YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..........not having much to do today, I thought I would irritate the jewellers in Norwich. Having asked to inspect every waterproof watch in the window, I started on the catalogues - now a very fancy timepiece rated to 1,200 metres has a helium valve...........???? Now the very unpleasant lady in the first shop didn't know how it operated only that it was so the watch could decompress (I didn't ask if it needed a recompression chamber if it came up to fast)......so, could any of you knowledgable types answer what it is for please? No flummery!

Dianne

PS Can anyone recommend a good dive watch please?

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
PS Can anyone recommend a good dive watch please?
Can't help with the first part but what do you want to use the watch for? Look nice, timing...

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't help with the first part but what do you want to use the watch for? Look nice, timing...
Well, I dont want to keep taking my 'good' watch on dive trips, one day it is sure to walk........so I want something I can wear all day - but not look like a wannabe diver muppet.......and as I am off to the Red Sea, 'twill be good to have something I can use as a dive timer on some of the bimbles....so a proper dive watch, not the ladies ones as they are microscopic and not a cartwheel either!

Dianne

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I believe (but may be wrong) that in saturation diving situations, helium can seep past the seals on the watch and needs to be released on ascent.

As for recomendations, I've had a citizen aqualand for 14 years and it's never let me down.

:thumbs_up:

·
Go Big or Go Home
1,865 Posts
i have one of these (helium wotsits) on my watch but its on the elbow side of the bezel and so small you have no chance of manipulating it with any kind of glove.Iwill look in my owners manual for the blurb but i think its to release the gas on assent and to prevent the glass from being pushed out?

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I have a gents Citizen Eco-Drive which i use for exactly that purpose. It never needs winding up, sunlight (or any light, really) does the job.

It has one of those twirly bezels that can be used to irritate blokes. :D

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I have a gents Citizen Eco-Drive which i use for exactly that purpose. It never needs winding up, sunlight (or any light, really) does the job.

It has one of those twirly bezels that can be used to irritate blokes. :D
...Or keep toddlers amused for several hours if I remember correctly!:)

I hate to say this, but Frosty is quite correct.
The pain that must have caused you.:p

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
...Or keep toddlers amused for several hours if I remember correctly!:)

The pain that must have caused you.:p
I have put out a call for the first aid kit :)

Citizen Aqualand watches should do the job, look nice too.
I agree... it does look nice, but when i was thinking about dive watches, I tried one on and found it very heavy and cumbersome.
But then I am only a delicate girl :p

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not all serious dive watches have or need helium escape valves. A few of the better engineered examples are able to withstand the internal pressure increase without the crystal blowing off.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
My everyday watch has a helium valve thingy but it's more like a recessed button than the omega crown and i believe frosty's explanation to be right. When i go diving i use one of the citizens as a back up to my computer works a treat. These these rolex omega etc look fantastic but would you take one diving at that price? I've always worn dive watches for everyday stuff because i like the way they look but more importantly normal watches don't seem to stand up to everyday abuse from my job etc.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
I believe (but may be wrong) that in saturation diving situations, helium can seep past the seals on the watch and needs to be released on ascent.
I have one of these on my watch, I also doubt I'll ever get a chance to use it.

Frosty is correct, they are designed for saturation diving and you would open it inside the bell to prevent the lens and seals being pushed out of the watch as they were returning you to surface pressure.

Jezza

1 - 20 of 41 Posts