YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Wan't sure where to post this plea, please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place!
We are desperately looking for a BSAC Diver Cox'n assessor.
Have RYA level II, and lots of experience plus access to club boat, willing to  travel pretty much anywhere in UK.
Only problem, need to do the assessment before April 3rd, or the boat stays home this Easter  

If you can help, or know any one who can help, please post or mail on [email protected]  Cheers.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

wr1

As good a place as any, I assume you posted on the BSAC site as well and have tried your regional instructor team - via BSAC website.

Well I know Odin of this forum is an assessor, but we're in the south west, and judging by your email, you are a bit far.

However if you brought your own boat - you never know. I have been meaning to get around to sorting a day with him myself.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Imported post

The operation on the throat appears to have been successful - managed my first half of Lager tonight!... so Adrian, when do you want to take the exam!
Cambridge is a bit far away for me - but, would they want the exam carried out on the River Cam??? Watch out for the punts (I did say PUNT) on the river

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Well they could always wander down here for the w/e...

As to me et al. I wan't to get a bit of practice in first, so I can at least fail with flying colours

Lager! Kepp taking the medicine, your not out of the woods yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Cheeky people on this forum aren't you!!!  Punting indeed, everyone knows the only place to punt is Oxford!!  Duh!

Thanks for the replies. I did indeed post on the BSAC site and have got a couple of localish contacts to try first, however, if they fall through I'll give you a heads up if that is OK.    Hope whatever it is that is ailing you is on its way out!  Adrian, we are only two, if we do end up in the SW corner, and you wanted to come along, I'm sure we could accommodate you fir a bit of a burn.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Imported post

If you do find yourselves down 'ere in Devon - contact me.
If Felixstowe is a no go for the assessment - and you are in Devon/Cornwall for Easter - we may be able to arrange something!
Paul
p.s. In Lyme Regis today - new slip is being built. The sea was like a millpond, but it wasn't 'alf foggy!!!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Yay for new bigger slips. I hear that an all tides one is to be built in West Bay as well, so that may spread the load a bit.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hurrah for new slips.

WR why can you not take the boat without a Diver Cox'n?

If you are a boat handler and you must be, to be aiming at Diver Cox'n, that should do i would have thought?

Or are you a UNI with extra rules?

Dive Safe and good luck in the exam.

Paul
A Diver Cox'n but not sure why i did it

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Paul
A Diver Cox'n but not sure why i did it
So, to learn to lift engine before hitting the BEACH

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

W*n*er,

Bent nut

We bend it every year and mend it every year. We will fix it properly one day  :laugh

Would have helped if JP had not knocked the skegg of a week earlier.

Paul

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Mar. 05 2004,20:56)]WR why can you not take the boat without a Diver Cox'n?

If you are a boat handler and you must be, to be aiming at Diver Cox'n, that should do i would have thought?

Paul
<font color='#0000FF'>Paul

My club is the same, we need to have at least one Diver Cox'n on board preferably two.

Fiona

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Fiona

I just wondered why? Is it an extra club rule you have imposed yourselves?

Idle curiosity

Paul

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Probably Paul

Boats cost a lot of money to fix and beleive me we have gone through some props, although some of those have been due to very experienced people.

Think it might be because the boat handling course just about teaches you to drive in straight lines and there is more to it than that.  Isn't really a problem with my club though we have more than our fair share of qualified people.  However I don't know the ins and outs of the insurance policy so this might also have something to do with it.

Also its difficult to get some people out of the driving seat so other folks can get more experience  

Fiona

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

hi again,

We are now diver cox'ns - thanks to nice people at Old Harbour Divers, Weymouth.

The new BSAC boaty stuff will be announced at LIDS (just as long as my club doesn't change its mind and make us take the new cert too!!)

From what I can gather, they are planning to make the qualification come in line with other organisations, so it is recognised outside of BSAC.

Fiona - shhhhh....don't give people ideas!!  

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Boats cost a lot of money to fix and beleive me we have gone through some props, although some of those have been due to very experienced people.
Thats bad seamanship............

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]From what I can gather, they are planning to make the qualification come in line with other organisations, so it is recognised outside of BSAC.
I was on the phone for hours yesterday and e:mails were flying, My insurance company laughed when i tried to get my mate who has the BSAC cox ticket on my insurance , so that he can use the boat for pleasure.

They will only accept RYA quail's......
   and basically was told that marine insurance companies will only cover people with RYA quail's by this time next year.

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Fiona

Sorry should have explained a bit better, we are a Rhib diving club with 3 of our own plus access to another 3 or 4 from other sources

We know all about the expence

But we only require a boat handling ticket of some sort and very few bother with doing the Diver Cox'n assesment as we don't see the point.

I do have to agree on the skills set from the BH Course though, fortunatly most of ours have their quals through the RYA or RNLI. Perks of living on the coast

Any club member with a ticket can take a boat out for a jolly, which pays dividens 'cos they tend to do a bit of maintenance on them as well.

As for experienced members breaking them, nothing worse than the DO doing that infront of most of the club

Drive Safe

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As for experienced members breaking them, nothing worse than the DO doing that infront of most of the club
a whole new meaning to PEBBLE DASHING    huh mate

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

I told you the ginkel pin holding the doohickey for the sponkelpump was bent.

You would not beleve the way a minor bump can be totally exagerated over the year, and the prop blades were designed to come out.

They just did not want to go back in

Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts