YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm pleased to report that after some "eleventh hour" too-ing and fro-ing the day at Divesite X went ahead !
We (my girlfriend Liz & I) arrived about 10ish expecting hook up with Timing and Paul C. Spotting another car the same as mine I wondered if there may have been some mistaken identity already - there had! Timing had arrived first and found the other car was not us. Paul C arrived a little later (slightly delayed by having to collect his weight belt), so after introductions all round we discussed dive plans and headed for the water. Whilst Paul & Tim headed for Cathedral Rock, Liz and I headed for Big Green Carr as we both hadn't dived for some months and I was using my twinset for the first time and didn't want to stray too far, plus this was my first dive since going "independant" and I was acutely aware of the lack of shore cover and O2 (I should add I have a friend who almost died on a 17 metre dive at Abbs, fortunately there WAS O2 at that time).

Water was a pleasant 13 degrees C and viz about 5-6 metres.
After some kit checking we set off to explore the Carr. Plenty of the usual 'Dead mans fingers', urchins, a good few lobsters and of course acres of kelp.

However, little did we know about the treat we had instore! There is a large crevice about half way along the left hand side (from the entry point) of the Carr, I shone my torch in there and saw nothing so moved off after a while. Almost immediately Liz tigged at my fin to bring me back, looking out of the crevice was a very sizable Wolf-fish! "Hoozah!!" thought I, being really pleased for Liz as she had never seen one before. Wolfie moved out of his crevice and I instinctively tucked my hands in (he could easily take off a finger if he decided to do so) as I hovered a foot or two above the sea-bed. He came towards me leaving his hiding place entirely, at about 1.25 metres long he was the biggest I've seen.  The Wolf-fish manoeuvred beneath me, "Arrg!!!" I thought and wondered how much protection my suit would provide if he decided to have a nibble at the "family jewels" (not very much I decided). My fears were unfounded as he simply settled on the sea-bed apparently waiting to be fed (as some divers are known to crack open an urchin for them). I even got to touch him without him moving away. After a while he went over to Liz and did the same using her as 'cover'. It seems that instinctivly they will make for overhead cover. We both exchanged furious 'OK' signs before he headed back for safety. We ambled around most of the rest of the Carr before heading back via the same route and looking into the crevice again - once again our blue pal popped out for a look see (cool!). After about five minutes he seemed to reckon that he'd 'been had' as no food was forthcoming and he moved off around the Carr.

Liz and I exited without incident after a 55 minute dive feeling very elated. Later we did a lap of Seagull Rock and went through some mask clearing and air-sharing, saw a rather fine specimen of (I think) Dab too.

Paul and Tim had a couple of good sightings too but I will let them tell you about it theirselves.

All in all a Grand Day Out - hopefully the first of many more.
Cheers
Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 9:57 pm on Sep. 22, 2002)

(Edited by Steve W at 10:03 pm on Sep. 22, 2002)

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steve,

nice report, just posted mine too.  Really jealous about that wolf fish encounter - actually I think that should be a sin - "Thou shalt not covet another divers sightings".

It was good to meet up with you and Liz - hopefully do it again sometime.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

HeHeHe.... So you met the resident wolf fish, outstanding... E's a big bugger aint he.

I once stuck my face right into his lair and had him staring back into my mask until 'I' bottled it.... felt sure he was gonna lunge and it scared me.. A lot!

Really pleased you had a good dive or two mate, I look forward to us all meeting up sometime soon....

Good report, keep these babies coming

All the best
Dave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts