YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

This is the continued thread from the Wrecks forum if you fancy coming along, probably makes more sense to post it here...

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Aye, I saw this beastie on the box too. Looks a beauty of a wet. Me down for seat!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Much as I hate to rain on a parade. There is not much too actually see. If the archies are not working on her most of the interesting bits are sandbagged over to stop further degradation. If you are dead keen trips can be organised from Lochaline, though for most folk to get up there is a long journey they would be happier on other wrecks in the Sound.IMHO

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

No problem Peter.  I'd rather hear an honest opinion about a dive site with some useful info rather than go on a long trek somewhere only to be disappointed.  

Now you mention it, I do recall something in the programme about the sandbags - I guess I'd assumed they'd been removed.

I think we might still arrange a dive trip through Lochaline though as they seem to have quite a few other dive sites which look interesting.

Anyone with any experience of the Lochaline operation?  Info or experiences would be welcomely received.

Cheers

Fiona

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Fi,
   I dive Lochaline several times a year. It does depend on what you are interested in. To dive the Swan and Dartmouth you need to be qualified in the understanding of how to treat these wrecks. The centre runs trips to them all the time, but as I said for non-archielogical(you-know, bad spelling) the sites will be covered in sandbags. They do not run trips out for divers who do not have a clue on how to treat a site. If you appeared out the blue wanting to go there you would be looking at sandbags, unless you were archie trained. The sandbags only get removed when there is archie work going on. YOU WILL NOT be allowed anywhere near. Surely this is understandable.
For divers there is so many other interesting sites about this area. The Hispania for starters. If you are keen on running a jaunt up here I'll see what I can do. It might be a laugh running into some of this crowd(As long as your 6ft tall and don't bring Gav);o)

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Why can't I come too!!

Me and Fi dive the West Coast a wee bit when we can tear ourselves away from Abbs.

We'll be over doing some of the Mull wrecks at the end of January - 25/26 I think. From what you posted we better get the Hispania in soon.

In regards to the Swan - me and Fi were thinking about doing and archie course maybe? Also there's a meeting in Edinburgh on Jan 18 I think about marine archeology I'll post the details later.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Of course you can come Gav, if your 6ft tall, blonde with big err, t-shirts;o)
Lochaline runs NAS courses. The part1 is all pool work. This teaches how to box off wrecks and start measuring, logging, etc. Part2 teaches OW work. This I believe is when they let you out to the Swan and Dartmouth without the sandbags. To reach part2 will only set you back a couple of hundred quid. Check their website and all the bumff is listed.  

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Pete - I'm blonde 6ft 1 and I've got some big T-shirts.

I'll check out the course.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Sounds like if you dive this wreck, you'd better post a trip report on sandbagnet :rofl: :rofl2: :lol:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Keep me in mind Gav....

And yes, you'd have to do an Indie course with Lochaline to visit the Swan as it's a protected wreck......

TSAC was at Lochaline in June so get your arse doon t'pool sometime to find out about it you two! (Or click HERE )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imported post

Quote: from Driftwood on 8:45 pm on Dec. 18, 2002

And yes, you'd have to do an Indie course with Lochaline to visit the Swan as it's a protected wreck......
This isnt strictly true. Although the Swan and Dartmouth are both protected Lochaline Dive Centre operates a vistor licence, under the auspices of Historic Scotland. The licence allows them to take Sport Divers to both sites but all divers have to be named.

Unfortunately the money ran out so there isnt any work being done on the sites at present and, as mentioned previously, they will both be sandbagged to protect them. Last time I spoke to the guys at Lochaline they said there isnt a great deal to see unless the archaeologists are at work.

Have a look at the Lochaline Dive Centre visitor scheme, the info is old but the visits are still available
Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.