!"

I'm going to post the trip again and see what the response is
Chee-az
Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts