YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Divernet\'s Top 100 Wreck Tours

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Paul Oliver 
#1 ·
Imported post

Does your experience and opinion tally with these? Have a good swatch, as some of these are gonna start appearing as Planned Trips for the YD Troop. Enjoy.

http://www.divernet.com/wrecks/wrecktours.htm

Don't be shy in making suggestions for a Troop Gig once you've found one (or more!) you like.

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 2:04 pm on Feb. 4, 2003)

#4 ·
Imported post

Hi
There is little, if nothing left of the FORFARSHIRE, although the area makes an excellent drift dive.
The ABESSINA, as it is correctly called, is also a very poor wreck, but the dive is excellent, with lots of first class scenery and heaps life around and very strong tides. I don't know where Kendall picked them from?
?
?

Cheers Ron

#5 ·
Imported post

the totne's castle in plymouth, 44m and triff to say the least and on my last visit absolutely writhing in conger.
failing that it would have to be LST507 at slapton sand's or the empress of india at 50m ish if i recall correctly.

regards

nitrox  

#8 ·
Imported post

I was talking (e-mailing) with a Canadian diver recently who told me that many of their wrecks (in the Great lakes), including some dating back to the Napoleonic era are intact, including their contents (swords etc) as there is a strict "look, don't touch" ethos in force over there, bit different from over here eh?
Chee-az
Steve

#9 ·
Imported post

The Moldavia is at No 3 and it is a top class wreck. Dived it twice this year and had 15m viz in Jan and 10 today. In the high seasion I have herd that 30m viz is not uncommon.
Fish aplenty, scarey big crabs, very scarey big Ling and Conga and over 1000 portholes what more could you ask.

Pete found a role top bath today??? Mmmmmm big lift bag

Defiant is a great boat out of Littlehampton fast and comfortable, Microwave and a lift too. Any one who wants to have a crack at it in the summer let me know and I will sort it if we can put together a group of 10 -12 divers.

All the best

Mark Chase

#11 ·
Imported post

Bren,

Loanda at 19 is a bit high, i dived it about 8 times last year but we use it as our beginers first Channel dive. Its OK, you can always get a Pipe or bottle of Perfume or Champers. 18m to top of rear deck, 20m in hold down to 25 on seabed. But No 19? I can name about 40 better one's off Dover alone. She is a good bad fall back dive in bad weather.

HMS Hood at 32? Its convenient but not that convenient.

Toward at 58, possibly. Nice wreck you can swim the length of inside, but its completly covered in muscles. Not one i rush back to but worth a try. HMS Bonar Law is 200m away (Armed Trawler WW1) and i'd sooner dive that - more lobsters on it till i get there. (Sorry Steve W).

Pomerania at 68. OK a good big liner, i've had a few good dives on her, yet to find any gold coins yet (Suprise).

Preussen at 96? Well we go past her all the time, her masts stick out the sea at LW, but she is so close to shore below the cliffs where is stirs up so much, we have never botherd with her. Was the biggest sailing ship built when she went down.

Andy Nye - Have you done her? The Preussen i mean.

Summary - Useful info but not sure about the batting order, would certainly put the likes of The Strathclyde right up there, but then Kendal did not get her in Dive Kent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.