YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I very rarely log onto Divernet but had a quick peek today and seen that it's been taken over by some idiot constantly posting stupid threads and childish replies, presumably trying to disrupt the forum. Shame really - hope it doesn't happen here . . .

. . . Hang on a minute . . .

. . . Suddenly Porg starts to make sense!  

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>yes, quite amusing really - though probably not if it carries on.

what got me was the people who didn't seem to realise it was a troll, and were seriously arguing with his/her points!  

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I've got my suspicions who it is! It's JG I feel sorry for, though I'm sure he doesn't need my sympathy, this tit seems to have picked on him.

Peter

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I suspect John couldn't care less about sad little Trolls like the person or persons responsible for the garbage going on over there. I woudn't mind so much if it was actually funny, it just comes across as pathetic to my way of thinking. If he/she/they try it over here I hope Jay blocks their IP address (assuming that's technically possible)

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Blocking is possible and Vic has suggested to JB the way to do it, further to that he has also traced whence the posts have come from and the guy/girl is doing it from work, which isnt such a good idea knowing most company's policies are pretty tough on that sort of stupidity during what should be work time.

Personally I think it best if we all ignore the Wally and hopefully it/he/she will get bored and go away (or similar words anyway)

I am sure John knows how we all feel but supporting him over there would probably make it worse.

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Blocking is an issue as the only IP addresses we get are the ones assigned each time someone logs on - we don't get their machines unique ID. We can block that particular IP but they may not get it next time. We can also block a series of IP addresses (eg 192.168.*.*) but that blocks all logins from that ISP which is no good. We can block email addresses though so they have to go through the hassle of setting up accounts each time and eventually give up normally.

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Imported post

The point is that the original post was funny.  Clearly a wind up but those who are perhaps a bit too serious took it serious and started arguing back.  Now ive the utmost respect for many people on here and dnet but come on guys lighten up. Dnet has becom very dull and initially it gave most readers a small light titter but just ignore the posts they soon drop off the front screen.  Hassling the web bloke just gives fuel to the original [email protected]***r to keep the thing going.

Answer is just dont respond

So if the same posts appear here ignore em. He'll soon go away

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>How come when I log at uni it recognises it's me and i don't have to log in each and every time i come to YD? just wondering really.....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Feb. 06 2004,17:41)]yes, quite amusing really - though probably not if it carries on.

what got me was the people who didn't seem to realise it was a troll, and were seriously arguing with his/her points!  
Actually most of the posts by people apparently seriously arguing against his posts were actually posted by the same guy under different aliases. Apart from the dozen or so variations of my name, he's used umpteen different aliases, about 10 just today, in different threads he's stared or hijacked. Hopefully, he's about to get what's coming to him.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Feb. 06 2004,21:10)]How come when I log at uni it recognises it's me and i don't have to log in each and every time i come to YD? just wondering really.....
Cookies!!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Feb. 06 2004,18:06)]I suspect John couldn't care less about sad little Trolls like the person or persons responsible for the garbage going on over there. I woudn't mind so much if it was actually funny, it just comes across as pathetic to my way of thinking. If he/she/they try it over here I hope Jay blocks their IP address (assuming that's technically possible)
Actually, I'm getting very tired of it. Not everybody seems to have seen through him, unfortunately. And, yes, it is technically possible to deny him access to the forum.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Feb. 06 2004,18:00)]I've got my suspicions who it is! It's JG I feel sorry for, though I'm sure he doesn't need my sympathy, this tit seems to have picked on him.

Peter
The culprit has been identified. 'Nuf said.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Feb. 06 2004,22:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Feb. 06 2004,21:10)]How come when I log at uni it recognises it's me and i don't have to log in each and every time i come to YD? just wondering really.....
Cookies!!!
<font color='#F52887'>ok I am just being thick but I thought they worked from one machine ie my PC at home not like Uni where I log on to multiple PCs throughout the day.  

and of course everyone one knows that double choc chip cookies are the best  

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Mary

Your uni user account may be set up to store your info, cookies etc on a server, so it is available wherever you login. That how our work system does it.

Adrian

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Feb. 07 2004,09:10)]and of course everyone one knows that double choc chip cookies are the best  
As far as I am concerned you have a fine grasp of the important aspects of understanding cookies.      

mmmmmm  double choc chip cookies...  

Daz

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The culprit has been identified. 'Nuf said.
Who was it then? I've not been on Dnet for ages and this is exactly why.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I have suggested that the way to stop some of theses twats is not to accept any Web-based email addresses that way it will take you longer to set up a new account on an ISP. it takes a couple of minutes to setup a new hotmail account. also why do some profiles on D-net not seem to have any email address on them either?

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JohnDuncan @ Feb. 09 2004,11:02)]I have suggested that the way to stop some of theses twats is not to accept any Web-based email addresses
<font color='#000080'>but that would leave a lot of genuine posters in trouble. not everyone has email at work.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts