YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Just as I was starting to consider moving to a wing a colleague at work is offering me a barely used (8 dives) DiveRite Transpac II with Recwing in "as new" condition for £150.

My initial impulse is to rip his arm off!

Any comments on this bit of kit?

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

I have a transpac II with a Super Wing, It's very comfy but a bit of a fuss when switching between twin sets. I have also managed to break it. I have to say I was stupid, but it probably should have coped.

My opinion is though, knowing how much I paid for it. Get ripping.

Andrew

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

Rip his arm off!

The wing will cost more than that to buy on its own and can be put on a bp later if you so wish.
Been diving mine for over a year and no complaints yet.

regards,

MAL..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>At that price definately take his arm off - the wing is at least that price alone without harness

Mine is great for drysuit and warm water in the Rec Wing set up - maybe a little excessive for single, ally tank stuff like I do at the moment but far better than my old BC - better adjustment, trim and comfort

Paul

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Sep. 01 2003,23:54)]Just as I was starting to consider moving to a wing a colleague at work is offering me a barely used (8 dives) DiveRite Transpac II with Recwing in "as new" condition for £150.

My initial impulse is to rip his arm off!

Any comments on this bit of kit?
I owned a similar combination and it is uttely, utterly horrible.

I intensly disliked the TPII. It 'unclipped' itself twice while I was underwater when I reached across myself to double check my autodump, once when I had 20 minutes of stops left...

The D-Rings were also in the wrong place for me at the chest, and I couldn't adjust them until they were.

The chest strap was also uncomfortable and when pulled tight enough to keep the arm straps comfortable, it restricted my breathing.

Buy a BP and wings combo. You can get one for not much more than that and it is far, far better. Believe me, been there done that. You find lots and lots of people who move from TP/CD Wing etc but very very few who go the other way.

The important question is - why are they selling after such a shor time?

Chris

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Chris, it sounds like you had the old Transpac, not the TP II, or am I wrong? The original Transpac had several faults, which have been rectified with the TP II.
I have the Transpac II with Recwing and love it. I don't have any of the problems you mentioned. For use with my single 10L x 300 bar and 3L x 300 bar pony it's ideal - very comfortable and lots of buoyancy and the D-rings are in exactly the right place for me. As regards it breaking, DiveRite did have a problem with the back-pad. Mine (and many others) broke, but they now have a new, better back-pad and replace the old one free of charge if yours breaks. For £150 I wouldn't hesitate.
You ask why they are selling after such a short time. The answer is probably that they've been told by a lot of people that they should have gone for a bp and harness instead.
It's soooooo cool and fashionable  

PS Mark, if it hasn't already got one, get a crotch strap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Nope was the new one. I actually preferred the old one, and wound up buying a TPII by mistake.

Chris

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

OK, go ahead and buy the tranpac and wing, get an SS plate and webbing, and I'll have the transpac harness off you. £20? OK, maybe £30.

Most users seem pretty happy with them who I've encountered, but then there aren't as many in my diving circles by a long way as those who use the SS plate combo.

I personally would have trouble trusting a lot of weight on one of those harnesses. Twin 12s and stages? Hmmm...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

Ok Mark so there are some negative commments about the harness but the wing is top notch ,me i've not experienced any of them problems but you are still getting £400 worth of kit for £150 very good if after 8 dives.The reason i bought the TPII was the vesatility of the modular design which could be changed and upgrade as and when did my diving.When i first bought mine i was diving single and pony , then i moved to twin 7's which worked great on the rec and now i recently got a set of twin 10's which i have dived with on this setup but am in the process of getting a backplate and harness and useing the rec wing for the twins.i will then buy a travel wing for the TPII harness for single and holiday diving.At that price if you did not feel comfortable diving it you sell the harness part on ebay(seen go for £80) which could buy you a bp and webbing and a couple of d-rings.
To me it's a no brainer worst case you could sell the lot on ebay and get more than you payed for it  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

MAL..

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Objective... I hope so,

Transpac 2, never ever had a problem with mine although it does somehow seem a bit fussier than a backplate/harness home build effort (But a lot less fussy than a BCD).

Recwing,  again no problems to date absolutely love it plenty of lift - especially debungeed and I just tiewrap the corners down to the backplate if using it with a single.  If you are planning to just use it for singles keep the bungees on.

I now use the Recwing on a backplate and harness for all diving.  Would I get rid of the transpac 2?  Not a chance, I use it for holidays because it is just so light.

Rip his arm off, you could even flog the TP2 on if you don't want it.

Daz

Anyone want to swap a ali backplate/STA for a TP2  

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Rip his arm off and quick !!!

Ive got a T2 and Trek wing and used them with nom probs for over a year on twin 12`s. I only moved to a BP/harness to see what the fuss was about. I use both and they are equal in terms of performance

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Well, Mark, did you go for it?

·
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Yes John, bought it today. A real bargain at £150. Thanks all for your input.

It looks like a real nice piece of kit. It doesn't have a crotch strap, so I'll get that sorted. It does have the weight pouches, which I'm pleased with, but no other pockets.

Does anybody have any recommendations for add-on cargo pockets? I presume there is a DiveRite version available - how about any better alternatives?

Opinions welcomed.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Sep. 08 2003,17:15)]Yes John, bought it today. A real bargain at £150. Thanks all for your input.

It looks like a real nice piece of kit. It doesn't have a crotch strap, so I'll get that sorted. It does have the weight pouches, which I'm pleased with, but no other pockets.

Does anybody have any recommendations for add-on cargo pockets? I presume there is a DiveRite version available - how about any better alternatives?

Opinions welcomed.
<font color='#000080'>Bellows style cargo pockets fitted to your dry suit will be much better than having pockets on the transpac itself. At least you will be able to keep the pockets when you sell the Transpac and buy a proper backplate/wing  

Regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I have two cargo pockets on my drysuit but I also have DiveRite's special pouch on the waistbelt and find it very useful. It has two compartments with zips. The larger one takes a decent-sized back-up torch, the smaller a Silva orienteerings compass and a Mini Q40 as back-up for my back-up torch. The pouch is flat and neat and really doesn't get in the way. If you decide to get it, Mark, make sure to attach it more or less permanently to the belt – the first one I had slipped off when I took my kit off before clambering back into the RIB and is now lying at the bottom of the Red Sea, complete with compass and two torches!

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

You got a good deal. If you are using this on a twinset, I`ve got a pair of stabilising plates you can have for a fiver !!!

·
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Mark - I thought I'd get separate thigh pockets to attatch to the harness so they could be used with both my drysuit and wetsuit. When (?) I sold the Transpac to get a "proper" backplate and harness I could always keep the pockets and fix them to that!

John - looking at the zipped pockets, which I presume thread onto the waistband, I'd imagine that they wouldn't fit alongside the weight pockets. I've also got some D-rings at the hip, which might get in the way. Can you enlighten me?

Kirky - I'm not on twins yet, but plan to in the future, so yes I'll have those plates from you. No hurry though, so let's just look out for an opportunity to get together on a dive and sort it from there.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Sep. 08 2003,23:54)]John - looking at the zipped pockets, which I presume thread onto the waistband, I'd imagine that they wouldn't fit alongside the weight pockets. I've also got some D-rings at the hip, which might get in the way. Can you enlighten me?
I haven't got the integrated weight version, Mark (have a Hydrotech weight harness), so I don't have that problem. I just phoned my local diveshop and asked them and they say whether or not there is room for both the pouch and integrated weights depends on the size of your stomach
A slim girl can forget it but for a somewhat rotund guy like me there is apparently no problem.
As regards the D-rings, the pouch is well in front of the right hip D-ring, so there is no interference there. I have my reel clipped to that D-ring.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,  I found it quite awkward to fit the 2 zip pocket and weight pouchs at the same time.  It is possible but you may have to move the D rings a bit.

I found the leg pouches work really well.

Daz

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

Hi mark i have a DR thigh pocket and there are pros and cons with it.
The best is that it can be used with anysuit and you can change its position on leg from hieght front/back and can be used if already have pockets on drysuit or you can leave it in the kit bag it take seconds to set up.The inside is divided by a mesh partition which behind goes slate,tables as not much room for anything else.the other con is there is not alot of room in the front i can just sqeeze in a standard dsmb and back up torch it does seem smaller than most dry suit bellows pockets.Mine is getting a bit old now and does have a habit of going for a little wander as the elasticated velcro seems not as strong as it used to may be time to strap on some bungee.Overall i like it and it has served well but i would still have one pocket on my dry and use this as an add on of course this depend on how much you take with you down there oh and it cost about £30.

Regards,

MAL..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts