YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

If any of you manage to get out to Oz try somewhere that isn't the Great Barrier Reef. I dived Exmouth (North-West Cape) last year and it was awesome (an over-used, but in this case appropriate, word). The famous Navy Pier at Exmouth is the nearest to fish soup I've ever come across, and being a namby pamby warm water diver (mostly) I've dived some bouillabaisse in my time...I've been told the diving's great all the way down the West coast although not tried it myself. It's worth noting that the water temperature can be quite a bit cooler than off the east. Now none of this is to detract from the obvious benefits of the Barrier Reef...but there's more to diving with the matildas than a packed liveaboard out of Cairns! :confined:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Imported post

Hiya paul,
Gonna be in WA myself in October.
I have an old mate I used to play rugby and ride motorcycle trials with who emigrated some 6 or 7 years ago, he now lives in Kalgoorlie. He's been known to get wet on the odd occasion and if you're ever in Seadog Dive Supplies in Huddersfield, you'll see him in the photograph within the porthole on the shop wall.
As we're only there for a few days before hitting Caloundra on the East coast, I've been looking at diving Rottnest Island with him, through Perth Diving Academy, as the alternative is down at Albany which is too far of a drive for such  short stay.
Have you dived Rottnest or do you have any suggestions for a better dive, given that we'll be staying in or around Mandurah, 60-70k south of Perth?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I'm told the knocking shops in Kalgoorlie are A1... :eek:fftopic: seriously though, I have to confess that my knowledge of southern WA is hearsay. But for what it's worth Rotto is supposed to be a good place for a dive or 3: on the other hand my spies tell me that the HMAS Swan isn't worth it. Ozzies being friendly sorts, no doubt you'll get the best advice by wandering into a dive shop and asking around. Wish I was coming!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts