YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

My club are planning on doing our monthly weekend trip away to St. Mary's Island near Newcastle; but none of us have ever dived there and we have no idea on what sort of diving to expect (don't know why we are going there really it just sort of happened).
Has anyone ever dived there or got any info on the sort of dives, conditions to expect?
Cheers.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>St Marys is a small island connected by a tidal causeway to the mainland just north of Whitley Bay.  Your nearest dive shop is Deep Blue for air etc.
The diving is shore diving, with all the typical stuff, gullies, sandy bits etc, with access via the road i think.  Let me get home and i will check it all for you.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

http://www.dcordes.freeuk.com/stmarys.htm

If you're travelling all the way from darn sarf you might be a bit disappointed, it's relatively shallow (10m max) and the walk across the causeway to the preferred enty point is a PITA, to be blunt. But it can be a very pretty site if the viz is good. For abit of variety you can also dive from Brown's Bay which is the bay just north of the marine laboratory in Cullercoats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

We were looking at the Farnes but wanted to stay in Newcastle, somebody sugested St. Marys Island but it doesn't sound to exciting.
Any other suggestions for diving around Newcastle, and boats to use etc. would be apreciated, any wrecks down to about 50m would be cool, but decent shallower ones would make an easy start of season weekend.
Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts