YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have been looking in to divernet and some people are complaining about the jock's.  Knowing some of these guy's I think their humour is great.  Matt, are you serious, or are you having a laff.  You might have noticed that I have stopped posting in divernet, coz I think most people there are sad wankers who need to get a life.

Big Steph.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Imported post

I dont think that its a case of Divernet not liking the Scots - simply more of a different sort of posting.

I've been lurking on Divernet for quite some time and have to say that the style and content of recent postings has changed considerably since some of the more vocal SSAC posse joined in.  

Being a SSAC diver myself and having mixed with other clubs at Solstices/Training weekends etc I'd say this this is 'typical' SSAC humor - a bit close to the bone and scarily frank at times but not malicious in any way.  The problem is that a lot people dont realise this, and take it at face value.  Dont write divernet off Big Steph as its still a good site and has some good contributors (from where many a YD contributor started off I may add!).

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Steph
I'll make the same comments here as I made over there.
I have met in both the real and the virtual sense some great people via DNet. I hooked onto it because I wanted to seek out info on Diving, the topics can and sometimes do veer off slightly, but in general have stayed on the subject of diving. Recently a large percentage of the postings have had little or nothing to do with diving. I am sorry if I do not see the funny side of the postings maybe my humour is different from theirs, I made no comment about which nation these postings came from but that the Dnet site has become very intolerant of late of race/colour/sexual orientation - none of these have any bearing on diving. I'll dive with anyone that I consider safe, I see no reason to raise any other consideration. I like a banter as well as the next (I hope) and am quite happy for a bit of Anglo/Jock slanging so long as its humourous and light hearted. I do not wish to share toilet humour or racist/sexist/ageist or whatever comments nor do I wish to see a Dive forum turn into a political forum. If that puts me at odds with the rest of the community on this and other boards so be it, maybe its time I read more and post less.
Matt

(Edited by MATTBIN at 1:05 pm on Dec. 23, 2002)

(Edited by MATTBIN at 1:07 pm on Dec. 23, 2002)

(Edited by MATTBIN at 1:08 pm on Dec. 23, 2002)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Imported post

Matt - I think that most of us agree with you that there are certain things that we want to see posted on forums and certain things that we do not wish to see.

Everone has their own personal limits of acceptability and yours are obviously different to those of the posters which in turn will differ to mine and to others.  The beauty of forums such as these means that I can pick and choose the posts that I wish to read and those that i dont - either by content or by author.

The reason that we all contribute to this forum and similar ones is because we are all (mostly anyway!) divers and we enjoy the company of other divers.  We dont always agree with their opinions or their kit configuration(!), but I for one will alway respect their right to dive and post as they see fit (until such time that it gets dangerous to me or others).

Hope everyone has a very Merry Xmas and at least one opportunity to get some diving in over the festive period!

(Edited by Sam at 1:21 pm on Dec. 23, 2002)

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Sam
good points you raised, broadly I agree. It would be nice though if those that had recently joined whichever forum posted something/anything to do with diving, it is after all a diving forum, but you are right I should be more selective in that which I read.
I'll take that on-board.

Matt

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Posted my thoughts on DNet.  The problem with ignoring the large amount of dross is that it makes finding the good stuff so difficult.  The sheer volume of posts relegates stuff off the frist page when t hasn't even been read by half the folk...all so we can enjoy the "diver x takes a poo" stories.  Hmmm

Whilst "no holds barred" is great amongst friends it is best left there, I find.  You have to be careful not to offend on a forum, bearing in mind that what you write can easily be misinterpreted.  The defence of "it's humour" for any borderline comment doesn't cut it.

Seeing as the attitude upon arrival of the aforementioned contingent was "to get in and cause a ruck" it seems like their wish has been granted.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

I hear what you are saying Lou, but there are people responding to the 'drivel' which means that there is an interest, for example 'The war in Iraq' which there has been many postings from divernet regulars with opinions for and against.

What I thought was uncalled for was 'everydiver' calling Broon a twat!!  If he had the guts to say this to his face, well......I know what Broon would have done!! Anyhow, I considered the postings about vodaphones working in other parts of the world rather mundane, I did not moan.  yes, our humour must be different.  

These guy's take diving very seriously indeed, perhaps they use humour to get away from it so to speak.  However, I will e-mail Billy et al and ask them to cool it with their postings and to remember that it is a diving forum.  These guy's have been diving for many years and have a wealth of experience between them, knowledge that would be welcomed anywhere.  
Big Steph

(Edited by Big Steph at 3:16 pm on Dec. 23, 2002)

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Even I am with Matt and Lou on this one Stef. It's one of the reasons I came to YD. What I don't want to see is D/Net ending up with shit on It. There is always the point that the people moaning about the thread quality should try and start one themselves. The only threads that have been started recently have been started by SSAC members(even thogh very few have been diving related).

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I appreciate your input, Steph.  If the guys cool it a bit, and use the old e-mail or messenger for their personal stuff it'll all blow over as quickly as it came.  I am sure they are a wealth of knowledge but they aren't sharing it, which is a shame.

Peter, I think that the reason traffic has died off, apart from the SSAC lot is that people are out off posting amongst it.  Also the various boards see some ebb and flow in traffic.  Tek was dead but has perked up recently, for example.

Anyway, as long as it all settles out soon.  I won't be on the boards until New Year after tomorrow so I am sure it'll all be changed again by then!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I'm with Matt and Lou 100%. Long threads consisting mainly of infantile toilet humour do not belong on any diver forum. Nor do racist or homophobic comments. They are irelevant and frankly not the least amusing, regardless of whether they come from Scots or anybody else, in my opinion. I'm not usually for censorship but I feel some recent postings on the other forum should have been removed. By the way, Everydiver is a big, fit guy, so I'm not at all sure he would come off the worst if things got physical with someone from the Scottish contingent. Anyhow, let's try to keep the standard of THIS forum to the same high level it has been up to now.

(Edited by John Gulliver at 6:13 pm on Dec. 23, 2002)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Everydiver is a big, fit guy, so I'm not at all sure he would come off the worst if things got physical with someone from the Scottish contingent.  What makes you think that Broon is not a big fit guy himself?  Anyway, I spoke to Billy earlier today and he said he would stop putting toilet humour on the forum if it offends anyone.  

Big Steph.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I neither know nor care how big and fit Broon is but you people seemed to take it for granted he would crush Everydiver if it came to a scrap. That might be so, but it might also be wrong. Anyway, I'm glad to hear we are to be spared his "special" brand of humour from now on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from John Gulliver on 10:44 pm on Dec. 23, 2002
I neither know nor care how big and fit Broon is but you people seemed to take it for granted he would crush Everydiver if it came to a scrap. That might be so, but it might also be wrong. Anyway, I'm glad to hear we are to be spared his "special" brand of humour from now on.
<span =''>

Your words, that is not what I said, I did not mention anything about us taking anything for granted.  Read it again mate.  Anyway, the big man has been posting sensible contrbutions as he can often do.  Yes I agree his brand of humour is not for the likes of divernet, great to listen to in the pub after a few shandy's though.  It might be OK for here, who knows.  I notice he was slated for posting non diving related topics, but others seem to get away with it.  Like you say John, I like your self do not want to carry over arguments from another forum and let us all assume things are back to normal.

Take care and season's greetings.

Big Steph

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Steph
I am glad that we have put this behind us and that Broon/Billy will add his valuable knowledge to both/either forums it will be invaluable. Just a small point I wasnt aware any one individual was actually named or indeed any one nationality. Personally I felt that the 'flavour' of DNet was not what it had been and made my comments, if I had been out-voted I would have been happy to stay away from Dnet/YD. Yes you are correct there are some that use it as a chat line and some who veer off subject (God knows I can AND do) that is accepted I think by the majority and hopefully will continue. I have accepted Sams point also that I dont have to read it so hopefully we can all get down to some good debating of diving issues. The one Peter started re: Pony and buoyancy has sparked many a good idea and has moved off subject slightly onto another good point, lets hope we can all stay friends and debate with humour and good taste.
Happy Xmas to you all (Jock's etc. included)
Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Thank's very much Matt. Perhaps I do have my uses after all. I am thinking about doing a YD trip to the Sound of Mull in March/April. It might be fun If you make it along. If you want to break up your journey( I realise you are slightly further away than Yorkshire) I would give the dog the spare bed and you could have his kennel in the back garden.

Peter

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Bit unfair on the dog that one Pete. Would he ever go back in it I wonder. Laughed me nuts off! Good job I'm here all alone aint it. Mind you I have been the last 2 days.
Have a good one and dive safe.
Matt

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Divernet may not like the Jocks......but YD love 'em, so have a happy Christmas and fun-packed New Year.

I'll be raising a glass (a nip) to you kilt-wearing mad bastards come 'the Bells'.

So, regardless of your ethnicity, persuassion, dive style, club/agency, which side you dress, rich or poor, gay or straight, religion etc. ALL HAVE A TOP TIME AND DIVE SAFE.

We all look forward to getting wet with as many of you as we can in 2003.

Cheers,

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

As an Englishman currently living in Embra and working in Weegieville. Festive felicitations to you all.

YD is a great resource but it does rely on people wanting to get on with each other. My hope AND my theory is that folk who will end up diving together at some point are more likely to think before they press the SUBMIT button.

I look forward to diving with many of you next year and Oban, Scapa, The Lakes, South Coast, St Abbs, N Berwickand the Firth of Clyde are just some on the list. I'll be in Oban at the end of Jan.

I probably won't be back online until the New Year (but who knows) cos I'm leaving the warm but wet environs of Scotland to head to The Philippines for a "bit of a wet" with my darling wife Fi(get me a big pressie please.)

Happy Christmas, a great Hogmanay and a playful New Year to you all.

For the Scots and those visiting Scotland over the festive period check out http://www.s1play.com for details of some of the many things you can do in the pearl of the UK.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Hi Big Steph, I didn't notice handbag net not liking Scots though I sometimes wish the whole tribe would get out of Wales and go back to Ireland, but over the centuries they have picked up so many bad habits and got themselves mixed up with Dutchman and Dane's it just wouldn't be fair to the descendants of lost Portuguese fisherman who now live there.  
I find Hangbag net a very polite place compared to the SSAC forum.  I remember the SSAC forum had plenty of people who slated everyone and everything. Creative insulting comments was raised to an art form, do you remember the can't be arse'd verbally abusive trainee at Largs Marina and who said Renfrew Mike should wear a balaclava and carry a baseball bat?
Handbag net doesn't have the crude comments like, "Pul yer foreskin over yer hedd", but that was positive proof how the deranged can be taught to dive and become computer smart when they live in the community instead of being kept at Carstairs.  They are a bit behind in social development down south though I expect to get contributions from the Forest of Dean soon which I am told is very progressive.        
Without Fireman Sam, it may seem Handbag net has only a few nicker twisted PC's types one of whom if it rings any bells I'm tempted to ask "Do you come from Edinburgh"  The rest are mostly straight with little sense of humour though top banana is showing promise.
Talking about straight people anyone seen Clydebank Keith. I wonder where he's lurking.          

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.