YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

hi folks
        small snippet on teletext today on bbc scotland that a diver is missing,and that a search is on, nothing much more than that. anybody anymore info
             fraser  

·
'Actual Yorkshireman'
281 Posts
Imported post

There's a bit about it on the BBC.
He failed to surface from a dive on the Hispania.
Just hope they find him and it isn't anyone any of us know.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

This is not a good year at all.

The weekend before my last Mull trip there was the tragic events on the Shuna. Heading up to Mull again this Friday and now it looks as though there is another tragedy.  

I hope it is positive news this time.

Simon

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snash @ April 13 2004,08:17)]This is not a good year at all.
Last year there were eleven recorded fatalities. By my counting, this weekend brings the total (since the publication of the 2003 statistics) up to about ten !  And this is before the year has really started for many divers. This is not counting the guy taken away from St Abbs in an ambulance after a rapid ascent but I don't think his condition was seen as too serious as they left his buddy behind at the car park.

To quote the guy from Hill Street Blues "People, let's be careful out there..."

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Still no name, but he's a 39yo from England. Not looking good I'm afraid, here's hoping though!

Peter

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>10 already...  Juz and I have just been chatting about this and I thought it was only about 6 or 7.

As Steve says the season has only just started, so stay safe everyone.

Fiona

G

·
Imported post

This is always the "bad" time of year with so many not diving over the winter and starting back around now.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

There were about three or four who died just after the incident report went to press, which strictly speaking was still in 2003 but they will be included in the 2004 report so that's probably where the difference in the counts comes in, either way, this year is shaping up to be worse than the previous year for sure.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Any more news on this guy? Can't find anything!

Peter

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Dave,
                  Someone else PM'd me that link. Very odd!

Peter

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've just read that link and at the risk of starting a for and against argument, I don't know of that many Dive Centres in and around Oban who might send out a RHIB. So for all the slagging this particular dive centre gets, it looks like they are still responcible enough to get a search team together and provide transport on their RHIB.

Just my humble opinion.

Dave C

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Hi guys

Just back from my stag week on Mull. I will post more about the shenanigans later.

Not sure how to put this, so will just jump in.

It was my buddy and I who found and secured Keith's body off the wreck of the Hispania on the Monday prior to his recovery by the Strathclyde unit on the Tuesday. Another unit, from Humberside, were involved in the search with a side scan and asked if we would prepared to join the search.

I do not think it is appropriate to go into detail, except to say that I am glad that his family and loved ones have his body back to bury.

Simon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts