YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Sorry to report, I've just spoken to Ben 'Driftwood' Durrant and he was on scene today, and helped in the attempted rescue, when one member (a male) of his dive team died at "Furnace Quarry". His initial text message to me reads:

"Bren, Please post on YD and DN. It is my sad duty to inform you a diver died at furnace quarry today. May they rest in peace." [message ends]

Time and date stamp: 14:27:38 - 10/05/2003

Now I don't know where 'Furnace Quarry' is, unless Ben means Barrow-in-Furness; conversely, as Ben was diving with his local dive centre, it could be a dive site local to his locale in Edinburgh - Gav, can you provide clarity on my last? These are all the details I have at time of going to press, although Ben has said he will contact me later with fuller details and after he has managed to inform the chap's family.

Either way, a sad day, as always on occasions like this. RIP.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bren,
        Another sad bit of news. I hope it was no-one I know.

Furnace Quarry is in Loch Fyne. It's a seawater quarry(actually part of the Loch) which goes down to 50mts approx. I've dived there many a time.

Peter

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Yes, as Peter said it's Furnacy Quarry on Loch Fyne just north of Inverary.

I can't add much right now as it's believed there is to be a fatal accident enquiry.

The diver sadly leaves a wife and family.

I'd like to thank those who have been in touch with me as this has not been easy.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>PLEASE REMOVE THAT LINK!

Diane King's "story" is full of crap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts