YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I haven't been able to get into Divernet since yesterday lunchtime. Anyone else having problems?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Yep,

Ever since the recent upgrade it's been up-n-down like a bride's nightie!

Never mind, there's more than enough to keep us going on here Gully - just go through some of the archive stuff and fire a post in on one of those subjects.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>up and running now.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Here's the latest from Mike, Webmaster at D-net, in response to my query:

"Hi Bren,

Not exactly. Divernet is operational, its only the forums that have a problem at the moment. We hope to get this fixed soon as apparently we need to rebuild the server, then all will be well.

Mike

At 16:49 19/08/03 +0100, you wrote:

>Hey Mike,
>
>D-net, as far as I can tell, has been down for the last two days! Any news??
>
>Bren Tierney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Busuttili                  [email protected]
Webmaster                       <http://www.divernet.com>
DIVERNET                        <http://www.diverforum.co.uk>
UCI                             <http://www.under-water.co.uk>

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Latest:

"Hi Bren,

We'll announce it on the forum front page as soon as its back. Hope it won't be too long now - should give us more stability afterwards.

Mike"

At 12:45 21/08/03 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Mike,
>
>Any news on when D-net will be back on line?? Still a no-show for me at the moment!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Bren Tierney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Busuttili                  [email protected]
Webmaster                       <http://www.divernet.com>
DIVERNET                        <http://www.diverforum.co.uk>
UCI                             <http://www.under-water.co.uk>

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I think it's time D/Net was taken out the back, shot and turned into glue.

Perter

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darren A @ Aug. 26 2003,14:10)]Would be quite interesting to know if the traffic on this site (posts read/replies made) has increased since DNet has been down?
Wouldn't be surprised, I don't know about stats, Divernet shows none, or I cant find them.

What I do know is that this forum always appears to be busier than either Divernet of the BSAC forums. This is probably due to its friendly, non-denominational attraction. I don't find Divernet at all friendly (never done the rec scuba stuff!), and I wonder if anyone at all would use it if BSAC have never changed magazine from Diver.

G

·
Imported post

[/QUOTE]What I do know is that this forum always appears to be busier than either Divernet of the BSAC forums. This is probably due to its friendly, non-denominational attraction. I don't find Divernet at all friendly (never done the rec scuba stuff!), and I wonder if anyone at all would use it if BSAC have never changed magazine from Diver.  

So how can it not be friendly?

Never had a warning from them,
Never seen a post of mine removed,
Never seen any one banned,
Dont have to log in just to look at forums,
And whats the site got to do with the Mag? Two seperate things, same company, I dont get any mag's but I do look at sites.

I M A Bach

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ian Mark A Bach @ Aug. 28 2003,07:28)]So how can it not be friendly?

Never had a warning from them,
Never seen a post of mine removed,
Never seen any one banned,
Not the site, but the people. While there are spats here, there would appear to be those who get to do and say what they like on Divernet. SickDiver comes to mind. You can try to ignore them, but they rather spoil the flow of discussion. Its not for nothing it has the nickname of Handbagnet.

I don't know who moderates it, I doubt it's Mike Busuttili as the Diver site is not his only work.

As an aside, I find the Anyboard software old fashioned and rather clunky. When I was looking for for forum software for a commercial site, Anyboard did not even get considered. I had already rejected it before the project came up. There are many slicker products around, many of them free. Ikonboard, used here, is just one of them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dont have to log in just to look at forums,
I agree with you here. Many sites allow you to read, pust not post unless signed up. The member stats would probably reflect active members better if those who joined to read, never posted and moved on could be discounted. I wonder how many members have zero posts.

I suspect the signing on business is about the cost of running the site. If a browser is not interested enough to sign on, then perhaps they would not make good members, and they just move on. Saving the money spend sending all the page requests. Do that enough times and the savings can make a difference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And whats the site got to do with the Mag? Two seperate things, same company, I dont get any mag's but I do look at sites.
Well, seeing as most of the articles come from the mag, quite a lot. The forum may be additional to this, but had BSAC still used the Diver mag, the forums may have been much more BSAC orientated, or even be the BSAC forums. My original post WAS speculative on this point.

Adrian

PS. Perhaps Diver don't find the forums too important a service anyway. They are still down after 10 days.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Dude,

No one forces you to come here, if ya don't like it, then the exit is in the same place as the entrance.......

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Aug. 28 2003,09:20)]I don't know who moderates it, I doubt it's Mike Busuttili as the Diver site is not his only work.
The moderator is the delightful Louise Trewavas, editor of Dive Girl and the UK's mostest lady techy.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Aug. 28 2003,11:07)]Dude,

No one forces you to come here, if ya don't like it, then the exit is in the same place as the entrance.......
Not sure if you mean me Bren, but if so, you most definitely have the wrong end of the stick. If i did not like it here, I still wouldn't be here. The discussion is mostly about Divernet, not YD.

If you don't mean me, no worries mate.  

Adrian

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Aug. 28 2003,12:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Aug. 28 2003,09:20)]I don't know who moderates it, I doubt it's Mike Busuttili as the Diver site is not his only work.
The moderator is the delightful Louise Trewavas, editor of Dive Girl and the UK's mostest lady techy.
Cheers John, I should have remembered.

My memory is getting like a bowl shaped thing with holes in it.

Adrian

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Aug. 28 2003,12:07)]Not sure if you mean me Bren,

Adrian
Hey Adrian,

I absolutely do NOT mean you mate! All we ever seem to get from this 'I'm Back' (wonder who that could be?) character is trolling posts and those that seem to set out to be deliberately contrary.

Sorry for any confusion mate.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Aug. 28 2003,12:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Aug. 28 2003,12:07)]Not sure if you mean me Bren,

Adrian
Hey Adrian,

I absolutely do NOT mean you mate! All we ever seem to get from this 'I'm Back' (wonder who that could be?) character is trolling posts and those that seem to set out to be deliberately contrary.

Sorry for any confusion mate.
No problem Bren, it seems I've missed some history.

Adrian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

Update from DNet ref the website and forums...

>>>
OFF-LINE WARNING
Divernet will be off-line for planned maintenance tomorrow Friday 29.8.03 from approx. 09.00 local. We anticipate a return to normal service by the evening. This will allow us to ensure a reliable service, and get the Forums back in gear!
<<<

Hopefully this might mean its working again..!  

1 - 18 of 18 Posts