YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hear hear!!! As a recently qualified newbie (who couldn`t get any more excited about his new hobby if he tried), i`m finding it a bit distressing in the last few months with all the recent incidents. Not second guessing my decision to enjoy this amazing sport, just finding all these incidents worrying

ATB
Rob

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

Rob.

You're right, it is worrying to read about diving incidents, but bear in mind the number of divers who don't have accidents.

Keep it safe.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Rob

Yes it is quite worrying, the spate of incidents we are having, however as Martyn said the vast majority of dives happen incident free.

This item would appear to be a correct reaction to any abnormality after a dive, and what the Emergency services and diving agencies recomend you do.

Dive safe

Paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>just seen another incident being reported here! Thankfully, because the dive community is a tight bunch of people, the reason and why fors, is never reported too far after an incident, which can only make the sport safer for those who take notice of such reports, which can only be for the good surely?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

He's now cleared the chamber, for tonight, and is in hospital.

Since we were 5 points down when I had to leave the game (4 minutes into it) I take it that it wasn't a very good game ?  

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Phill,
     Do you know what site he was diving and is it a Glasgow lad?

Peter

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

I can confirm that in a rescue, organised by Clyde Coastguard, a rescue Seaking from HMS Gannet based at RNAS Prestwick, yesterday transported a diver exhibiting signs of DCI from Furnace, Loch Fyne to Millport Hyperbaric Unit. The casualty received treatment and was transferred to the Lady Margaret Hospital.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Cheers Phil. I read on SD what club he's from so I reckon I know who it is! Glad he's OK.

Peter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

glad to hear the chap is ok we were diving at furnace quarry and had spoken briefly to the guys who  had just dived the wreck as we were packing up to move onto the furnace inn for soup and hot chocolate one of the guys buddies asked if we had oxygen. we did and gave it freely. so god forbid anything happening to any divers out there dont be afraid to ask for help from others divers we all now the risks and would like to think that we would all help each other in an incident once again im glad hes ok.
 rob34 dont let these stories put you off as unfortunately you will probably hear more in the next few months as divers that havent been in the water over the winter get back in and dive deep and long not realising there not dive fit it takes time after a lay off to resume previous dive profiles

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

Don't let it put you off Rob, it's a great hobby. I'd logged over 5,000 dives (recreation and commercial) before my carcase decided to pack it in for me (leg troubles, not DCI  
). Now I just repair you/train you/rescue you.
It's great that a site such as this has people on it who are prepared to talk about sport induced illness's,  not be censured for becoming ill, and remove fear of treatment from those who are destined to become chamber customers. The largest amount of damage is caused by denial.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts