YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've just seen on the news that a Diver from Stoke on Trent called Dean (Sorry I can't remember his surname) has died whilst penetrating the Zenobia. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say rest in peace.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The news on Divernet gives his name as Dean Hearne. There's not much content to the report but it suggests that he may have got lost when penetrating the wreck and ran out of air.

A lesson to all.

Sincere condolances to family and friends.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Amen to the above.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

I heard this news a couple of days ago and I felt sick.  I heard that a DM, working for Octopus Diving in Larnaca was missing, presumed dead in the wreck.  It turns out that it was a visitor (tourist) who went missing.  No less tragic, but I thought of my friends at Octopus at the time.

I am stunned that this should happen to anybody diving with Octopus.  They are a 'top' outfit and they know their way around the wreck like I know my way around the back of my hand.

Please, please, please if anybody dives a wreck like the "Z", treat it with the respet it deserves.  I spent a week there in 2001 and in 2002.  When we penetrate, we treat it like a cave dive.  It IS a cave dive, only MORE dangerous because of the instability and the reduced visibility.

I sympathise with the family of the diver concerned and with Ian, Jon and Graham at Octopus.  Terrible.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts